“Don’t Let First Impressions Put You Off”

Sleep Inn Hanes Mall
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Nelson, New Zealand
“Don’t Let First Impressions Put You Off”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

This Sleep Inn is tucked out of the way down a cul de sac behind the shopping mall with large trucks parked nearby. I40 is across the roadway on the other side of the fence. Not the greatest of locations. However, this was more than made up with the generous size and the cleanliness of the rooms. The bedding was decent quality and fresh and clean. We did like the walk in shower. The breakfast was one of the better healthier ones we have come across. Good value for money. Don’t let the first impressions put you off staying.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at the Sleep Inn/Hanes Mall Court on 5/25 - 5/28 and it was very nice, clean and the staff was very helpful. The rooms are very spacious and we were able to get a roll-away as well, with enough space to still be comfortable. Kudos to the Sleep Inn for their prices, great service and accommodating staff. Will will definitely book with this hotel on our next trip to NC.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed 1 night on our way to Virginia. The rooms are a bit smaller than some hotels. The room was clean. Bed pillows were smaller than normal - but at least there were 4 pillows on each bed. Hotel is behind some other businesses and can be easily missed. A nice stay at a good price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
alnc271, General Manager at Sleep Inn Hanes Mall, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
TOOTTRAVEL 5,

We appriciate your time and effort post your comments regarding your stay at the Sleep Inn Hanes Mall! I am please that you had a nice stay with us. To make our guests' stay more comfortable, we are in the process of updating the pillows. We look forward to your return

Wishing you safe travels and happy summer~
CT
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We were in Winston Salem for three days to visit an area college and using credit card rewards for our stay. We were given a choice of a few hotels in the area and as usual I consulted Trip Advisor to make an informed decision. I chose the Sleep Inn Hanes Mall above all others due to the consistent reviews of cleanliness.

Tim was the desk clerk who checked us in. Throughout our stay he provided us with information on area restaurants, directions, extra towels and southern hospitality.

The hotel has recently undergone a remodel to give it a more modern look. The guestroom had two double beds and was on the smaller side. The sink was located outside the bathroom. The bathroom had only a shower stall which was fine with us but may not be acceptable to those traveling with smaller children. True to previous reviews, I found our room and all common areas of the hotel to be clean.

Breakfast was provided each morning. There was a selection of cold cereals, instant oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, pastries and a waffle maker. Coffee was available around the clock.

There were only two things I did not like: (1) The bed pillows -- very small, the size of throw pillows and way too soft. (2) Again I will refer to a previous review regarding the trash removal from the nearby stores. Without fail - every morning we were awakened by the trash removal trucks shaking & slamming the dumpsters. I highly recommend asking for a room on the other side of the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to others staying in the area due to cleanliness and location.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the shopping center dumpsters.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
IMEOW,

Thank you for taking time to share comments. As we are updating out hotel we are in the process of changing the pillows. Also, we are working with the other business for a possible late pickup of the trash.
Franklin
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We arrived several hours before check in and the staff were able to check up in early. Our room was very clean and neat. The bed was comfortable.
We needed directions to the Hanes Mall and the Red Lobster. Not only did we receive directions patiently repeated twice by the manager, but he gave us his phone number in case we got lost!
Breakfast the next morning had one of the best selections of items but the coffee was delicious! We had a meeting in another place and I wished I'd brought a cup of Sleep Inn's coffee with me.
I'd stay here again if I am in this area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Cindy P
Ravenel, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I spent in the weekend in Winston-Salem for the MEAC tornamet and enjoyed my stay at the Sleep Inn Hanes Mall. It was very clean and staff was courteous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Winston-Salem Area. I will stay here the next time my family is this area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lolita S
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I normally stay at another hotel in Winston-Salem but there was a college basketball tournament in town so the room rates were much higher than normal so I had to find something more reasonable so I gave the Sleep Inn a try.

This hotel is convenient to lots of shopping & restaurants and is back off the main roads. It backs up to the backside of a shopping center so I thought it would be quiet and it was till 5:45am the next morning (a Thursday) when the trash man showed up to empty the dumpsters behind the stores in the shopping center. He not only emptied them but he had to shake the devil out of them to make sure he got every last piece of trash. Now obviously, this is no fault of the hotel but you would think that they would give a Platinum Choice Privledges member a room on the other side of the hotel.

The room was pretty clean except for when I dropped my cell phone and reached under the edge of the bed and found a pecan & candy wrapper. On the plus side I did find a quarter! I went to put some drinks in the fridge only to find it not working but later discovered it wasn't plugged in. The exercise room was ok and the equipment was in fair shape. The breakfast room pretty tight from a space standpoint and the selection was ok but not as good as other Sleep Inns I have stayed in.

Overall, I would probably continue to stay at my first choice (Fairfield Inn) when their rate is back to normal but this would be a decent second choice for the money. Just make sure it's not garbage pick up day or either get a room that doesn't back up to the shopping center.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business