“home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington

Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wilmington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Wonderful service. Front Desk Staff was excellent. Cleaning Staff was excellent. The lady who took care of serving breakfast was most gracious and accommodating in every way possible. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning a trip to Wilmington.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

WilmingtonPattiB, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
From all of us here at the Wingate, THANK YOU for the fantastic review! We strive to provide the best customer service and are absolutely thrilled to receive your wonderful review and high recommendations. Thank you again and we look forward to being of service to you on your next visit.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Clean, modern, and well equipped. For a brief stay for a day beach trip the price is right. My only complaint is that the AC was kind of weak (window unit not working well?) and they stopped serving breakfast at 9:30am which seemed a little bit early for a crowd that might be relaxed beach goers taking their time on a weekend. Other than that, it's a great place and convenient to many parts of Wilmington!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Naomi D
WilmingtonPattiB, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. Managment has been discussing the best times to serve our complimentary full hot breakfast to accommodate all of our guests. As we continue to review our options, we will certainly keep your suggestion in mind. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed this property last year and gave it very high marks in my TripAdvisor review, excluding a minor issue regarding breakfast. This year, I was subjected to a number of customer service errors. I didn’t even get the room type I paid for … and no refund for it either.

Online the day prior I reserved a King Executive Suite room. The website clearly describes an Executive Suite room as “Adjoining Rooms” with a “Connecting Room” … and as an “upgrade” that offers “additional space.” Under “notes” I specified “high and away” (meaning high floor and away from sources of disturbance). My rate was essentially prepaid, in that my card would be charged at 4pm on day of reservation if not cancelled.

I checked in at 10pm. The folio I was asked to initial/sign printed out as Room 401. That room was certainly high and away, being on the top floor at the end of the hall. However my front desk clerk had scratched through that room number on the folio and hand-written Room 325 instead. No explanation was offered. On my way to Room 325 I had to fight my way through a pack of teenagers, as that whole section of the property had been taken over by some kind of high school field trip. Not what I would call “away” from noise. When I entered the room, I found it was not the suite described, but just a standard King room.

Clearly someone else, before I arrived, had been sold the Executive Suite room for which I had prepaid … and I when I turned up I was simply stuck somewhere else. There was no point in going back to debate the situation with the front desk clerk, as obviously this room was all that was left to give.

I spoke to the General Manager about the situation in the morning and I found her answers rather wanting. The only difference in the two types of rooms, she said, was that the couch in an Executive Suite folded out to make a bed. That was an outright lie. Pictures of this specific hotel at Orbitz include a picture of the suite, confirming the separate bedroom, as described at the property website. She also said that when assigning rooms that even if a room was prepaid, it might be assigned to someone else anyway, that guests checking-in might be given the room if it was the only one that was clean and available. That sure doesn’t explain why ALL the Suites were given to other people – when I had already prepaid for mine. At some point in the game, my paid-for Suite was supposed to be kept for me. Eventually I was offered a 30% discount on my next stay. I said no. (It is not uncommon for me to turn down coupons & discounts that cover up errors that should have been corrected AND ALSO obligate me to spend more money in the future.)

Instead I said that if I did stay again, I would call her personally before I arrived to make sure I actually received the room I paid for, high and away. What the manager didn’t do - and durn well should have - was offer any refund for the excess amount I paid for the Suite I didn’t get.

This manager seems to be all about the Benjamins. Max out the property with a kiddie convention, so that all the other guests are slipping on the elevator floor that is a puddle of water from tons of dripping wet teenagers running back and forth to the pool. Throw me a discount to get me to spend more money – but not refund a dime even though they didn’t give me what I paid for.

In addition to that whole fiasco, I was curtly refused a late checkout (past 11am) as “they had many rooms to clean and some people were already checking in.” Well, no property OWES me a late checkout, but again the explanation was rather wanting. If you have so many rooms to clean, doesn’t that mean you might not get to all of them before 11am? Were so many people already checking in at 9:30am (when I inquired) that there was no other option but to make sure MY room was evacuated by 11:00am? Well apparently so, because at 11:10am when my bags were packed and the only thing I was doing was knotting my tie so I could leave, the housekeeping manager knocked on my door to ask me if I was leaving.

