“Fantastic Stay”

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Newburg
“Fantastic Stay”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Wingate in Wilmington, NC with my family and it was fantastic! The smoke-free facility was clean, comfortable and the staff was exceptional. Great complimentary breakfast and beautiful rooms!! I will stay there again and highly recommend this amazing hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

1 Thank Andrea S
WilmingtonPattiB, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Wow, thank you for the amazing review of our property, amenities and our wonderful staff. We couldn't ask for a better recommendation. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your exceptional feedback and look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Wilmington!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My second stay at this property in two weeks. When I walked in for my second stay, they greeted me with, "Welcome Back". Not only did they remember me but all the staff were efficient, courteous, and professional. Nice breakfast. Eggs werent that great but bacon and sausage good. M-R there is guest appreciation with popcorn and snack mix and some beer and wine. There is a drink limit. Not a fantastic guest appreciation but it was nice gesture after a long day of work. If you are a rewards member they give you a little treat at check in. Once again, not earth shattering but nice enough to feel appreciated as a guest. Since my first stay was so good, I ended up booking a second week. Nice ladies who work at the desk.

This is not a big deal, but it was a bother. On our first stay, I asked the maid for an extra plastic bag for garbage. A lady interrupted me and asked what I needed. Well since she did not have an ID on, I was like "who is this lady?". Is she going to translate what im asking the maid? She was not dressed in a uniform and had NO name tag. She never introduced herself either. So I never knew who she was. If she was the head of housekeeping, she should have said so. She should have worn a name tag or a tag that said her hotel title. It was irritating because all I wanted was an extra bag for garbage and she's interrupting everything and then I had to repeat myself. I actually did not know she was an employee until she started touching the maid's cart and taking stuff from it. Who ever that lady is she should be wearing a name tag EVERYONE else did. Why is she any different? I thought she was another guest sticking her nose in my business. When she did not address who she was it ticked me off. Tell me who you are or make it clear as to who you are by ID.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
WilmingtonPattiB, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We are thrilled you felt so welcomed and special upon your return to our property. Our front desk is top notch and we are proud of the customer service they provide to our guests. We appreciate your feedback on your recent stays, it is the tool we use to continually improve our services. Our general manager will address the staff on the importance of introducing themselves to our guests and wearing a nametag at all times. Thank you for the wonderful review and choosing the Wingate Wilmington as your preferred hotel.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our room was nice and slightly above average on the cleanliness scale. They were great to work with us when we needed another night beyond what we had reserved, even on a busy weekend night. The breakfast was great and seemed well organized. Someone must have called in sick one morning as we observed the guest relations manager wiping down tables at breakfast. Great teamwork! The only thing we disliked with this hotel was the wifi. It sucked. We had problems with both the wifi and the TV signal our whole stay. It wasn't really anything you could call and complain about because one minute you would be kicked off and five minutes later you could get back on. I hope you guys can get that straightened out!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
From all of us at the Wingate, thank you for your fabulous review on our property and our staff. We appreciate your feedback on the Wi-Fi and TV signal. Unfortunately, we were having problems with the vendor which is responsible for both Wi-Fi and cable. We had quite a few storms last month and consequently they were shutting down areas for repair. Please know the issue you had is not an outgoing problem and from our understanding the vendors issues have been remedied. Thank you again and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Wilmington.
Huntersville
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My hubby and our boys stayed In a king suite with A pull out sofa for a weeks vacay at the beach. On arrival we were very pleased with the hotel staff, the appearance of the lobby, and surrounding area. Great that there was a Wal-Mart very near and several other stores in the area.
The room was nice and clean, but I was disappointed by a couple of minor things. First, the "managers reception" was definitely disappointing. It was simply like a snack on an airplane. The hostess who served it was nice. You had a choice of wine, coke, or ginger ale ( 2 cup limit) and either a pretzel mix or microwave popcorn in a cup and cookies. Now not to be totally ungrateful because yes, that's better than nothing, but just so others are aware it's not a finger foods type of reception that will hold you over until dinner :).
Second disappointment was when I asked a member of the housekeeping staff for a few extra towels she told me in an irritated tone that she didn't have enough on her cart to give me what I needed and I'd have to go to the front desk to get the towels I needed.
My third disappointment was with the breakfast. There were hot and cold items to choose from ( the eggs were more like yellow misshaped pancakes. Didn't enjoy those.) and a variety of pastries and a few types of yogurts. My disappointment was in the fact that each morning that we were there breakfast was scheduled to end at 9:30 AM, but the breakfast staff would begin breaking down the area and taking things away at 9:20. There were a few stragglers that I noticed chasing down a banana or a cup of waffle batter when there were still 10 mins to spare. From a customer service point of view and my humble opinion when 9:30 hits begin taking things away then and not earlier.
All in all nice hotel and location, but lacking genuine customer care in some areas.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JustUs1999
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such thorough feedback of your stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our clean rooms and convenient location.
We can only rate ourselves through the eyes of our guests and we are disappointed our customer service did not shine as is typically does at our property. We pride ourselves on our customer service and set a high standard for our employees. As you stated, these may be minor issues, but can make a lasting impression. Our goal is to provide 100% guest satisfaction and have outstanding customer service. Again, we appreciate your feedback so we can make the necessary improvements. We hope we will have the opportunity to be of service you and your family on your next visit to Wilmington!