“Best in Wilmington, NC”

Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

We tried India Mahal after reading the reviews and having a disappointing meal at Tandoori Bites. India Mahal is the better of the 2 by some way. It was a friendly welcome and the food is far more genuine for sure. However the best of Indian cuisine is fresh and fragrant. Where Mahal falls down some of the sauces are clearly same-based and being overly critical may be a little "Campbell's" in taste. But the appetizers were freshly made and far superior to TN. Indian cuisine in the Port City would take a huge step forward with some freshness injected. However we will be back!

1  Thank awoolf61

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Been going here since I was a teenager and it was a hole in the wall restaurant. The flatbread and salsa-like dip is great, the curries are awesome, but what I come here for is the coconut soup-simply delicious.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

The India Mahal is, by far, the best Indian restaurant in Wilmington. Excellent buffet with a great variety, including breads. One can tell the ingredients are always fresh, the various dishes well tended at the serving station, and everything is always very nicely spiced! The staff is very friendly -- and the more you get to know them the friendlier they are. It is simply a great meal, in a great atmosphere, for a great value for Indian cuisine in Wilmington...

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We came here because we had an Attractions book coupon for "$10 off anything" and we were curious about their buffet. No one else was dining when we arrives at 12:45pm. We were immediately told that "anything" didn't include the $9 buffet. After some discussion, we were allowed partial value on the coupon.

Many buffet items were not labelled ( or had an incorrect label) and all were cool to slightly warm in temperature. The naan bread was dry and stiff. Nothing was stirred or otherwise presented in an appealing manner. That said, some of the dishes were well-seasoned and quite good - served hot, they might have bee delicious. The vegetable curries were especially rewarding.But the overall ambience was not attractive or welcoming.

My rating was based on the quality of some of the food. Skip the buffet and order direct from the menu, and you may enjoy a better experience.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I enjoyed the lunch buffett very much. The food was fresh and hot , but I got there a little before noon. I would eat there again and found it to be a good experience. I have eaten at other indian food restaurants in town but I do not enjoy them as well. I will return.