The only complaint I had last year was about the comp breakfast. At 9:55am, when I arrived, it was all put away. Not a cracker, nothing. 10:00am is pretty standard for closing up comp breakfasts. Some are out until 10:30am. And they all usually leave some coffee, juices, fruits, etc. out and about for stragglers. Well, this property easily solved the 10am problem since last year. They simply changed the time that their breakfast ends to 9:30am. That way they could just go ahead and shut it down at the time that was convenient for them, regardless of what customer might need and/or expect. They’ve used a label maker to cover up where the permanently embossed sign on the wall that says “10:00am” with a black&white paper label that says “9:30am.” The result of this was that when I made sure I came downstairs for breakfast THIS TIME at 9:45am, I STILL had a problem getting breakfast. There were some items that had not been taken up. But the paper plates had been put away. So I asked for one. From the look I got, you’d think I had asked to rob their safe.

My guess is this place doesn’t have the same GM as last year. And it sure as heck shows. The primary agenda now seems to be (1) arranging things so the staff can proceed as they please and plan, without regard to guests and (2) maximizing revenue to the detriment of all other factors.

There’s plenty of hotels within a three-block radius of this property. I’ll NEVER EVER EVER NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another property.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GM10506, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Mr. Quality,
We appreciate you coming back to our property this year. Unfortunately I believe there may be some miss- communication. Your reservation was not booked through Orbitz and it was not a prepaid reservation. We do not have any rooms that have two separate rooms in our property. Our connecting rooms are in fact two separate rooms with one room being a handicap room that adjoins to a separate room that is either two doubles or a king. This would be a rental of two separate rooms.
When reviewing your reservation I found that you booked an executive king suite. As pictured on our website your room was equipped with A King bed, sofa sleeper, micro-fridge, microwave, 40’ flat screen HDTV with free HBO. We also were able to accommodate your “up and away” request. We have four floors and you were on the Third floor and 10 rooms away from the elevator and ice machine. The ice machine is located in front of room 315 and your room was 325. The great thing about our Executive King and King Suite is they are both the same price. We do not charge an upgrade fee for the sofa sleeper at this time. But it is a great idea for the future.
Yes, we had a large group of students on a field trip visiting the Ft. Fisher Aquarium and the Battleship. They had just returned from a pizza cruise on the Henrietta around 10PM when you checked in. Fortunately we have a quiet policy in place for our groups. “Quiet Time” between 11PM and 7AM. This policy works well and is enforced by dedicated security guards when any school groups are in our property.
A short time ago we surveyed our competitors in the area to make sure that we were still providing upscale service for breakfast amenities as well as the time we serve breakfast . We learned that the average time for breakfast at our competitors was 6:30 to 9:30am. No one served for more than three hours. We had been offering breakfast for four hours from 6:00 to 10:00am. So we decided to eliminate 30 minutes and still provide more time than our competitors. We have many corporate travelers that are waiting for breakfast at 5:45am and very few guests after 9:30 so we chose to eliminate the 30 minutes at the end of our breakfast service. This afforded us the opportunity to upgrade our bath products to Mineral Fusion “Waterstone products”. They call it minerals on a mission. I call it fabulous!
Even during the sluggish economy we have upgraded our property and kept our Guest Appreciation Reception Monday through Thursday evenings with complimentary beer, wine, sodas and snacks from 5:00PM to 7:00PM. We try to provide outstanding customer service and amenities no matter the costs.
I have been at this property for the best of 11 years and take pride in our property, staff and all that we provide our guests. After spending 10 minutes with you before you left the property I really thought everything was good. I am so sorry you did not find us at all accommodating. Mr. Quality, my offer still stands. We would love a second chance and the opportunity to serve you again. When you come back next year to judge that annual bikini contest please call and I will be happy to honor that 30% discount as promised.