“Disappointing”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Bath, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Great location in the heart of lovely Wilmington and free parking but long past its best. Could have been really good - rooms are a good size and air con is excellent but pretty shabby on the whole. Not a bad price but definitely not an Inn.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Finn67
erich1102, Front Office Manager at The Wilmingtonian, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
We are sorry that your visit with us didn't meet your expectations. We are in the process of updating our hotel and we hope that on your next visit to Wilmington you will give us another chance to show you our best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 October 2010

This was our fifth visit in four years. Our first couple of visits back in 2006 were lovely but things have really gone down hill. We booked a pricey room at the de Rossett house and were not pleased. Three phone calls to the reception complaining that our TV remote/DVD player did not work and they never did send someone to fix it. The final day of our visit involved the hall outside of our bedroom being painted. The paint fumes were horrible and they were not to please that we complained. They moved us to one of the bungalows accross that street and the accommodations were filthy. Mold in the shower, clumps of dust on the ceiling fan and the tile floor was sticky... i didn't want to take my shoes off. I don't know what happened to this place. The location is great but forget it. There are too many other options in Wilmington. This was the place to stay a few years ago but I will not go back... ever.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
It saddens me to hear of your bad experience at our hotel. I assure you that we find the problems you pointed out to be unacceptable and that they will be remedied. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you that we can do better.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a wedding recently and very much enjoyed our stay. It was nice to stay somewhere other than a big box retailer. The rooms were quaint, each with their own unique theme. You certainly can't beat the location as it is right in the middle of historic downtown and an easy walk to great restaurants and nightlife. The price is reasonable, especially when you consider that they don't charge for parking or internet (like most of the big box). Overall, a pleasant visit and I would certainly recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this kind review. We hope to see you again soon!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband and I booked a room in this hotel based on the recommendation of a travel guide. We were hoping for a romantic night away in Wilmington. When we arrived at the hotel, we were very disappointed. The room was really old and the furnishings were disgusting. I wouldn't dare sit on that couch. The bed looked really uncomfortable. When I saw a dead roach under the bed, we decided to leave and find another hotel. They charged us $50 for "early departure." We ended up booking into the Best Western Coastline Inn. It was a thousand times nicer for the same price! It was well worth the $50 it cost us to change hotels. The Wilmingtonian is in a great location but it is in desperate need of an update. It is way overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cassmm
We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our hotel. We are currently in the process of updating with new furniture, beds, floors/carpets, etc. The $50 fee was mistakenly charged and was immediately refunded in full the following morning.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I booked this hotel because I was getting married right around the corner. This meant that I could get ready hear. Most of my wedding party was staying hear. I called to check on the rooms and they could not find half of the rooms that I had blocked.
I was the first to arrive, me being the bride, We I called to set up the block of rooms, I asked that my room have no steps to this room. They did not listen.
There were steps which would not work because my friend is in a wheelchair and she was getting ready in my room. They fixed it they had to move people around. Then I get up the next day for my wedding and the toilet had over flowed, called the front desk and they told me that there was no one there to fix it. They brought me some towels, but there was standing water it had flowed all the way into the hall if the room. Finally at about 10 am someone showed up to clean up the mess. Then my dad goes to cancel a room and come to find out there where more rooms in my now husbands name that they could not find.... just a big pain to stay there and be a bride and have all this to deal with...do not stay in room 32, bed is very herd would og been better sleeping on floor or sofa.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
We take pride in hosting wedding guests here at our hotel and we are saddened to hear that we didn't meet your expectations. The next time that you're here, in Wilmington, we hope that you'll give us a chance to show you our best. We hope to hear from you soon.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 June 2010

You can't beat the location--just blocks from the river walk, major downtown restaurants and some great house tours. A good value for an all-suites set up, nice grounds, free parking, fruit and muffins offered for breakfast when I was there, with free water, soda and juice all day. Furnishings are basic and show a bit of wear so don't expect rooms turned out by an interior designer. My suite even had a washer/dryer. Helpful office staff. Visit there gives you access to a private dining club, but it has spotty hours and I didn't get to try it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind words. We are updating hotel hotel and hope you'll stop by and see our new look soon.
Denver
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed at The Wilmingtonian on a recent vacation. It was listed in Fodors as one of the 3 places to stay in the area. It wasn't as nice as we expected, but there were some pluses of the hotel.
The location is great. We walked to everything including the riverfront and restaurants. Our room was large.
The staff was friendly. They provide free snacks and drinks throughout the day in addition to complimentary light breakfast items such as yogurt and granola bars. I had to send a fax while we were there. They offered to send it a no charge. That was very different from most hotels.
The downside is that our room was dated and worn. It was also a bit dusty in the corners of our room. The hotel needs updating and a thorough scrubbing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are currently updating with new furniture, beds, carpets, tv's and the like. We appreciate the critique and we hope that you'll visit again soon!