Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington
The Carolinian Inn(Wilmington)
Comfort Suites(Wilmington)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsquick tripwould stay againfree breakfastfrigdowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I usually stay at cheap hotels when I travel alone so I expected these conditions. I would not subject anyone else to this hotel. This was one of the cheapest that I could find in the area even though they jacked up the prices for the UNCW graduation weekend. There was one cheaper but this hotel said they had a continental breakfast. They did not have one unless it was very early. I didn't care by that point. I just wanted to check out. The carpet was filthy and should have been replaced 10 years ago. I was afraid to take my shoes off.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The check in is was good. The staff was kind and helpful. However, when I attempted to make the initial reservation, no one ever picked up the phone. When I checked in, I found out why. As I was checking in, the phone began to ring and the clerk never acknowledged it. She let the phone ring and ring. Good ethics would have said to pick the phone up and acknowledge the caller politely and put them on hold.
The room was good. We had two beds, mini-fridge and microwave. The pipes in the shower felt like they were going to be pulled out of the wall when turning on the faucet or adjusting the shower head because they were so loose.
We could never get connected to the 'free WiFi' due to you had to have a code of some sort. This defeats the purpose of advertising 'free WiFi' and no code was ever offered to us.
The breakfast was non-existent with really no room to eat. It was in the lobby of the hotel which was small to begin with. Most other hotels have a separate place to eat which is large enough to seat 10-15 people minimum.
Other than those issues, it was a pleasant stay. I provided us a place to sleep and a hot shower. I have stayed at other hotels within the same price range which had a better breakfast variety and WiFi connections. It is due to those things that I can not give it a higher rating than two.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alfred E
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was actually our second and third visit to this Howard Johnson. We have always been pleased with our stays there. The management is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are nice, quiet and clean when we arrive. Have had no problems whatsoever. We would and will recommend this hotel to all our friends and relatives. Oh, and we like the close proximity to everything!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family