“I think not”

Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Tampa Bay
“I think not”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

This Howard Johnson has taken a turn for the worst. The carpet was so dirty, not only were our feet black, the carpet actually felt sticky. The front office told us the carpet was cleaned a few weeks ago and it was only sand. I think not....! They were not pleased that we had even mentioned a problem. Although we stayed two days, we had to have our room cards rekeyed 3 times because they did not work. I do not recommend this motel at all.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Goldsboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

This little spot was very nice. Not only did they let us check in early but they did everything they could to make our stay more comfortable. We had two rooms, the rooms did not have a refrig or microwave. A few hours after checking in they brought us a refrig and microwave. We did not request it but they did it on their own. I was really impressed by that. They also gave us extra pillows and were very nice to myself and my family. I will stay there again next time I go to Wilmington.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank MDR2012000
bab0824
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2008

NEVER NEVER NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!
I booked my stay on the Howard Johnson website about two weeks before my stay. When I arrived, the hotel clerk said he could not find the reservation. I gave him the printout with the confirmation number and payment information, and he took it as he rolled his eyes. He said he still could not find it. I asked if he would call Howard Johnson to determine the problem, and he gave me extreme attitude and told me that I could call them myself because it wasn’t his problem. Howard Johnson found my reservation immediately, and called the hotel to ensure that he would honor my reservation. He gave them attitude, told them he was busy (I was the only one in the lobby), and hung up the phone!! The lady I talked to with Howard Johnson could not believe how rude he was, so she filed a complaint, I filed a formal complaint, and she then cancelled my reservation so I wouldn’t be billed. She tried to call back to get his name, and he wouldn't answer the phone. The two guys working the desk were the managers, and they were so rude that I wouldn’t stay there even if it was free. The extremely nice woman I spoke to on the phone (worked for Howard Johnson national) then found me another hotel close by, and booked it for me so I was still able to stay in Wilmington.
Also, this is not a family friendly or clean looking hotel. There was a rough crowd hanging around some of the rooms, and I think some of the rooms were being lived in by questionable individuals.
Spend a little extra money and stay somewhere polite, clean, nice, safe, and worth the trip to beautiful Wilmington.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The Hotel, The Front Desk Staff, Everything!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank bab0824

Travellers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Fayetteville, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

I stayed at the Howard Johnson for 2 nights on line I reserved a room with 2 beds and a kitchen. Once I got to the hotel the clerk gave me a key and I asked her if the room had a kitchen she was not sure so she told me to go look at the room and if it didnt have a kitchen she would give me one that did. I was kind of shocked because I thought at least the clerk should know which rooms had kitchens. I looked at the room and of course it did not have a kitchen so she gave me another room which I asked for non smoking. Keep in mind my ideal for a kitchen is a stove, refrigerator and sink. Well the room that she gave me that suspose to have a kitchen had a sink, microwave that was broke and a mini refrigerator. I was disappointed but I had 3 children with me so I stayed in the room. Again it was to be a non smoking room but the room smelt like a chain smoker was just in there. My non smoking room was next to a smoking room so I dont know if the smoke came through the cracks or not but I smelt it plain as day and I am a non smoker with real bad allergies. My complaints are I paid for a room with a kitchen didnt happen I asked for a non smoking room the sign said non smoking but I couldn't tell. I dont think that I would be visitng this hotel again.

Stayed March 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

Super-friendly desk clerk couldn't make up for the fact that this is an older motel, and my room had been smoked in before.

A former smoker, my nose is more sensitive than most. One can't take a former smoking room & turn it into a non-smoking room simply by using a lot of air freshener.

It was clean - if you didn't look too closely at the corners.

Bed was comfortable - towels were VERY soft and smelled great!

Overall, I'd probably not stay here again.

• Liked — Price & convenience
  • Disliked — Lingering odor from smoking
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wolfwoman1st
Durham, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2007

I note that the previous reviews were from 2005 and prior. Our experience was much better: the on-duty manager gave us a substantially better rate than we had booked online, the room was clean and well eqipped, the complimentary breakfast was entirely adequate, and the location was very convenient.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank NCWorldtraveler53
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2005

This place is an extreme rip off. We paid way too much for what we got. Our room was moldy and cabinets were falling off the hinges or the fake wood was cracked. The bathtub had mold in it and when i woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom a cockroach ran across the floor. The front of the building and lobby are presentable, but do not be fooled. The rooms are a mess. We had two rooms and both were disgusting. Stay far away from this dump.