“What an amazing house to stay in!”
Review of The Verandas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
The Verandas
Ranked #2 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Chapel Hill, NC
“What an amazing house to stay in!”
Reviewed 22 January 2007

We really enjoyed the stay at The Verandas! I took my wife there for her birthday and we had a great time. The riverwalk was nearby along with the USS North Carolina, with so much to do and see. Breakfast was excellent at the Verandas, and Chuck even made a cake for my wife, which was wonderful. Dennis and Chuck were very nice host and were very helpful!

• Liked — The food was great!
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mikewraabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Virginia
Reviewed 12 September 2006

This is a wonderful B&B, and one of the best if not the best we have ever stayed in. We were made to feel welcome from the minute we arrived. Dennis and Chuck are great, they are warm and gracious, and make you feel like one of the family.

The B&B itself has been incredibly restored, everytime we went downstairs a different detail would catch our eye. It was beautifully appointed. The rooms themselves were wonderful, clean, and elegant. After a great nights sleep it was down to breakfast.

WOW, breakfast was a pleasure, the open and airy dining room along with the good (delicously good ) food , and the table conversation made this one of the favorite parts of our stay. We arrived on a Friday and left on a Monday, and each morning the breakfast was a different delight.

Over all this was a Great Experience in a place where our visit was truely enhanced by the recommendations of our hosts, their friendliness, and their hospitality !!!

We will definitely visit again,

Don and Jane

• Liked — Overall elengance of the establishment, friendliness of hosts, location in historic downtown area
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Been_there_don_that
New York
Reviewed 2 September 2006

I asked several realtors in Wilmington where I should stay. None suggested The Verandas. I researched hotels online, and ruled out the Hilton. (Yes, it is as bad as it sounds in the reviews!)

I ended up at The Wilmingtonian, and I "upgraded" to the "mansion." My realtor was afraid to leave me there the first night. The room smelled of mold, and there was mold around the A/C vents; the internet connection rarely worked, and it was not secure; there was no staff assigned to the house at night, and there were very few guests; the restaurant was closed until Wed. I was virtually alone in a creepy, moldy house. The condo-style Wilmingtonian Inn looked just as bad and not particularly safe for a woman traveling alone. I checked out in the morning and, to their credit, I was not charged an early departure fee.

At 8:00 AM, I called The Verandas to check availability. Unfortunately, I interrupted the host who was trying to cook breakfast. However, he called me back promptly and told me that he had a room for me.

I stayed on the 3rd floor in a very quiet room at The Verandas. It was nicely appointed, clean, and comfortable. I was impressed with the owners' attention to detail--and I am not easily impressed. I have been traveling for business for 20 years. The Verandas is a beautifully restored historic home. The property is lovingly maintained and managed. Breakfast is so good that I even managed to get out of bed early (8:30 AM) every day of my stay.

This was my first trip to Wilmington, so I made a point of visiting other properties that I had read about online. The key to staying Downtown is to stay in a place that is close enough to walk to restaurants/stores, but not so close that you are disturbed by the bars at night. The Verandas is perfectly located at Second and Nun. And, yes, they live up to their slogan, "Second to Nun"! I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Beautiful Inn with great owners/staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast was a tad early for me, but worth it.
  • Tips/Secrets — There is a computer available with internet access 24/7.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank travelmuse
home
Reviewed 20 August 2006

FANTASTIC!! The food was wonderful and Dennis and CHuck were a joy to be with. You felt like you were staying in their home as family guests instead of staying at an Inn. They were so helpful and added not a touch, but a huge helping of hospitality. Thanks guys for making our seventeeth wedding anniversy so special.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — ask the owners for resturaunt recomendations
3 Thank npassero
North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2006

Being relatively new to North Carolina, we decided to spend some time in Wilmington to see the historic district and other areas in town. We wanted to stay at a bed & breakfast and were fortunate enough to have found a wonderful place, The Verandas. Chuck and Dennis are gracious and engaging hosts. The rooms are generous and comfortable keep neat as a pin thanks to excellent housekeeping. The furnishings are truly elegant but at the same time welcoming and comfortable.

We started our days with scrumptious breakfasts, varyied each day but always with fresh fruit and light breakfast entree. Good meals with good company and attentive hosts are a great way to start the day.

We enjoyed our stay and look forward to our next visit.

Millie and Dave

• Liked — The beautiful and relaxing accomodations
  • Disliked — N.A.
  • Tips/Secrets — N.A.
3 Thank MLV68
Rotherham
Reviewed 1 August 2006

We stayed for seven nights in July and couldn't have found a more perfect place.

Dennis, Chuck and Peggy made our stay so enjoyable and couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

Amanda and David - Yorkshire, England

• Liked — Friendlness of owners and B&B itself
  • Disliked — n.a
1 Thank Amanda/David
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 31 July 2006

The Verandas is everything you are looking for in a B&B: knowledgeable and friendly owners, beautifully appointed rooms, great location, delicious breakfasts, and interesting guests. We recommend it without hesitation.

Stayed July 2006