“Great Experience”

Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My family has stayed at this hotel a number of times and it has always been a great experience. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. The hotel is very pretty, the lobby always has fresh coffee, water and usually some snacks that are complimentary to all guests. There is nice sitting in lobby to relax. The room are comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
HGI-Mayfaire, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello Theresa G…We so appreciate your family’s loyalty to our award-winning Hilton Garden Inn Mayfaire. Thank you for sharing your guest experience with the Tripadvisor community. We like being super-friendly and accommodating! Beach season is here. We hope you guys can come-back soon and visit. There’s always room for you to relax in our new lobby.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a nice hotel - clean, and the staff is very friendly and helpful (especially the front desk) and we appreciated that. We chose this hotel because it was so highly reviewed on the Tripadvisor site.

There were a couple of things that were issues however.

1. This hotel is one of those newly constructed hotels that seem to have left out soundproofing of any kind between rooms and between floors. I could hear normal toned conversations in the rooms on either side of us, and I could hear the "thunderfoot" guest in the room directly above us early in the morning both mornings we were there. Those reviews that suggest taking a room on the top floor are well advised - that would at least eliminate the loud thumping around from the guest above early in the morning.

2. The beds are the "sleep adjustable" variety - at least there was notice in the room that they were adjustable. That is a good thing. A good thing, that is, if you can figure out how to adjust them! I couldn't, and I'm generally pretty good at figuring out that kind of thing. I'm not all too fussy in regard to mattress, but it would have been nice if I could have made the bed a little firmer - it was very soft. (I know that the HGI's response-posting "bot" who responds to every even slightly negative review about this hotel will gently tut-tut me and say I just should have given the front desk a call, but you know what?...I shouldn't have to do that just to adjust the firmness of my bed).

3. My wife checked us in, and she tends to be okay with first floor rooms. I don't like them. Our first floor room was two doors in from the side door that many (most?) hotel guests use to come and go to and from the parking lot and their cars. In fact, we were directed to drive around and park by that door when we checked in. That side door's hydraulic mechanism to keep it from slamming as it closed was out of whack, so the door slammed. And slammed. And then slammed some more. Every time that door opened, and someone came in or went out, it slammed. Constantly, until midnight, when the in and out foot-traffic slowed down. The slamming stared again full force at 6:30 am as guests stared to head out for the day. Yes, the response-posting bot will again tut-tut me, and say I should have spoken to the front desk. But again - come on - it's a hotel, you're the manager, or an employee, and YOU hear the door slam. Why do I have to tell you the door is slamming? Just fix it already! If I had told you about it, the solution at that moment would have been to move us to another room, since it wasn't getting fixed at 7:30 pm when we checked in. But by the time I realized it would be a problem, my wife had already unpacked, and making her move rooms at that point would have created a worse problem for me than putting up with the noise, That's why I didn't report it. (Plus, since everyone could hear it, and it hadn't been fixed, fixing it clearly wasn't a priority for the hotel.)

4. This was one of four different hotels we stayed at during this trip. This was a Hilton branded hotel. It was the only one we stayed at on the trip that didn't have some kind of free breakfast. USA Today - free. Breakfast - kind of pricey for what it was. And you're forced to tip a waitress on top of that just to bring your eggs order over from the cook (who's right in front of you, in your sight, and who puts the plate up on the counter and rings a bell)! It seemed kind of silly to me. And a way to ding me for for a few bucks more for something.

5. I've seen other complaints in the reviews of this hotel about the speed of wi-fi in the hotel rooms. They're true - wi-fi is slow. The ethernet port in the room is just a placebo; it doesn't really work, so that's no help. And no, it's not my laptop's firewall or configuration settings. The wi-fi is slow! I didn't need to do anything really important on the web while I was there, but since we were in the area to scope out real estate, it would have been nice if the internet access was quicker, to pull up listings while I had some time.

