“No Southern Charm Here!!”
Review of The Wilmingtonian

The Wilmingtonian
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 8 March 2006

My husband and I had hoped for a well needed rest for the long weekend. What we got was a room that was either freezing or overheated. The wi-fi was not reliable either. The converted apartment building has no elevator nor is there any staff help to get heavy luggage up to the 3rd floor when the dumb waiter isn't working. We did enjoy the quaint continental breakfast service delivered to our room every morning. The hotel is located in a wonderful area of downtown, but we had trouble finding parking after going out at night. The staff was pleasant but offered no resolution to our problems. We'll return to Wilmington, but not to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank Mirth60

Reviewed 12 February 2006

I was somewhat aghast to see negative reviews of accomodations that our son and future daughter-in-law were recommending to guests for their upcoming wedding. We decided to do a test run of the Wilmingtonian and were pleasantly surprised and pleased. All the rooms have a small kitchen and living area, and ours even had a washer and dryer. Unlike previous reviewers opinions, we felt that the rooms were clean, parking was a breeze, and the location was great. We stayed in the Cinema House, and at least from the outside, all other buildings appeared to be well taken care of also. We plan to stay in the compound for the wedding and would easily recommend it to our wedding guests.

1  Thank JMS28409
Pinetops, NC
Reviewed 23 August 2005

I stayed at the Wilmingtonian because my best friend's wedding was next door so the location was very convenient. However, I was very disappointed with my room--the floors and furniture were dirty, linens were limited, the bed took all the space in the bedroom and the bathroom door wouldn't close.

I had problems with the billiing, resulting in several talks with "manager" and other employees--they took care of the discrepancy but wasted 2 hours of my time doing so. Parking was horrible.

I was originally impressed by the appearance of the inn but after gettting a closer view realized the impression is entirely superficial. I will not stay at the Wilmingtonian again, nor will I recommend it to others.

Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Farmville, NC
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I booked this room on the internet and thought it was a good deal. I arrived to a room that at first glance was very nice, but upon inspection turned out to be quite nasty. I stayed in the Hunter suite and it was decorated with a lot of wood. However, the wood sutters, floors, moldings, bathroom corners, and bedroom were very, very dusty and grey (not polishished). There was leftover residue in the kitchen sink from the last guest which I refused to put my hand in to clean. The bathroom had less than 1/2 a roll of toilet paper and the sink was so low with strands of hair! The bed was a four poster, high bed that took up the entire room. I tried to move it over so that I could get to the shelves and realized that the door wouldn't close. There was a hole in the wall next to the bed which they may have been trying to hide. The coffeemaker had leftover residue (so that wasn't cleaned good either). Overall, for the money spent, I have stayed at better, cheaper places. Our room was right at the corner over the registration building so you could imagine the loud music cruising the block, not to mention the girls hanging over the balcony across the street evidently inebriated and loud. I checked out the next day and will never go back!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 July 2005

Our stay at the Wilmingtonian was disappointing considering the price, photos and description on their website. For $165/night, we were assigned - not to the beautiful southern mansion - but to a 3-story converted apartment building. Our "porch" was the walkway between rooms and did have two rocking chairs to enjoy the night air. However, the porch overlooked the unsightly and noisy air conditioning units in the next building. The flower garden was under construction with mud and rocks everywhere - even though it was in the middle of the blooming season. The parking was a nightmare as they seem to only have about 20 parking spaces for the entire hotel. On street parking is limited to 2-hour meters and the residential neighborhood parking a block away resulted in a $30 parking ticket.

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2005

We had occasion to travel to Wilmington and I selected the Wilmingtonian Inn. It looked good on the web site and would say that is fair representation. We booked one of their better suites which had 2 fireplaces (1 did not work), a sink that drained very slowly, the breakfast service is plastic saucers, the cheese tray came with no knife...all small items which can be easily sorted with some effort.

The billing process, same as earlier post was poor. The first rule of packages....the total cost MUST be less than the sum of the components. Not here. The Valentines package (I purchased) was overpriced for they inadvertently charged me rack rate and it was cheaper, leaving aside their system only showed us on the hotel for one night and I could have paid and left at check out but I correctly volunteered to make payment for two nights. I was charged for dinner and then it was added to my room charge....so I needed to follow up with AmEx as the hotel never called me as promised.

The staff are all very friendly. The business center is nice and wifi throughout property is great.

Would I return, or send my friends....doubtful. It was OK, but it could be so much better, which is unfortunate because the location is terriffic.

4  Thank Gordondd9
Reviewed 20 January 2005

My girlfriend and I decided to take a little mini-vacation. I found this place online and the reviews were good. They had a package deal for a couple of days and dinner at the city club restaurant for $409. Sounded like a great deal.

The good: Great location in a beautifuk old mansion. Our room was in the de la Rosset house, which is the same building that the City Club is located. Suite was very big with a very big jacuzzi tub and fireplace, as well as dvd/vcr with a decent amount of VHS tapes to check out free of charge. The dinner at the City Club was amazing, and the package included tax and gratuity, which was nice. The staff was extremely courteos. The place is in a good location and just a short drive from three main beaches.

The bad: the fireplace was gas and the pilot light kept blowing out. The bathroom was absolutely freezing as the cold air kept blowing in (we visited in January). The room was more like a studio apartment you see in old large old homes that have been converted into multiple dwellings. The view from our room was horrible, Although we were on the third floor, our view over looked the tops of some buildings. We slept in the first morning we were there, so we didn't leave the room until noon. We came back and our room wasn't restocked with lines and all of that. The front desk told us that the housekeeping staff leaves around noon or one o'clock. That would have been nice to know in advance. Our package was supposed to be $479 after taxes including everything and they tried to charge us $519. I had the email confirmation that sais total price included all taxes was $479 so they adjusted accordingly and actually took a little bit more off. The parking is very limited as well and if you are not lucky enough to get a spot in their lot, you will have to feed the meters on the city streets. This wasn't a problem since we were ther ein the off-season. The problem was that the lot was not very close to the room. Also, we expected it to more like a true bed and breakfast and it was actually a lot more like a hotel.

Overall, not worth the money spent and I will look for somewhere else to stay next time.

9  Thank groove1