“Great value! Would stay again.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington
Ranked #41 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Bronx, New York
“Great value! Would stay again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in early August for less than $65 a night! It is just off a main street near strip malls but at no point did we feel unsafe. The rooms were spacious and clean. I have to admit after I read the reviews here I was really skeptical but couldn't beat the price! I didn't see any bugs anywhere. The staff were friendly. It is also not too far from downtown. I would definitely stay here because it was a great value!

• Stayed August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Midland, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

It's in a bad area near the ghetto. Drove around a little and went a few street behind it and I couldn't drive out of there fast enough. One of those areas where you wonder if you'll be shot at driving through or robbed. It is a older hotel. Lots of wear and tear. Checked for any sort of bugs when I got there (flashlight and all) and didn't see anything. The bathtub was terribly stained with blackdirty stuff on the bottom and had hair on it where it obviously hadn't been properly cleaned. The beds looked descent enough. While getting ready for bed, I saw a roach on the floor dead that hadn't been there earlier and it looked like it had crawled out of a crack next to it and died. That's when I thought to myself "the reviews about having bugs are true and I should have listened to my gut and not stayed." The night was terrible due to being so close to the highway/Market Street. Lots of loud music from the cars all night and the morning was no better with us being right next to the breakfast area. Breakfast wasn't too bad though for the price of the rooms. My children enjoyed a danish and muffins with orange juice. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Next time I will be staying far away from this part of town though and it will not be at any Howard Johnson Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This hotel was so cheap and I read some bad reviews so I was pleasantly surprised when I found it clean enough, neat, everything functioned, bed was comfortable, staff pleasant, nothing distasteful. Felt like a few cuts above the typical 2 star facility. Don't expect much from breakfast but there was cereal and toast.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank margaret f
Harrisonburg, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

While their advertised rate was $70/night, you can easily get this on the internet for at least 15-20% off of that. With that discount, it's almost an acceptable deal. I stayed by myself for a couple of days.

I checked the bed for bugs and was impressed with how clean they actually were --given the condition of the rest of the room. The reviews here (dating back to 2005) about the need for serious renovations/major cleaning/updates are not exaggerations. This room is the dirtiest and dingiest room I have ever encountered. Some old wallpaper and an old bathroom don't bother me, but a dirty bathtub and serious carpet stains combined with filthy cabinets made me start to regret my booking. The AC was not on when I arrived at 4pm on a 97 degree day, and it took two hours to get the room to a reasonable temperature. That irritated me.

I did not sample the breakfast, but I gathered that I didn't miss much. The location is actually pretty good. There's a bunch of fast food (Bojangles, chinese takeout, Sonic, Burger King, etc) joints, a gas station with a well-stocked mini-mart, and a nice movie theater all within walking distance. With a car, you're close to everything in Wilmington proper. Not much beats Market Street. The location does look like it's pretty rough if you are new to the are. It really isn't... you should feel safe walking around after dark. Also, I found the staff to be plenty friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
benson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Bedbugs, bedbugs, bedbugs! Don't waste your time and money on this crappy hotel. You would think with it being a chain, it would be clean and decent but instead you get the total opposite. Nasty, unbearable, and just plain gross.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank hct510
Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

On a number of occasions I have stayed at this budget friendly motel. I also put up some construction workers here. All of us felt this was a very decent place to stay. Along Market Street there are many budget friendly motels. Decided to stay here because of the price. Really, for as much as I travel, I really liked this place. The location is quite handy to several areas of Wilmington. I imagine a lot of people come to town for the beach, and the beach is only a 10 minute drive from here, PLUS, this motel is 1/3 the price. Yes, the motel is older, but a lot of these types of motels are. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MontanaMan59
Milford, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I was very pleased with this motel. My room was clean and comfortable. The staff was extremely helpful, efficient and pleasant. The continental breakfast was limited, but fresh and good quality. I don't think you can ask for more for the price. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo