“Gourmet Brought to Cupcakes”

The Peppered Cupcake
Ranked #1 of 28 Dessert in Wilmington
Price range: US$3 - US$4
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Delivery
Description: The Peppered Cupcake is a gourmet cupcakery. Our mission is to provide even the most sophisticated palette with creative, exciting, irresistible, gourmet cupcakes that will give a whole new twist to the cupcake concept. Each of our gourmet cupcake recipes are baked fresh and from scratch daily using fresh ingredients. Off the hook! Our slogan is what inspires us to think outside of the box when it comes to our next creation. We are constantly inventing and reinventing our recipes to please our sophisticated Foodies. Our cupcakes are unique combinations inspired by some of our favorite dishes. Some sweet, some savory, some a combination of both. Southern influences have also made an impact by incorporating a Southern flare into some of our cupcakes such as the Sweet Tater & Molasses with pork cracklings. We also use liquors and liqueurs and sometimes they make it into the cakes;) Need we say more?
Atlanta, Georgia
“Gourmet Brought to Cupcakes”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I'm not a dessert person. I typically pass on the sweets in favor for breads and appetizers. But we walked down to this bakery to have a taste. I was intrigued by the various flavor combinations so we thought we would give it a try. I had the "Crème Brûlée" and my partner had the "Peach Daiquiri Thyme". We took them down to the Riverfront and sat on a bench and ate them. They were certainly yummy. These gourmet cupcakes are not something I see being gobbled down, but rather, savored. They are a bit pricey (about $4 with tax each), so it is something that you do to enjoy and not "woof down." If you are used to supermarket cupcakes, or cupcakes someone brings to the office, then these are not the same things. And if young kids are used to the cheap cakes, then they might not appreciate the flavor and artistry of these desserts...they might like them but may not "appreciate" them. We certainly appreciated the time, effort, and quality that went into these cupcakes. Give them a try!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank DrBillH
Tabitha M, Owner at The Peppered Cupcake, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for your review and thank you for taking the time to explain the difference in your everyday cupcake. Some folks don't understand the work and time that goes into these cupcakes. Everything we do is from scratch and is a constant in the making all day...especially right now during tourist season. We don't get to sit down because something is always going on. I appreciate your appreciation as well. So happy you got to sit down on the waterfront and enjoy your dessert. Makes all even more special! Thank you for sharing!

Davidson, North Carolina
“Amazing cupcakes! Not so quick service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We came here due to the high reviews and were very happy with the 6 we tried. Deeeelish! The only reason we gave 4/5 stars is because the place is tiny and business was slow when we came in but it seemed to take forever to be served the 6 we ordered. I would definitely come back here again though... Despite my husband saying service should be quicker when the only thing sold is cupcakes. Cupcakes are gourmet and the variety is awesome!

Visited August 2014
Thank you for your review. We like to hear all opinions. Good or bad, I do apologize that you had to wait so long, however, we certainly would never want to be a fast serviced cupcakery. There is a huge difference with our cupcakes. Everything gets topped off fresh, whether its fresh whipped cream, nuts, fruit, etc. I have a certain presentation that I want as they go out the door. We do not predecorate the last bits of many of our cakes. We want you to have fresh toppings when you taste our cuppies. If you came on Friday or Saturday at the beginning of August, thankfully they have been our 2 busiest days this season. You may have just walked in after one of our rushes that day. Not complaining for we are just tickled we have been so busy. A family owned business we run the whole show with just two of us and although I'm not making excuses on my end...LOL. I am 8 months pregnant so I do apologize you had to wait so long and hope that we do get to see you again and hope you enjoyed your choices.
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“THE BEST CUPCAKES EVER!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I can only describe these cupcakes as a little piece of heaven. Now, I'm not a cake person. I'm a pie person. But, I was going to be in the area for a couple days so I did a little research to find some places to eat. This place was number one on the list so I knew I had to give it a try plus the unique offerings really peaked my interest and tastebuds. We stopped in on a Friday around 6-ish- hoping to miss the after dinner rush and have more options to choose from. We got a variety of options, banana split, mocha, creme brûlée, turtle, salted caramel, and bourbon pecan. My first bite of the salted caramel was heavenly! The buttercream was perfectly sweet but not too sweet and buttery with a perfect drizzle of salted caramel on top. The cupcake itself was tender, moist and amazingly delicious paired with the frosting. I couldn't help but say "mmmmm" after each delectable bite. A little while later I ate the Turtle one and found it was just as amazing and the candied pecan was the perfect crunch on top. I had a bite of the creme brûlée, banana split, and mocha flavors others in my family chose. They were all SO delicious I could never choose a favorite. If you haven't tried this place, GO, run there right now. You will not be sorry. You will only wish you had a dozen more after you're done.

1 Thank Lori G
Thank you for your review and thank you for coming back again. So happy you enjoyed the cupcakes and sampled some of each. Glad I read your review before you came back and got a chance to thank you in person. Please stop by next time you're in town.
West Chester, Ohio
“Must try”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent all the way around. We stopped in to try because of all the high remarks, everyone is correct. Make the effort to stop you will not be disappointed with any cupcake you select.

Tabitha M, Owner at The Peppered Cupcake, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
LOL...I think I may remember you folks. I overheard someone say that they wanted to see what all the hype was about. Then I heard, "oh I see". Maybe this was you. Either way I am glad we lived up to what you were hearing. It means a lot to keep hearing affirmations. I do love what I do and can't wait to blow the socks of people each day. Thanks for the review!
Columbia, South Carolina
“F'N AMAZING”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not a big sweets guy, but this place is amazing. The best cupcakes I've ever had!! It's not too sweet and perfect texture of bread and icing. Also, the apple crisp with ice cream is awesome!

1 Thank throwbricksson
Thank you for your review. I often get folks that come and say they aren't a big fan on sweets and they are surprised to find the cupcakes here at TPC are not overly sweet. Probably the biggest compliment that we receive is that the cakes are the right amount sweetness. I'm glad you enjoyed and hope to see you again soon!