Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington
US$203
Hilton.com
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$118
US$109
US$134
Homewood
Great 4.5/5
Best Western Plus Coastline Inn(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$157
  • Pool
US$89
Great 4.5/5
Staybridge Suites Wilmington East(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$122
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsquick tripwould stay againfree breakfastfrigdowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Yes, the rooms are old and outdated. I didn't feel overly safe in this motel style drive up to your door accommodation as a single female. I didn't find things overly dirty. the sheets and pillowcases were clean and changed every day. i was given bulldog clips to keep the curtains closed as i had requested they be kept closed to keep out the heat. The airconditioner was noisy so couldn't leave it on during the night. The fridge was also noisy. and being at street level, it meant there was traffic noise. Supermarket quite a walk away. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel to take you into downtown. i used the breakfast room to grab some toast in the morning. the bread was fresh both days. The staff were helpful with organising taxis and a request for bolt cutters after my luggage lock wouldn't open. They held my bags for me after checkout in the locked breakfast room. Rooms have Free wifi.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank bluechilli8
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Where do I start? We verified we were getting a non-smoking room and walked into a room that smelled like cigarette smoke with a recent attempt to disguise it with air freshener. The bathroom felt and looked like a 1980s model mobile home bathroom. Picture awful peeling wallpaper, a worn out tub/shower, veneer fake "wooden" door and cabinetry. There had been some sort of attempt to update. The granite counter on top of the old cabinet was amusing. There was actually a fairly new looking tile floor in the bathroom as well. The kitchenette area and fold down table was very outdated and gave me the feeling I was in a trailer park...again, think 1980s. The mattresses were not comfortable and were double beds. Do they even still manufacture double-sized mattresses anymore? The carpet was newer and way out of place considering the furnishings and style of the rest of the room. We skipped the "continental breakfast" as we were already scared of what that would be like after staying in the room. I didn't want bagels older than I was. Next time, I will suck it up, pay more, and only stay at a hotel that has great reviews. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Trust the review. Pay more for a room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tiffanynbryant
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We didn't have a reservation for our trip to Wilmington, so we didn't have high expectations: we just needed a place to sleep for the night. The price we paid for a room was good, but once we got in the room it was so dirty we couldn't stay. The carpets, while there was no obvious dirt, were in dire need of cleaning. Just walking from the bed to the bathroom, with clean, white, dry socks on, TURNED THE BOTTOMS OF OUR SOCKS BLACK!! What??? So we went to the lobby, told them we were not satisfied with the cleanliness of the room and requested a different room. They gave us another room with no problems, but when my husband asked to see it first, he was led to a room with: sand in the bathtub. Not just a little bit either: it was clear to him that the tub had not been cleaned. At that point, we left. We stayed down the road at the Red Roof Inn: just a little pricier but SO worth it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam95835
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I was booked for 3 nights at another hotel on Market Street (Travelodge) but it was so filthy I had to leave. There were many other places to choose from in the area and the economy ones (EconoLodge, Motel 6) were all posting a rate of 39.99. I chose Howard Johnson because it looked better kept than the other offerings.
My room was good for the price. The bathroom was newer, the bed was comfortable, and I was very happy to see that they had windows that actually opened (I like fresh air). There was a coffee pot in the room, which is also nice for a lower-end hotel. There were no noise issues, and the housekeeping staff heeded my "Do Not Disturb" sign, even with a late check-out of noon.
I wanted to stay three days, but the rate jumped dramatically on Friday and Saturday -- to $79.99/nt. I would not pay that much to stay at a lower-end hotel, no matter what day it was, but at 39.99 I felt like it was a reasonable stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Traveled to Wilmington for the weekend with elderly, handicapped mom. We like motels with outward facing doors; easier access for disabled. Needed an accessible room, as she does not walk easily. Called ahead, was told bathroom had shower. We found that indeed, there was a shower head, but it was in the tub! Had a second room booked for additional family members with two beds; mattesses were well worn and boxsprings torn. ICK!!! Rooms were not as clean as they should be, but the sheets were clean. It was barely tolerable for one night. We did move down the street to a newer hotel. This is a typical college area hotel. Well worn and used by many student travelers. The positive side was the management was friendly and apologetic. Personally, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family