“Could have been better....need some improvement.”

Crossland Studios Winston-Salem - University Parkway
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Could have been better....need some improvement.”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Several different things. But for one night, I could stand the troubles. Didn't see bugs but there was other things like...hanging down exhaust fan from ceiling, no remote.Tv good and fuzzy on certain channels. But for the $$$$, it will pass.

Room Tip: The time I stayed before this one was much better. I addressed the hotel corporate office but never...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here for WSSU's homecoming last weekend. Nice staff, however the hotel was overbooked. My room smelled like smoke even though I specifically requested non-smoking. There were no extra was cloths or toilet tissue! Plus stink bugs dead & alive upon checking in. Because they were overbooked I couldn't switch rooms. The outlet behind the night stand was coming apart & looked very unsafe. The dishes in the kitchen also looked like they hadn't been washed! Doubt I stay here ever again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Winston Salem hotels

Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 1 October 2013

the hotel staff was very professional and friendly. I enjoyed meeting them and talking to them about the area. The room was a good value and clean. The landscaping and the grounds were well kept. the kitchen area was small but worked well for my needs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Ok in a nutshell I was to stay at Crossland on northpoint in Winston Salem all the time. Never had no complaints. Been gone bout 6 years and the place has aged. Roaches (dead/alive) broken chairs, nasty sheets, hot refrigerator, 1 battery in remote, old school tvs with no outlet for my game. Not a good look when this use to be on of the finer hotels

• Stayed September 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a Spring Break trip with my college track and field team this past March (2013). On our second night there, someone broke into our hotel room (via sliced the screen open and jumped in) and ROBBED US. Luckily, we were all out eating dinner so no one was in the room when it happened. Our iPods were stolen, clothes, my retainers (for some odd reason), and our phone chargers. Our peace of mind was totally destroyed and we were devastated. We still have not been reimbursed for our stolen property because their local management as well as corporate management is terrible. The staff was sub-par.

In addition to the robbery, the refrigerator did not get cold, they only give you two towels per room (we went down to ask for new towels... only to receive "new" towels with mascara all over them), there were holes in the bedspreads, and crumbs in the sheets. The light also did not have a cover over it, but was rather just a dangling bulb. Numerous people on the trip also noticed a cab would come by every so often and various people would go out to the cab, make an exchange, and walk away. So this hotel is most likely involved in a drug ring.

All I can say about this is this is hands down the worst hotel/motel/whatever you want to call it experience I have ever had in my life. I can deal with poor staff and a 2 star room, but when your safety is at risk that is where the line should be drawn. It is truly amazing this place is still in business. If you care about your life and the life of your loved ones, I suggest you either stay at a different hotel... or sleep on the streets. Either is a safer option.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Daryn H
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stopped here with two other family members on our way back from a SC vacation. We were looking for a cheap but decent place to stay for just one night. We booked over the phone through Priceline's "Match your price" deal without reading reviews or looking at photos. I suppose we were a bit surprised that it's more of a motel than a hotel but overall we had a fine experience.

We basically checked in, slept and left, so I didn't have many encounters with the staff until after we checked out and I realized (the following day) that I had left my favorite clothing item in the room. They were pants that I had made for me in Vietnam and have some strong sentimental value so it was very important to me to get them back. After a day or two of me calling and the staff searching, they located my pants and held them there to get picked up.

It's no five-star hotel but it's a decent place to stay if you're ok with a basic room -- few amenities but also, really affordable. Our room had a small bathroom and kitchen. It was clean enough (though did have somewhat of a musty smell)... And when we checked out, the price was $20 less than we were quoted over the phone, making the grand total something like $53.00, so all in all, it's a decent place at an excellent price. Room-wise, you get what you pay for. Staff-wise, my expectations were exceeded. Thanks for finding my pants!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, Ohio
Reviewed 1 August 2013

It took 15 minutes to check in due to the clerk running reports. The first room smelled. The second room had not been made up, and the third room was suitable. I should have not done a hidden bid for less than a 2.5 star.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Studios Winston-Salem - University Parkway, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The situation you described regarding the the rooms is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is ensuring that all rooms are checked on a daily basis. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at wsu2@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.