In the sense of full disclosure: My wife really liked this hotel. Her hearing is not good, so none of the noise issues were problematic for her,. She happened to like the setting on her sleep-adjustable bed, so she was fine with hers. In fact she didn't even know the bed was adjustable. Paying for the breakfast didn't bother my wife, and in fact, the flip side of paying for breakfast seemed to be that it eliminated the families with three kids under the age of seven who all come to breakfast in their pajamas (including mom). Finally, this was a vacation for my wife, so she left her laptop at home and didn't have to deal with wi-fi speed issues.

Also, this hotel is located in one of those newly-built mixed-use complexes with offices, condos, retail and restaurants included in the complex, if you like that sort of thing. Lots of retail shopping and chain restaurants.

Room Tip: Stay off the ground floor at all costs - too much hallway traffic. Try to be on the top floor to el...
1  Thank jim914109
HGI-Mayfaire, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

jim914109…We appreciate that you two chose to stay at our award winning HGI, based on the positive reviews posted on this site by fellow Tripadvisor contributors. We’re glad you both feel that we are a clean, nice hotel and the staff is very friendly and helpful (especially the front desk). By the way, I am not a response-posting “bot”. I am a live person who responds to all of our HGI Mayfaire Tripadvisor reviews from my office in the hotel. My business cards are on the front desk and my sales awards are for all to see in our trophy case, next to the front desk. Regarding the feedback from your recent stay…Mitigating guestroom noise is our top concern. We’re very sorry that you had to experience a noisy neighbor. We walk the halls every evening in an effort to keep the noise to a minimum. Bed comfort is very subjective, especially as it relates to our adjustable Garden Sleep System king bed. As you mentioned, your wife liked the bed but you didn’t. And yes, our helpful front desk associates would have assisted you regarding the operation of our Garden Sleep System bed, had you asked. We get these calls all the time. It is our pleasure to help our guests, in an effort to ensure a restful nights’ sleep. We do appreciate the feedback regarding the side door. Those doors do receive a substantial amount of usage and from time-to-time, need adjusting. Your comment about the door has already been addressed with our chief engineer. We thank you for bringing this to our attention. When a maintenance issue arises, we tackle the issue right away. All Hilton Garden Inn hotels have a full service restaurant in the hotel. We are open for breakfast, dinner and evening room service. For those looking to add additional value to their stay, the HGI Brand does offer a Bed & Breakfast package online . We trust that you enjoyed your cooked-to-order omelet? Like any full service restaurant, a gratuity for the server is up to your discretion. Our servers are like any server in any restaurant. They are there to serve you. Comments from your fellow TA contributors is universal regarding the service and quality of our full service breakfast (as well as our dinner and evening room service). And finally, your experience with our Wi-Fi is unfortunate. There are a couple of isolated pockets within the hotel that from time to time, have challenges. These are being addressed/corrected as I write this. Whew…We hope that you and your wife choose to stay with us again if travel brings you through Wilmington. Safe travels! Feel free to contact me directly @ 910-202-5995 or ILMTC_DS@hilton.com.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Eric, Nick, and Janice have been exceptionally helpful. Room is well laid out and comfortable. The location is great. Shopping and dining are close by. Accommodate special needs for allergies very well. Employees are very friendly and personable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you BradLockerbie for the wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate you recognizing the stellar efforts of Eric, Nick and Janice. They embody the spirit of what HGI Mayfaire is all about. We’re so pleased that you guys enjoyed your stay. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed two nights, April 17 & 18, 2014. The front desk staff were very nice as they allowed us to check in at 11am. We had a room with a king sized bed and a sleeper sofa. The furnishings were very nice and appropriate for a hotel that is close to the beach and in a historic town like Wilmington. The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. The shower had a nice shower head that was adjustable and had great water pressure. The hotel’s restaurant where they served breakfast was very nice with made to order eggs. My only complaint is the bed – it was not very comfortable – too hard for my tastes. We had a great stay, just not the best sleep.

