“Thanks for a great vacation, MainStay Suites!”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
“Thanks for a great vacation, MainStay Suites!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We came out with another family to visit the beaches and landmarks. We had two rooms and stayed 5 nights. We enjoyed every minute of it. Our rooms were spotlessly clean. The breakfast lady is friendly and kept her counters clean and food stocked. My kids especially enjoyed the sausage biscuits. The staff was helpful and made everything easy for us.

This is the second year in a row that we have stayed here and we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Wilmington.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Amanda B
Wilmingtonhotels, Front Office Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank You, Amanda, for your kind words. We are so happy to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful experience. Hopefully we will see you guys again on your next visit to Wilmington! Thanks Again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
PUNTA GORDA
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This hotel is showing its age but makes up for that by the accommodating personnel and the layout of the rooms. It was great having a separate room for the bedroom and having two tvs. The whole suite is very well designed and functional...lots of good lighting and outlets, good work area, quick wifi. The kitchen is a plus. The furniture is worn and needs updated. The breakfast bar was good and very well maintained. We were there for an extended period of time due to a family emergency. We changed our checkout date several times and the staff was very professional and friendly. They made sure we had a room, even when they were sold out. Their attitude made us feel they were part of our family. The hotel became our refuge and we greatly appreciate all the efforts to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank acry-artist
Thank You for your kind words. We were glad to help you in anyway that we could, and are so happy that you were comfortable during your tough time. We love to hear when we've made our guest feel welcome and at "home". We hope you and your husband are doing well! Please let us know if we can accommodate you in the future!
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for my wedding week and so di my wedding party and family. We got a good price for the wedding party and the gm communicated quickly and was great during the planning process. Everyone was nice but some did not know what they were doing. Our rooms air was acting for a couple days but by the end of our 5 day stay it got better. I wish our guests were all on the same floor for accessibility during the craziness of getting everyone together but we made it work.
The breakfast in the morning was nice and everyone was really polite. The pool was fun and kept the kids busy. It is a great location. Its between the beach and downtown.
Overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank dperham
Thank You for choosing us for your big day! We hope it was wonderful! We apologize for everyone being scattered about. Sometimes it is tough with high occupancy, however , we will take this feedback and learn from it. Congratulations, and we hope to see you again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

With my family we decided to stay at this hotel for our summer vacation 2013. At first I was a little worried, when I read the hotel references on Tripadvisor, they some were very negatives. But everything changed on our arrival. It hotel has rooms with adequate space, very good distribution and everything you need for a long stay. Breakfast is very good, obviously considering that the hotel is affordable for a few dollars. It also has other benefits, such as a well-equipped fitness center, a little business center and laundry quite useful for only $ 1.50 considering washing and drying clothes. My wife, who is quite demanding on the investment of every dollar, and I are very pleased with this hotel. Also its location is excellent, the hotel is to 10 minutes to Wilmington downtown, and 20 minutes to Wrightsville Beach. I recommend it with confidence.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jcaranedaf
Wilmingtonhotels, Front Office Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank You so much for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Don't forget to check out our great low off season rates as well! We appreciate your business and hope to see you and your family again soon!
rhode island
Reviewed 11 July 2013

checked in and was given a room that stunk like someone urinated - front desk immediately gave us a new room. it was a better smelling however the hotel reeks of cigarettes!! having bad allergies along with asthma didn't help. my fault for assuming all hotels are smoke free. room states they have room for 6, there was 5 of us. the "full" kitchen does not have an oven, no biggie but does not have a "full" table to fit the 6 people it is supposed to accommodate . the "counter" had only 1 rolling chair to sit at. staff says oh its supposed to have 2. I don't know about you but when I eat I do not intend to be rolling around the table oh and where shall I ask the others to sit at while we eat dinner?? along with the lack of silverware (1 spoon 2 forks and 2 knives 2 plates) luckily we were prepared and had dishes and plastic ware. hhhmmm. the bed pillows are not even standard sized. they are a bit bigger than an airline pillow. the staff said "we get that complaint all the time"!! well then do something about it!! then came the fitness center. joke!! the breakfast they provide would have been great however they ran out of food!!! staff said "sorry our truck never made it". are you kidding??? I booked with the intention of having a breakfast included as part of my rate and that did not happen. just a number of aggravating issues . the staff was pretty awesome , I explained that I was not blaming them personally but was frustrated with the whole ordeal. I travel several times a year and rely on discounts to maintain my budget and don't have many issues . after contacting the manager by email I was offered an apology and asked if I would give them another try in the future. I think not. these are problems that should be rectified -seems like an ongoing complaint . they are not major issues but are the things that are most important and add up to not having a comfortable stay - very frustrating. I am pleased with the solution they offered :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank FRUGALMOM15
Wilmingtonhotels, Front Office Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank You for your review. We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with our accommodations. However, we are pleased to know that we were able to make it up to you. Have a nice summer. Hope to see you again soon.
Knightdale, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Convenient location. It was great to have a kitchenette in the room. I have certain dietary requirements so being able to fix my own hot breakfast or other meals in the room helped. The breakfast at the hotel was a standard continental breakfast with a waffle making station, but I was not really interested in that. The staff was very friendly and helpful, room was clean when we arrived although we had to ask for the room to be cleaned and had to ask for clean towels a couple of times when we were not provided with enough. Just be mindful that you may only get the trash removed unless you ask for full cleaning. This particularly day they did nothing so we had to ask for the room to be cleaned up.

The workout room was a bust for me. None of the machines worked and even the weight machines were broken. Repairs to that workout room definitely need to be looked into.

We stayed 3 nights for my birthday beach getaway. Not ideal if you are looking for a romantic spot because a lot of families are there. There was a lot of kids running in the hallway and people who had a little too much to drink so it was kind of loud at times in the evening. Overall, we had a good time and the room was comfortable. Location is great and convenient to downtown, the beach and shopping areas.

Room Tip: May want a room further away from the elevator to reduce traffic noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Wilmingtonhotels, Front Office Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for your review. Your feedback allows us to correct any issues you may have had during your stay with us, such as our fitness center. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We hope to see you again soon!
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding weekend. The hotel overall wasn't anything spectacular to write home about but it wasn't terrible either. I would recommend bringing some air freshener or candle for the room as ours has a bit of a "dank" smell to it. They did offer complimentary breakfast in the morning. The pool is shared with the Sleep Inn next door and JAMMED packed full of kids so I would recommend somewhere else if you are trying to swim. The location was the best part about this place. It was close enough to downtown to get there easily but far enough if you want to get out of the craziness. There are a ton of places to eat near by either a short walk or even shorter drive.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your helpful review.. Your feedback enables us to better serve you in the future. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location of MainStay Suites. Hope to see you again soon!