“Not what i expected.”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington
Ranked #42 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Room was a bit clean, though we did find a cockroach in the fridge, but I'm willing to forgive that since we never found it. Clean beds and bathroom, though everything is outdated. Wifi actually worked but was a bit slow, and breakfast was just pastries an was rather bare, though the b.f. Room was nice, i supposed i just arrived when the food was gone. Overall just a place to spend the night, nothing special about it, and fairly prices. I'd say a 7.3/10

• Stayed: August 2014
HotelGM329, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2015

Thank you for your review, your feedback and your comments regarding your stay. I want to assure you that we respond promptly to pest alerts with expert extermination services and also treat to deter pests on a regular scheduled basis. I am sorry to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy the breakfast options, and I want to let you know that we take your suggestions to heart and are reconsidering the available choices. We hope to see you again soon, to give you another wonderful nights' sleep, and to impress you with the improvements to our amenities.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel has seen better days. We were in a dated end unit and it was kind of scary down there. The room looked clean but there was mold on the bathroom ceiling. Since we arrived after midnight and there wasn't anything else available, we sucked it up and stayed. The free Rise & Dine continental breakfast was a joke.

Room Tip: If you dare to stay, get a room towards the fron of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yvette B

Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience and comments regarding your stay. I Thank you for pointing out the issues with housekeeping so that we can work to improve upon this aspect of the guest experience at our hotel. I hope you will accept our sincerest apologies for the difficulties that you experienced and we thank youfor bringing these matters to our attention.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Well we stayed in a non smoking room and honestly it smelt like someone just had a cigarette in the room when we first walked in. Room are extremely dirty and old. We woke up in the morning and found out that we woke up to a crime scene in the room next to us....honestly I will never go back to this place ever again. Definitely not a safe hotel or cleanly.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Missnikki5150

I sincerely apologize for the very unfortunate incident you experienced at our hotel. . I am so sorry to hear that you did not feel safe during your most recent stay with us, and I want to assure you that we take the security of our guests very seriously. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the housekeeping issues that you encountered during your stay in our hotel. Your comments help us to see where we need to improve and we appreciate that you have taken the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I usually stay at cheap hotels when I travel alone so I expected these conditions. I would not subject anyone else to this hotel. This was one of the cheapest that I could find in the area even though they jacked up the prices for the UNCW graduation weekend. There was one cheaper but this hotel said they had a continental breakfast. They did not have one unless it was very early. I didn't care by that point. I just wanted to check out. The carpet was filthy and should have been replaced 10 years ago. I was afraid to take my shoes off.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The check in is was good. The staff was kind and helpful. However, when I attempted to make the initial reservation, no one ever picked up the phone. When I checked in, I found out why. As I was checking in, the phone began to ring and the clerk never acknowledged it. She let the phone ring and ring. Good ethics would have said to pick the phone up and acknowledge the caller politely and put them on hold.
The room was good. We had two beds, mini-fridge and microwave. The pipes in the shower felt like they were going to be pulled out of the wall when turning on the faucet or adjusting the shower head because they were so loose.
We could never get connected to the 'free WiFi' due to you had to have a code of some sort. This defeats the purpose of advertising 'free WiFi' and no code was ever offered to us.
The breakfast was non-existent with really no room to eat. It was in the lobby of the hotel which was small to begin with. Most other hotels have a separate place to eat which is large enough to seat 10-15 people minimum.
Other than those issues, it was a pleasant stay. I provided us a place to sleep and a hot shower. I have stayed at other hotels within the same price range which had a better breakfast variety and WiFi connections. It is due to those things that I can not give it a higher rating than two.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alfred E
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was actually our second and third visit to this Howard Johnson. We have always been pleased with our stays there. The management is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are nice, quiet and clean when we arrive. Have had no problems whatsoever. We would and will recommend this hotel to all our friends and relatives. Oh, and we like the close proximity to everything!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family