“Ho Jo weekend sept getaway”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington
Ranked #42 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We had a free night.went to Wilmington,for end of summer night. Front desk very nice,room clean, basic hotel. Hey! We are at beach! Very close to wrights Ville beach or downtown.had a frig and microwave. I would recommend this for short visit .one negative would be a outside entrance . I was with husband so it was fine. As a single ,person I wouldn't like

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We always stay at this hotel when visiting family in Wilmington. Using Wyndham resort points, we find this one the best value for points, plus the rooms are very large, which is a definate plus. Not fancy, but beds are comfortable, and they have the added bonus of smoking rooms, something that we have begun banning hotels over not offering. We highly recommend them if you need an overnight to lay your head, and are not looking for a vacation resort.

Room Tip: Coffee on buffet bar not so hot. there is a breakfast restaurant short ways away on the right when...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in early August for less than $65 a night! It is just off a main street near strip malls but at no point did we feel unsafe. The rooms were spacious and clean. I have to admit after I read the reviews here I was really skeptical but couldn't beat the price! I didn't see any bugs anywhere. The staff were friendly. It is also not too far from downtown. I would definitely stay here because it was a great value!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It's in a bad area near the ghetto. Drove around a little and went a few street behind it and I couldn't drive out of there fast enough. One of those areas where you wonder if you'll be shot at driving through or robbed. It is a older hotel. Lots of wear and tear. Checked for any sort of bugs when I got there (flashlight and all) and didn't see anything. The bathtub was terribly stained with blackdirty stuff on the bottom and had hair on it where it obviously hadn't been properly cleaned. The beds looked descent enough. While getting ready for bed, I saw a roach on the floor dead that hadn't been there earlier and it looked like it had crawled out of a crack next to it and died. That's when I thought to myself "the reviews about having bugs are true and I should have listened to my gut and not stayed." The night was terrible due to being so close to the highway/Market Street. Lots of loud music from the cars all night and the morning was no better with us being right next to the breakfast area. Breakfast wasn't too bad though for the price of the rooms. My children enjoyed a danish and muffins with orange juice. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Next time I will be staying far away from this part of town though and it will not be at any Howard Johnson Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This hotel was so cheap and I read some bad reviews so I was pleasantly surprised when I found it clean enough, neat, everything functioned, bed was comfortable, staff pleasant, nothing distasteful. Felt like a few cuts above the typical 2 star facility. Don't expect much from breakfast but there was cereal and toast.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank margaret f
Reviewed 30 July 2012

While their advertised rate was $70/night, you can easily get this on the internet for at least 15-20% off of that. With that discount, it's almost an acceptable deal. I stayed by myself for a couple of days.

I checked the bed for bugs and was impressed with how clean they actually were --given the condition of the rest of the room. The reviews here (dating back to 2005) about the need for serious renovations/major cleaning/updates are not exaggerations. This room is the dirtiest and dingiest room I have ever encountered. Some old wallpaper and an old bathroom don't bother me, but a dirty bathtub and serious carpet stains combined with filthy cabinets made me start to regret my booking. The AC was not on when I arrived at 4pm on a 97 degree day, and it took two hours to get the room to a reasonable temperature. That irritated me.

I did not sample the breakfast, but I gathered that I didn't miss much. The location is actually pretty good. There's a bunch of fast food (Bojangles, chinese takeout, Sonic, Burger King, etc) joints, a gas station with a well-stocked mini-mart, and a nice movie theater all within walking distance. With a car, you're close to everything in Wilmington proper. Not much beats Market Street. The location does look like it's pretty rough if you are new to the are. It really isn't... you should feel safe walking around after dark. Also, I found the staff to be plenty friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Bedbugs, bedbugs, bedbugs! Don't waste your time and money on this crappy hotel. You would think with it being a chain, it would be clean and decent but instead you get the total opposite. Nasty, unbearable, and just plain gross.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business