“Good location and view at a good price”
Review of Riverview Suites

Riverview Suites
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We were in Wilmington for a weekend wedding and chose to stay at the Riverview Suites because of its location and price. It was close to the the wedding site, the USS North Carolina, and only a block away (but much cheaper than) the Hilton, site of the reception. It was also a short walk to the shops and restaurants of the Cotton Exchange (across the street from the Hilton), and is at the start of Riverwalk itself.

After finding a good rate on Expedia ($135 a nt.), I called Riverview Suites and was told they would match it (their original price was $212!). Because I spoke to them directly I was able to request an upper floor, which is a good idea if you would rather sit on your balcony looking out over the river, rather than at a tree (we were on the 5th floor, don't go lower than that; on the other hand, if you want shade, the third floor would be better for you). It's also a good idea to be higher up if you're there on a weekend when there is likely to be noise from the street. Because of reviews here, we brought our earplugs but ended up not using them. We did briefly hear some yelling Saturday night (no big deal), and there was a live band playing at Fat Tony's across the parking lot in the back, but we couldn't even hear it inside the room. .

Check-in is at the Hilton. Internet access is free, but be sure to pick up a modem at the Hilton front desk. All amenities (like pool, gym, and restaurant) are at the Hilton too.

The rooms themselves are pretty standard, as I expected, but the kitchen facilities give you the money saving option of eating in, and the balcony, location, and view make it a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank momlyn

Reviewed 23 November 2009

We spent one night at the Riverview Suites during our Marine Corps Ball. The Riverview is located in a beautiful spot beside the river on Water Street. As a guest, you will check in first at the Hilton Riverside where you are given your room keys and your parking permit. Parking is $9.00. Pricey, but I expected parking to be expensive in a historic walking district. The Riverview Suites are just across the street from the Hilton Riverside, so locating the hotel was no problem. We parked under the covered parking garage and proceeded to our room. You scan your card at the entrance to the Riverview to enter the building, then take the elevator to your room. Our room was on the fourth floor and had an AMAZING view of the river and the Battleship North Carolina (see my pictures). The room was much more spacious than I thought it would be, more like a condo than a hotel room. It had plenty of room for our group of four (my husband, my brother, my toddler, and I). The extra space was great for my toddler, who had plenty of room to play and explore. The bed was super comfy with a down comforter, and the pull-out couch was not bad, either. We had some minor issues with a clogged drain, a dusty stove, and a broken remote, otherwise everything in the room was perfect. I will warn about the noise level in the area on a Saturday night. There are several bars located in close proximity to the hotel, and there are lots of people (mainly college students) walking at all hours of the night. This equates to a high noise level from 9 pm until around 3 am. I was awakened several times to the sounds of people talking and screaming loudly in the streets below and on nearby balconies. I just know that this hotel would be lovely and possibly noise free on a weekday or Sunday, but if you are looking for a quiet getaway, Friday and Saturday nights may not be a good pick.
We spent some time walking through the area sightseeing. There are several historic landmarks, a riverboat tour, carriage rides, and beautiful photo opportunities in the area. My toddler especially loved the fountains. My brother enjoyed visiting the sights where several of his favorite television shows were filmed, such as the Hell's Kitchen set from Dawson's Creek and a coffee shop from One Tree Hill.
For families with toddlers or young children, I suggest the Wilmington Children's Museum, just a couple of miles away from the hotel.
Overall, this was a great mini vacation and I would definitely stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank morguegurl
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Stayed here for 4 days for a girls' getaway...Prior to the trip we were debating over a lot of different hotels- the nearby Hilton, Best Western and other hotels further in the city. The Riverview Suites was slightly less expensive than the Hilton and about $60 more a night more than hotels further in the city and over a $100 less than ones at Wrightsville Beach.