3  Thank 1967foodie
HGI-Mayfaire, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you 1967foodie for your honest review/feedback from your stay last weekend at our award-winning HGI Mayfaire. We’re so glad that you had a great stay and were pleased with our full service restaurant, amenities and customer service. As far as our Garden Sleep System adjustable beds; we’re sorry that you guys didn’t have a great nights’ sleep. Perhaps you didn’t know that you can adjust the firmness setting on your bed? That would explain a firmness that was not to your liking for you and your spouse. We look forward to you guys coming back to beautiful Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Their wifi is horrible. It took more than 30 minutes to download an assignment that should have taken less than a minute. The wifi kept quitting on me and I had to constantly monitor it to make sure my file got downloaded. Using the network cable didn't help. I printed a file using their 'net printer, I hope it is downstairs waiting for me to print it out. I am used to staying at HGI but this one is not up to the standard HGI property. Don't stay here if wifi is important to you.

Their sound insulation is not very good either. I could hear the heavy footed person staying in the room above walking around all night and early this morning. It is very annoying to listen to a person walk around for hours. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor if you are annoyed by hearing someone walk around in the room above you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ncg8r

Hello ncg8r…We’re so sorry that you experienced Wi-Fi connectivity issues during your recent stay with us. Had we known that you were experiencing difficulty prior to your departure, we could have assisted you. In the rare instance when a guest has connectivity challenges, it is usually related to a firewall within the user’s system. Had we known, we would have put you in contact with the helpdesk at Stay Connected; our Wi-Fi provider. They do a great job of assisting in cases like yours. Also, we’re very sorry that you had a loud neighbor above you. Had we known there was an issue, we certainly would have mitigated the issue(s). On behalf of the entire team here at the award-winning HGI Mayfaire, we invite you to give us another try to earn your business, next time travel brings you back to Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach. Safe travels!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We are Hilton Gold elite members! We have become very used to being treated as special guests when we stay at a Hilton. The desk people were rude and non responsive to any request we made at this Hilton property. We went one day without our room being made up, even though the maid was standing in front of our door when we left for the day. We have been frequent guests of this hotel in Wilmington and this was the worst stay we have ever had there. I must blame management! I think we may explore other options on our next trip. This was the first time we were ever disappointed with a Hilton Garden Inn anywhere in the country! The noise level from the room above us was so bad we called the desk two times during the night and we were told the people just checked in and I asked if they came with a herd of cattle, nothing was done and this went on for close to an hour and it was the middle of the night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
HGI-Mayfaire, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Yikes PEQUA1767…We’re so sorry that our award-winning HGI did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us. As a frequent guest of ours, I’m sure you have had many pleasant interactions with our outstanding front desk associates. Reading past reviews from fellow Tripadvisor contributors, you can see the overwhelmingly positive comments about our fantastic proactive front desk staff. We do however; take your comments very seriously. I can assure you that your concerns have been addressed already. We hope that as a frequent past guest of ours; you will give us another chance to earn your business. Thank you.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm always disappointed with having a place that doesn't include breakfast. One good thing I will say is there were two levels. Pay the $5.95 for continental or $9.95 for continental plus cook to order. The front desk was pretty nice and answered questions quickly. But mostly I was there just to sleep & eat breakfast between work shifts. Pillows were a bit lumpy/flat but I never requested new ones either. Yay for the kurig in the room too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hello Torey R! Thanks so much for the great review and feedback from your recent stay with us. Our front desk associates take great pride in providing outstanding customer service to all of our guests. Also, thanks for mentioning our new in-room Keurig K-Cup coffee brewers. Our guests love them! We’re sorry that you were disappointed about the cost of breakfast in our full service Garden Grille & Bar restaurant. All HGI hotels have a full service restaurant onsite. Next time I suggest you try our Bed & Breakfast package that includes our cooked-to-order breakfast in the rate. This package can be found on our web site or by calling the reservation number. We hope to see you again real soon! Safe travels.