“Poor customer service!”

Jameson Inn Wilmington
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
“Poor customer service!”
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Refused to guarantee a bed request prior to arrival! I am a customer service manager for a living and find it appalling that once a person has paid for their room they cannot tell you until you arrive what size bed/beds you will get! This should be a "first come first served situation" and they do not book that way. Never again!

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Yanksgrl
jam108, General Manager at Jameson Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Yanksgrl

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that you were not pleased with our policy regarding room type selections; however, we do guarantee bed types & smoking preferences when the reservations are made directly with the hotel or through the Jameson Inn website. When rooms are booked through third party web sites or promotional rate programs, we simply cannot guarantee the bed type or smoking preference of the room as these are assigned on the day of arrival based on what is available at the hotel. We do hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you in the future.

Stephanie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lillington
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The woman at the front desk was fantastic. She checked us in quickly and even gave us a map to get to the Johnny Mercer Pier in Wrightsville Beach. The rooms were fantastic and extremely clean even for a smoking room which we requested and they gave to us with no problems. The lady working the third floor cleaning was absolutely a sweetheart. The hotel was easy to find, no issues at all. The location is fantastic in that this hotel is near EVERYTHING!!!! The Inn was quiet for the most part. The continental breakfast was to die for. It had anything you could think of. The waffles were really good. Will be back. Loved it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I just spent three nights at the Jameson Inn in Wilmington and found it to be very nice. Night staff was exceptionally friendly, day staff OK. Rooms were clean, needs some updating but nice.
Didn't have any complaints and would stay again if I have a need to visit Wilmington and this review is not fake.
I do agree that I don't think it necessary for the cleaning crew to have their cell phones with them. A good value through priceline.
Breakfast was fine, something for everyone.

Room Tip: Just make sure you request a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed over the Easter weekend. Someone had been smoking in the first "non-smoking" room they gave me, but they quickly moved me into a truly smoke-free room with no muss or fuss. Rooms are small, but mine on the second floor was clean, in contrast to what other travellers have experienced.

What bothered me about my stay were the other guests. I have noted a rapid decline in civility and manners in other travellers. When my "neighbors" came back in at 1 a.m. from a night on the town, they yelled up and down the hall, and allowed their doors to slam shut repeatedly. Someone else beat me to the phone to call management, who came up and quieted the people down. They left the halls, but once in their room, continued their vulgur and obnoxious conversations in very loud voices.

I ended up checking out the next morining and returned home, not because of dis-satisfaction with the room, but because I did not care to be subjected to another sleepless night of repugnant behavior.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Roadscholar2000
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2013

It's really hard to write a bad review. But this hotel doesn't even try.

My wife and I were afraid to sit down for fear something would bite us. The rooms smell, have sticky nasty carpet, and are so badly out of date that I'd be more comfortable staying somewhere else.

It's amazing how rude the staff are. Other reviews talk about the housekeepers on phones. That's all I ever saw. Heaven forbid if they actually cleaned. I'm sorry. That room had NOT been cleaned prior to me checking in. I felt like I was in a trashy motel instead of a 3 star hotel.

Just like others here I couldn't do anything about checking out because priceline already paid them and priceline offers no guarantees on the rooms or quality. Just pay the extra money to stay next door. I would have gladly paid more if I knew about this place before I booked.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PerkJerk
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I was traveling to Wilmington as a representative of the North Carolina Consumers Council on business and got a great deal for this room, or so I thought. My official recommendation is to avoid this hotel at all costs. It is NOT consumer friendly, has poor customer service, and does not offer value for the money. It is in need of a serious top-to-bottom cleaning and serious updating.

Not a bad location at all and the outside of the property looked inviting. So what could go wrong!?

The advertisements make this place sound great and pleasant... Honestly, though, most of these reviews sound so similar that I wonder if they were written by an employee of the hotel. I have yet to verify a single positive review.

This place is the WORST I've ever stayed in... and I've stayed in run down motels. It was utterly disgusting. The front desk folks were OK, but they acted like they didn't want to be bothered with me. The guy checking me in barely said a word to me. What 21st century business still makes imprints of cards and still does everything with paper? Expect a long check in/ check out if there are people in front of you.

