Rather than a grand old place, this hotel is a group of well-kept buildings very close to the historic district. It is was enjoyable walking around the old neighborhoods and down along the Riverwalk. There was no shortage of nice restaurants to choose from. A lively night scene for young folks, too, and not too noisy. The area was quiet at night despite being close to downtown.
The unit we stayed in (Cinema) had no elevator. Our room was on the third floor which did not bode well for our old joints, so they kindly moved us to a lower floor. The young man who worked there showed us to our building but did not offer to help with luggage or tell us about the luggage "dumb-waiter". The stairs were like climbing a ladder they were so steep. But the room was clean and comfortable. I particularly liked having a washer and dryer to use after a day at the beach. Each room has a little sitting area on the porch with 2 rocking chairs and a ceiling fan that we enjoyed. We appreciated the free off-street parking.
We drove to Wrightsville Beach, about 25 minutes, away which was a gorgeous beach with great waves.
We made dinner reservations at the City Club next door. We did not realize it was a private club for members and hotel guests only. It was quite the treat, we enjoyed good wine and a tasty meal in this old southern mansion. Earlier in the day, I saw one of the restaurant folks picking fresh herbs in the hotel garden. The fish tasted like it just came off the boat, too. We look forward to going back. We'll ask for a first floor room!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is located in historic, downtown Wilmington surrounded by beautifully restored 19th-century homes and tree-lined neighborhoods, the meticulously renovated Wilmingtonian Inn extends an invitation to unwind, relax, and absorb the romantic ambiance of Cape Fear Country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Wilmingtonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Wilmingtonian Hotel Wilmington
- Wilmingtonian Hotel Wilmington