“Above and Beyond”

Holiday Inn Express Wilson Downtown
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Wilson
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My sister and I first stayed at the HIE as our father had become seriously ill. The staff was warm and helpful due to our difficult situation and considerate knowing we were from out of town. Sadly, during our stay our father passed away. Shelby, the manager, and her staff went above and beyond to help us in every way. They provided information about the area, consistently asked what they could do to help, and helped make arrangements for arriving family and guests. But most of all they were compassionate and caring. The facility was well-maintained, clean, and we felt safe during our stay. If this was a star rating, we would give Shelby and her staff 5 out of 5 stars! Without question, they will be our Wilson accommodation choice in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fisher W

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I stayed overnight here for a conference during the week. The rooms are clean but average, the public rooms the same, nothing exceptional. What is exceptional is the attitude of the staff. Here they have a happy hour every night that is ...HAPPY! they have beer, wine munchies and even lasagna. Since I was on a short break with no chance for dinner, this did the trick. Breakfast was standard but large and well served. Heck... for the price of the room I got two meals! Front desk ladies were fun and helpful. It's a standard place but well above standard service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank suepyt
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times. I was there in Dec 2012 and again just before Easter (late March 2013). Sometime between those two visits things changed a lot here. Before: the service was very friendly, warm - like visiting home folks. After, in March, the hotel was still very nice, but the service seemed colder, much more like a business transaction than a friendly encounter. I know many people prefer that, but I did not like it as much. I don't know whether they're under new management or new owners or what, but I wish they could reproduce the nicer atmosphere we experienced in our visits in Dec 2012 and earlier. I wish I could rate them somewhere higher than "average" but I didn't consider it "very good" so ....

Initial review from a late December 2012 trip: My mother and I have stayed at the Wilson HIE at least 4 times over the past 8 or 9 months and we have had a great experience each time. VERY HIGH marks for Erika. When I called to schedule our second visit, Erika answered the phone -- and remembered us! She seems to work all the time and geniunely cares about the guests in her care. We like the rooms. I do prefer to stay on the floors that have ice machines -- it's not fun having to walk down the stairs to get ice. But other than that, I don't have any bad things to say. I like the breakfast buffet -- it isn't the best breakfast I've ever had, but it's a buffet in a hotel! It's much better than most hotel breakfast buffets I've had. As to the person who say roaches, in our four visits (or so) I've never seen any critters at large. I think it is a good stay for the money. My mother is at the point where she can't really comfortably stay with relatives anymore for various reasons -- and I am very comfortable leaving her at the HIE at times when I have to be out but she doesn't want to go. I have no doubt that the staff there would take care of her if she needed it. All in all, I find it a really comfortable, safe place to be and recommend it to anyone who isn't in the market for a Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: Get a room on the same floor with the ice machines.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2013

Dear Alex D,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I am pleased to know you found our accommodations comfortable and staff service commendable. However, I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with some hotel aspects during your stay as we always strive to provide a unique experience to all our guests. I sincerely apologize for any discomfort you experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope that you will afford us another opportunity to showcase our usual levels of service.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stay here quite frequently and always have had good experiences. The staff is always very helpful. The rooms are clean and the furninshings are in good condition. The only complaint I ever have is that the workout room needs updating. There is only 1 treadmill and on more than 1 occassion I have found it to be out of order.

Room Tip: During baseball season try to get a room on the East (front) side of the building. You might catch...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DennisNewnan_GA
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We stay at HIEs a lot, so we know the breakfast line-up like the back of our hand. This one was awful. My kids tried the juice and said it was "horrible" and "disgusting." We didn't try it ourselves but think it was probably watered down. I'm not a big fan of HIE coffee, but this was truly bad. My husband thought it was watered down, but I really wasn't sure why it was so bad. There were hardly any customers having breakfast so no reason for any shortages of food, but still, when we arrived at breakfast there were no scrambled eggs, no bacon, no bananas, no hard-boiled eggs, no peanut butter, and no real butter. The lady brought the eggs and bacon, and then we asked for all the other things one by one as we went to get them and found none. She did bring them out when requested, except she said they didn't have real butter and never do. I believe the other HIEs we've stayed in typically have had real butter. Also, there were just a few slices of bread remaining for most of our breakfast, but she did bring some out when we were about to request some.

The room was quiet and clean, the beds comfortable.The guy who greeted us upon arrival was fantastic: super-nice and welcoming. I think his name might have been Reggie, but it was late and we're not sure about that.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 138AD
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear 138AD,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us. I am pleased to know that you find our room clean, quiet and comfortable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are happy you experienced it as such. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience the breakfast options may have caused you. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention and rest assured, your comments will surely be looked into.

I look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband spent the night at this Holiday Inn Express while in town for business. Everything was great, clean, comfortable, and staff was wonderful. The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because there were some loud people in the room next door...all evening - seemed like the walls were very thin. Other than that is was a very pleasant stay! He said will stay there again when he returns to Wilson to continue business affairs.

Both of us stayed at this same hotel last year when in town for continuing education classes. Everything was very nice, and I don't recall any loud neighbors:)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Karin S
Reviewed 7 March 2013

This was my first trip ever to Wilson and this hotel. The common areas were all very neat and clean. Check-in and Check-out both went very smoothly and the staff were very professional. The room was very clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable and had several pillows of various firmness to satisfy any guest. I slept restfully all night long on the bed. The bathroom was well stocked with towels and other supplies. The shower had an abundance of hot water and warmed up quickly. The hair dryer worked very nicely. The ironing board was a bit flimsy but the iron was clean and worked well. One of the most important things for me was that the room heating/cooling system was very quiet. Some hotels have those cheap "under the window" units that come on repeatedly throughout the night to disrupt your sleep. The room was very quiet. The morning breakfast was sufficient but a bit sparse. I did enjoy the automatic pancake maker that popped out two tasty pancakes in about 90 seconds. I did not have a chance to use any of the other services (business center, workout room, or pool) so I can't address those. Overall, a great value for the money.

Room Tip: The 5th floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business