“Smelly” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Wilson
York, PA
“Smelly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Driving from Florida back to PA we picked this hotel as a midway stop for the night. Being a gold priority club member it was strange the receptionist did not acknowledge this, which is rare. The lobby was okay but when we got to the second floor the first thing we noticed was the strong odor of cigarettes. The signs on all the doors of the rooms said no smoking however this was not being enforced. We hoped our room wouldn't stink but it was equally reeking of smoke. We tried to open the window but it had wasps on the sill. I haven't been in this kind of smoking situation in a long time. Usually you have to sign a paper that says you will be charged a gigantic fee if you smoke in the room. What is going on with this hotel? Other then that the room was small and very dated with a chain lock on the door. Didn't get much sleep there, the bed wasn't very comfortable and the air conditioner/heater was extremely noisy. I would never stay there again, couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank amsirius
Kathleen B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. I will certainly be speaking with our front desk staff to remind them of the importance of acknowledging Rewards Club members. Loyalty is important to us and yours should have been recognized. We do have 6 rooms in the property that are smoking and they are on the second floor. I am sorry that you had to experience the smell of the cigarettes in your non smoking room. All of the rooms on the first floor are non smoking. Our front desk staff should have spent more time with you to educate you on the hotel and find a room that would best meet your needs. Once again, I apologize for your unsatisfactory stay and hope you will give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your experience in more detail.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

we are partial to holiday inn express facilities-specially when they're new which this one is apparently not. slightly faded around the edges but otherwise ok and a good value. our dog is on the larger size but the clerk at the desk said it was a slow night and booked us in - thankfully 'cause it was christmas night and so nice to find room at the inn.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with others. We are always working to improve our property and feedback such as yours helps us to highlight what we need to focus on. I am glad you and your pet found room at the inn.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were driving down from New York to Florida for Christmas when we hit a deer on i95 and got stuck on the hotel exit. They accommodated every one of our needs, offered any help possible, and took a lot of stresses associated with damaging your vehicle off of us with their friendly and helpful demeanor. The next day when we were stuck waiting for our rental car for hours, they accommodated us by allowing us to have as late a check out as we needed. They even brought us some cake from the staff Christmas lunch they were having and offered to help with the cost f the room the second night if we were still stranded. I am constantly driving back and forth from ny to ga and I know that I will stay here every time I travel from now on! They were amazing!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Pandaqu33n
Kathleen B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about your stay at our property. We are just happy that we could be a help in such a stressful situation. We hope to see you again as you travel back and forth.
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Here for a soccer weekend. Old property but nice staff who work with you, breakfast was really pretty good. The last match was on a rainy cold day. Manager let us check out really late so my daughter could take a warm shower and change into dry clothes for the 7 hour trip home. For the price the property was worth it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you so much for sharing the good experience you and your team had at our hotel. We enjoy hosting the larger groups and it was a pleasure to have you all. We hope we get to host your team next year and hope you had a good and safe trip home.
Smithfield, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We were driving to Florida for Thanksgiving but weather and traffic prevented us from making it to our planned stopping point in Florence, SC... we pulled into this hotel with no reservation. The hotel was bright and the room clean and quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. On our return trip we had a negative experience at our hotel and walked out. We stayed here again as a back up so they saved the day twice on one vacation

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank LewAndBobbi
Kathleen B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
I am so glad that our hotel and staff made your Thanksgiving travel a pleasant experience. We love to hear when guests enjoyed their stays. We hope to see you the next time you are traveling to Florida.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Convenient to I 95 with a Cracker Barrel in the back parking lot was a plus. Hotel was clean but small. Lobby has couch and two chairs and "business area" is a desk with a desktop computer and chair. Rooms were outdated with old card locks that did not work 8 out of 10 tries; however, we were told the hotel is in the "process of changing locks" and we were to expect difficulty with the locks. GREAT NEWS when you are bleary-eyed checking in at 11 pm after driving all day. Front desk staff courteous and patient each of the 12-15 times I had them walk down the hall to unlock my room with a master key. Management obviously frustrated with the situation, and so was I. They did make the situation right with me by comping a nights' stay (1 of 4). Breakfast was typical, and area to eat is small and was very crowded every morning. Just seemed cramped. Room has split sink and toilet/shower area. Again very odd and outdated. Room was normal sized, but mattresses were new and firm. Flat screen TV good. AC/heat was good. Overall, older hotel compared to newer HIE which have bigger lobbies, bathrooms, dining areas. Management (Kathleen) very nice and honestly trying hard to make guests happy with stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with others. I would like to once again apologize for the issues with your door lock and thank you for your patience in dealing with it. I would also like to thank you for your kind words and compliments towards our staff. They are a great bunch of people who really enjoy taking care of our guests and it is always nice when their efforts are appreciated.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Phyllis and Kathleen really took care of my family while they stay at Hotel during our family reunion from the first day when,I book the rooms Phyllis was very nice and respectful person,I will recommend this Hotel to my family and friends in the near future thank you was again for making my family very welcome and showing good customer service. Gwen Lee

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Wilson I-95, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your enjoyable experience at our hotel. We take great pride in our customer service and love it when guests feel appreciated and valued. We enjoyed having your entire family with us for the reunion and look forward to seeing you again.