“Pleasant and unique hotel in great location”
Review of The Wilmingtonian

The Wilmingtonian
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pleasant and unique hotel in great location”
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a wedding recently and very much enjoyed our stay. It was nice to stay somewhere other than a big box retailer. The rooms were quaint, each with their own unique theme. You certainly can't beat the location as it is right in the middle of historic downtown and an easy walk to great restaurants and nightlife. The price is reasonable, especially when you consider that they don't charge for parking or internet (like most of the big box). Overall, a pleasant visit and I would certainly recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
erich1102, Front Office Manager at The Wilmingtonian, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Thank you for this kind review. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband and I booked a room in this hotel based on the recommendation of a travel guide. We were hoping for a romantic night away in Wilmington. When we arrived at the hotel, we were very disappointed. The room was really old and the furnishings were disgusting. I wouldn't dare sit on that couch. The bed looked really uncomfortable. When I saw a dead roach under the bed, we decided to leave and find another hotel. They charged us $50 for "early departure." We ended up booking into the Best Western Coastline Inn. It was a thousand times nicer for the same price! It was well worth the $50 it cost us to change hotels. The Wilmingtonian is in a great location but it is in desperate need of an update. It is way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cassmm
We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our hotel. We are currently in the process of updating with new furniture, beds, floors/carpets, etc. The $50 fee was mistakenly charged and was immediately refunded in full the following morning.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I booked this hotel because I was getting married right around the corner. This meant that I could get ready hear. Most of my wedding party was staying hear. I called to check on the rooms and they could not find half of the rooms that I had blocked.
I was the first to arrive, me being the bride, We I called to set up the block of rooms, I asked that my room have no steps to this room. They did not listen.
There were steps which would not work because my friend is in a wheelchair and she was getting ready in my room. They fixed it they had to move people around. Then I get up the next day for my wedding and the toilet had over flowed, called the front desk and they told me that there was no one there to fix it. They brought me some towels, but there was standing water it had flowed all the way into the hall if the room. Finally at about 10 am someone showed up to clean up the mess. Then my dad goes to cancel a room and come to find out there where more rooms in my now husbands name that they could not find.... just a big pain to stay there and be a bride and have all this to deal with...do not stay in room 32, bed is very herd would og been better sleeping on floor or sofa.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
We take pride in hosting wedding guests here at our hotel and we are saddened to hear that we didn't meet your expectations. The next time that you're here, in Wilmington, we hope that you'll give us a chance to show you our best. We hope to hear from you soon.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2010

You can't beat the location--just blocks from the river walk, major downtown restaurants and some great house tours. A good value for an all-suites set up, nice grounds, free parking, fruit and muffins offered for breakfast when I was there, with free water, soda and juice all day. Furnishings are basic and show a bit of wear so don't expect rooms turned out by an interior designer. My suite even had a washer/dryer. Helpful office staff. Visit there gives you access to a private dining club, but it has spotty hours and I didn't get to try it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind words. We are updating hotel hotel and hope you'll stop by and see our new look soon.
Denver
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed at The Wilmingtonian on a recent vacation. It was listed in Fodors as one of the 3 places to stay in the area. It wasn't as nice as we expected, but there were some pluses of the hotel.
The location is great. We walked to everything including the riverfront and restaurants. Our room was large.
The staff was friendly. They provide free snacks and drinks throughout the day in addition to complimentary light breakfast items such as yogurt and granola bars. I had to send a fax while we were there. They offered to send it a no charge. That was very different from most hotels.
The downside is that our room was dated and worn. It was also a bit dusty in the corners of our room. The hotel needs updating and a thorough scrubbing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are currently updating with new furniture, beds, carpets, tv's and the like. We appreciate the critique and we hope that you'll visit again soon!
Jacksonville, NC
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Well, my title pretty much says it all. Basically, the first time we tried to stay here was on our wedding nite, we had booked their nicest suite well in advance, and then the night of our wedding we show up and when my husband goes to check in, hes told that his card is being declined for the amt of the room, but they offer to downgrade us to a different room. So, we took it ( still overly priced of course ). Well, the next day we check our account and there was PLEANTY of money for the room, so now we are certain that they probably double booked and gave the room out to someone else, and tried to make it look like it was our card that was the issue. Needless to say, we decided to give it another shot... so last year my husband booked that same suite we were supposed to get on the night we got married, we showed up ( once again it took FOREVER at the front desk, which ended up making us LATE to our Ball ... so late in fact that we missed the entire ceremony ) Im sorry but it should never take 30-45 min just to check in at the front desk! Anyway, we got to our room and it wasnt near as big as its made out to seem in the pics on the website, the fireplace in our room wasnt even working, and the bed was the most UNCOMFORTABLE bed I had ever slept on, I woke up the next morning with a TERRIBLE back ache. We never saw any breakfast at all, and after all was said and done, I can guarentee you we wont ever be staying there, EVER again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I recently stayed at The Wilmingtonian for a long weekend, this was my 3rd stay here. I keep coming back because its a fantastic place to stay! I have stayed in the Clarendon House, Maritime House, and most recently the Cinema House. Each building offers different things for different travelers. They offer a variety of foods for their breakfast such as muffins, fruit, yogurt, juices, water, soda, and coffee. One of my favorite things about the hotel is the location. This hotel is within walking distance of everything downtown, you can stroll along the river, take a hollywood tour, enjoy the night life, or get great food and you will never have to drive anywhere. We parked in the courtesy parking upon arrival and didn't get in the car again until we left! I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE! Can't wait to go back in April!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends