“Ruined my vacation”

Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
North Carolina
“Ruined my vacation”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We arrived shortly after 3pm only to be told the rooms where not ready due to the rain we came back an hour later to be told they did not have any of the rooms that I had reserved at all. This is after I had called the week prior to confirm my reservation. We were reassigned to another room that was disgraceful. We went to plug in our chargers only to have them fall out of EVERY outlet in the room, there were cracks in the floor in the bathroom, one towel, and when we went to turn on the shower the faucet came out of the wall. We complained to the manager who was supposed to see if she give us a discount only to either be nowhere around or on the phone when we tried to follow up with her.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank vvgirl2014
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear VVgirl2014,

I appreciate you taking time to post a review... I do read each review and use them as a tool to try to improve our product and service. I am sincerely sorry for your disappointment with our property. Recently we changed our checkout time from 12pm to 11am and many of our guests are return guests and are not used to the earlier checkout time. We are in season have been sold out every weekend and the turnaround time was just too short so that's why we changed it to allow us to get into the rooms sooner to get them turned over for our incoming reservations. We are still in a transition stage with this for our guests so I do apologize for the inconvenience.

You also mentioned that you were trying to speak with the General Manager. When a guest has an issue, I do make myself available to speak with a guest regarding any situation and work to rectify it while the guest is still here. I've had a few guests confused as a couple of my staff members are mistaken for a "manager" because of their assertiveness. I do apologize for any misunderstandings. I was not notified of any situation and inconvenience of any guest.

Again, I am truly sorry for any inconvenience and assure you I will speak with my staff to see what happened.

Annette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Columbus
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The worst experience. The beds are a few inches smaller than a full. No refrigerator and microwave. No iron or iron board. The tub was dirty and had a few towels in it. Always heard constant talking and moving outside the door. Than the clerk change my room that was given to me by hotels.com. the excuse was they would have to charge more if they provide the hotel essentials.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lovley H
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Lovley H,

I am sorry to learn about your disappointment with your recent visit to our property. I can assure you this is not acceptable to hear about the cleanliness of your room. We would have gladly moved you to another room or we would have worked to rectify the situation for you. Were you able to reach someone at the desk to let us know? As for the lack of microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms, this used to be another brand hotel and they did not have those appliances available in any rooms, however, since I have come on board I have been able to have them available at a request from the guest, but we are now working to have them in ALL our rooms. The hairdryers are something I have not placed on the table yet, but we do have them available upon request at the front desk at no additional charge.

We have been working on renovating since the end of April 2014 and have accomplished quite a bit... these things include painting the rooms, changing the bedding presentation, added 30 more channels to the TV lineup, changed the chairs in the rooms out, as well as upgrading the pool and deck area, working on sprucing up the landscaping around the property and a few other upgrades. But we are not done and we have plans for re-tiling the bathrooms, changing the TV's to 32" Flat Screens, painting the outside of the buildings and resurfacing the parking lot along with several other ideas that we have in the works.

Again, I am very sorry for your disappointment. We plan to be completed by the end of October 2014 or November 2014. If you are ever in the Wilmington area again, maybe you would like to stop to see the additional changes we are working towards. Please feel free to speak with me directly.

Annette

Travellers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

unperffional staff..they are rude and need training in customer service. ..unclean rooms the breakfast room sucks I wouldn't recommend. You to waste your. Money or time here the worst hotel I ever stayed so please people if run out in this town don't come here .....................................................................

• Stayed July 2014
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Salena,

I appreciate you taking a moment to post a review about your recent visit. I greatly appreciate your input of your experience and apologize for your disappointment.

As I understand from the staff and yourself, you had 2 rooms and wanted them side-by-side. That is considered a "special request" and it is difficult to guarantee special requests in any hotel, but we do our very best in accommodating the guest. In addition, you had mentioned in your comment about not getting in your room at 3pm... This is a "start" time for check-in and being we are in the middle of season, as well as transitioning into our new check-out time change, our guests who stay with us every week or two so they didn't get out of the rooms as quickly as we had hoped in order for us to meet the 3pm check in time.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced on your visit here. I assure you this is not typical of our service or product here. We are in transition of changing the name and there is a new way of how the system interfaces with our new company, as well as Expedia now offers an option of "paying at the counter" instead of the guest pre-paying, which is very different for us and we are still trying to work out the kinks so to speak.

We have been going thru some major renovations and upgrades in just a short amount of time in order to bring to our guests a better product and I again, I am sorry for your experience.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is a very clean, well run, budget hotel AT the beach convenient to everywhere you want to be. No, it is not a five star hotel, so shame on those writing reviews like they are hotel connoisseur! It is a former Motel 6. It was never built to be a Ritz Carleton. It IS ran by some very hard working, friendly folks. I could pay three or four times more for a room at the coast but spend so little time in the room, why? OH, and the air conditioning was ICE COLD in July.

Thank You to the Staff, we will be down from Raleigh again very soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Thomas S
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Thomas S.,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn (formerly Inn at Wilmington) for your accommodations on your recent visit to Wilmington... I also appreciate you taking time to post your thoughts and comments on Trip Advisor.

I do use this site as a tool to help with improving our property as a whole and many times most guests who are happy with their stay do let us know on the property level, however, they get busy when they go home and forget to post when they do have a good stay (because it was good), but it is nice to see it posted for others to hear we do strive to provide a pleasant place for our guests.

While we are not the "Ritz", we are working towards providing an updated place for guests while working to maintain affordable prices.

Thank you for the wonderful comments about my staff... I will be sure to let them know. I do have a friendly staff and they work very hard and appreciate all our guests.

Again, thank you for taking time to share your comments and we look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The room I got, the sink was not working my door dead bolt kept sticking out so I couldn't close it, it was a horriable experience. I do not recommend this hotel. My towel was dirty, good thing i had brought my own. People next to us was smoking when it was nonsmoking room. Staff was friendly.

2 Thank rosa s
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Rosa,

I am personally sorry for your experience on your recent stay here. I can assure you that is not the standards I expect for the rooms. I can assure you I will take a look into what possibly could have happened and work to ensure this doesn't happen again. You could have called the front desk and we would have been more than happy to take you fresh and clean linens.

We are working very hard to renovate the hotel and offer a better quality of service and product to this property. We have newly painted accent walls in every room. Added a new bedding package, as well as working to decorate the rooms for a more pleasant appeal. There are many new improvements we are working towards in the rooms, but it is difficult to get everything done at this time since we are in season here in Wilmington. We have completely renovated our pool and working to improve the outside.

Again I apologize for your experience and hope that you might try us the next time you are in Wilmington when we have completed our renovations.

You are more than welcome to speak directly to me if you would like to.

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We booked a non-smoking double room for Saturday July 12. First of all, the sign says America's Best Value Inn, even though it's called the Inn at Wilmington, so we passed it twice. Upon arrival, we were unceremoniously told that even though we booked a non smoking room, they didn't have one available. The woman at the desk said, "oh...but we can come spray something if the smell is too bad," which begs the question, why not just do that in the first place if you planned on giving this room to someone who booked a non smoking room? But I digress...
After struggling with door for 5 minutes after getting to the room,the smell hit us. The room was NOT clean to say the least.The sheets were wrinkled and dirty with black smudges on them and there were ash remnants on the end of the bed (because remember, we were stuck with that smoking room we didn't book). There was stuff on the floor that had not been vacuumed up, the shower mat was dirty, and there was something on the toilet that had been left behind. I called back down to the front desk and expressed my concerns about the smell and condition of the room. I was met with a long, exasperated,impatient sigh and told "we don't have any other rooms available. We can give you a refund." At no point did anyone offer to clean the room or do anything else to make it right that would require us not leaving. It's a good thing that I live close enough that I can just drive home after a day at the beach.
My cousin and I had planned to spend the day on the beach, and then have a fun night on the town, so we were really just looking for somewhere to shower and lay our heads for the night. Yes it is cheap, but it's not worth wondering about how nasty it really is if there were those obvious issues. You really do get what you pay for. Don't bother...trust me.

3 Thank saponigirl
InnatWilmington, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn- Wilmington, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Saponigirl,

I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent visit. First I would like to say, we only just changed the name approximately 2 weeks ago and we are still in transition switching the names with all the companies we deal with and sometimes it takes a few days to a few weeks when doing so as we do have to provide proper documentation to the offices and then it filters thru. We are also working on more renovations and upgrades, but we are working on it and trying to get as much as we can for this years guests to enjoy now instead of waiting an entire year.

While I am not sure about your particular situation and what happened with the cleanliness of your room, I will be looking into this matter to find out. However, without knowing what room or time frame it would be difficult to research specifically your situation, but I will address this issue overall so this doesn't happen again as I can assure you this in not the standards we accept.

As I mentioned, we are in the process of upgrading our property and amenities such as changing out the bedding, adding refrigerators, upgrading the TV programming, adding flat screen TV's and improving the internet, just to name of few things on the inside we are working on. We have already painted the rooms and the inside of the lobby/breakfast area, renovated the pool, painted and replaced/repaired some of the outside areas. Added picnic tables in two areas...

Again, I am personally sorry and can only ask that you understand we are trying to upgrade and better the property's product and service at this time and hope you will give us a try once we have completed them.