We are so happy that we chose the Riverview Suites! Being in historic downtown allowed us to have the Riverwalk and downtown's shops and restaurants within a few steps. Wilmington offers a variety of unique restaurants from upscale to holes in the wall- all with charm and southern flair and creativity. You have to treat yourself to Kilwin's ice cream shop, aside from seeing locals and tourists walking down the street with ice cream, the smell from the waffle cones permeates throughout Market Street. We drove to Wilmington, so we were able to go to the beach..barely 10 miles away. A must visit is Casey' BBQ Buffet, which is about 7 mi away and on the way to the beach. Comfort food extravaganza that's less than $10 for lunch- friendly wait staff.

The Riverview Suites is made up of 1 bedroom condos, some are privately owned and lived in, others are rented out for vacationers. The bedroom has a queen bed, small cable TV, dresser and closet. A spacious bathroom, with tub and shower, is in the hallway. The living area consists of a couch (pullout sleeper), cable TV, small dining room table, and a mini kitchen. The mini kitchen has a full oven and range, full fridge, and sink. There is no dishwasher, which is fine because housekeeping did our dishes. There is also a full washer and dryer (although we didn't have detergent).

Every suite has a balcony that faces the river and the Battleship North Carolina in the distance. We were on the 2nd floor, so you could basically hear and see people walking right below us- I'd request a higher level for that reason and for better views. When on the balcony, you could hear neighbors on their balcony, but there were separators so that you could have privacy.

The property rentals are managed by the Hilton, so you get the same services- housekeeping, free hi-wi (we had to have a high speed modem delivered to our room). There is also plenty of parking under an adjacent parking deck for $9 a day, which is very convenient, since street metered parking always seemed full.

If you're visiting Wilmington, I highly recommend the Riverview Suites. Again, the Hilton is probably just as nice, but that extra block closer to all the happenings, plus the extra room- while being taken care of by the Hilton- made a big difference.

For an inexpensive getaway- history, downtown scene, beach, scenic views of tv shows and movies, great food, cute boutiques, friendly people- visit Wilmington.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank joyous1212
Reviewed 29 July 2008

The hotel is great. nice rooms, great views, etc but BEWARE!!! DO NOT STAY ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY NIGHT!!! it is a haven for drunken college kids who rent a single room and throw parties all night long with reckless abandon. no security monitoring the hotel and fights all night long with kids puking their brains out. you will literally not get a minute of rest. its worse than a college dorm! i am not even remotely exaggerating. i have stayed here many, many, many times and over the weekend it turns into a redneck frat house. on the other hand, if you are staying during the week, i highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank johnrocko
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I love the view. The patio overlooks the Battleship North Carolina and the Cape Fear river. Out the front door you overlook Historic Downtown Wilmington. Nice rooms too.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank richdelux
Reviewed 11 June 2008

A friend and I stayed at the Riverview Suites during Memorial Day weekend and can’t say enough good things about it. The suite was on the 9th floor and was directly across from Battleship North Carolina with a fantastic view. Everything we needed was in the room including full kitchen with appliances, living room with a fold out sofa bed and leather recliner, and a separate large bedroom with a large closet. Another plus was the balcony that overlooked the river and the street below. The coast guard boat that is mentioned in other reviews was out to sea and not docked during our stay, so the view couldn’t have been better. The location was perfect and near almost everything from shops to dining and sightseeing.

During our stay we found the Riverview Suites to be very clean and most everything seemed updated and well maintained throughout. The Hilton staff was top notch and really was accommodating in every way. If you are planning a trip to Wilmington, you couldn’t ask for a nicer, better located stay than here! A special thanks to the management and staff for making this a memorable experience! There’s no doubt that the Riverview Suites will be my choice for future trips to Wilmington.

- LeeBracket

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeeBracket
Reviewed 16 April 2008

We stayed In the suites for two nights and had a great time. The bed was very comfortable and the balcony made for a great place for some wine at sunset. We stayed during a recent festival and it was indeed very noisy but we expected it. There is losts of cute shops and places to eat near by. I totally disagree with a previous reviewer who indicated that this was a bad neighborhood. I saw no such thing during my visit.

I will say that the noise could have been reduced if the Hotel did something about the huge gaps in the door to the room. I would stay here again if I was in town.

consider bringing snacks and maybe some wine/beer to keep in your room since you have a fridge.

Stayed: April 2008