Take the stairs. It's quicker than that elevator. Be careful, too, since the floors aren't always level.
?
The room was dated. Even the vanity is in the sleeping area. Who does that? Larger folks might need to open the bathroom door to do anything since it's so small.

My allergies went crazy in this room. The smell of cigarette smoke made me feel like I was in some dingy basement bar back in the 60s. There were cigarette burns all over the bed and there were long black hairs on the inside and outside the pillow cases, the bed sheets, the vanity, the tile, the bathtub, etc. The toilet rocked back and forth and seriously needed to be tightened to the floor. The shower knob was loose and kept falling off and the tub stopper wouldn't stay up, so expect a foot bath while taking a shower. Two cracks in the tub made me wonder if I was leaking water downstairs. The molding in the bathroom was coming off the wall and they painted over the wallpaper in places. The bathroom fan sounded like a Boeing 767 taking off and didn't do anything for the ventilation.

The carpet was DISGUSTING. It feels as if it hasn't been cleaned since it was installed, which I think was sometime in 1980. It was STICKY and had stains everywhere. You could easily tell where no one vacuumed against the walls as there was a clear trail of old dust and dirt. There were cobwebs in the corner and dust everywhere. Even the pictures on the wall had dirt on the glass.

I felt really good about the locks on the windows. One was missing and the other was destroyed. The doors leading outside the stairwell DON'T secure after you go out, so there's a good chance someone can get in after hours.

There was a recliner in the room with a broken arm and cuts in the fabric. The bed spread was frayed. The desk is about two feet taller than the chair, so if you bring a laptop expect to stand in order to work. The security latch on the room door was falling out and didn't offer much comfort.

We ended up buying candles and air freshener to help with the noxious smell. It didn't help much, but made me feel like I was doing something.

The bed was big, but rock hard.

I complained to the front desk and asked about switching rooms. I was told "well I'm not a house keeper." OK! I wasn't mean about it. Just asked if there was a non-smoking room. I was told that the smoking rooms aren't as clean as the non-smoking rooms. There were supposedly no empty rooms despite a barren parking lot.

The A/C was pitiful. It kept turning itself off. Light bulbs were blown in the room. The lampshades were torn and one wasn't even attached to the lamp. The inside of the coffee maker was nasty. The brand new 37 inch TVs were nice.... but there was static and garbage on every channel. What good is a new TV without reception?

Walking through the halls, the housekeeping staff were on telephones talking to people and complaining that their schedules and assignments had changed. They wouldn't even acknowledge me. That's sad.

Don't bother with the pitiful excuse of a continental breakfast. It's just a few prepackaged items that taste like they were made in the 60s. I could go eat a rock from outside and it would have tasted better.

I don't give this hotel much credit. It's old, dated, smells, and has poor service. Going anywhere else seems to be a sure bet.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank wombatmatty
jam108, General Manager at Jameson Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Wombatmatty,

I am so sorry to read this review of your recent stay with us. I apologize for the inconvencies you incurred during your stay. Unfortunately, when you book on sites such as priceline, smoking preference and bed type cannot be guaranteed. I do expect; however, that our guests would find clean, comfortable rooms and I am sorry this was not the case for you. If you would contact me directly, I would be happy to further discuss this with you. You may reach me at 910-452-5660.

Stephanie Gilbert
Goose Creek, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

My family was in a accident on New Year's Day. The Hospital made arraignments for them at the Hotel. The staff was excellent esp. when Our 3 year old Grandson cried and cried because He was scared. We stayed for 2 nights, had 2 rooms, free breakfast in the mornings, all for a great price. The Hotel is just off market street and convenient to stores and restaurants. The rooms had a microwave and refrigerator. Two beds that had a good support. The entire hotel was very clean and we will stay there the next time we are in Wilmington. The asst. Manager offered to let me use His cell phone charger until I could get one. The Manager was extra nice to us also. The night clerk went out of Her way to be Kind to Us!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
jam108, General Manager at Jameson Inn Wilmington, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear Carole56,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. We are so thankful that no one in your family was hurt after your accident and glad that we were able to provide you some comfort after your ordeal. We take pride in offering our guests a clean, comfortable room and a deluxe continental breakfast at an affordable price. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Wilmington and hope that it is under more pleasant circumstances.

Stephanie