“What was I thinking?”

Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“What was I thinking?”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Save yourself...stay somewhere else. I am not sure how I ended up here, but I won't let it happen again! I was attempting to stay near Wake Forest University, and went for location over other details. This property should not be a Marriott. It is tired, dated, and my room smells like a dog (and as evidenced by the previous dog show), I understand why. Yuck!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Janelle R, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for spending the time to write a review. I do appreciate the feedback. We will do our best to address the comments that were provided in this review so that we can continue to improve our service to our customers.

Residence Inn Winston Salem is one of the original styles of the Residence Inn brand, leading to positives as well as potential drawbacks to the design of the hotel. We strive as a hotel to provide a positive experience for every one of our guests and make them feel at home. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

As stated in my message to your account, I would like to learn more about your stay and how we could improve such variables in the future. I would like to make things right.

Janelle Richard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 6-10 times over the past several years. Although the property is dated and somewhat shabby, the rooms are spacious, the facility has a pet-friendly policy, and the location is convenient. My last stay, however, was a huge disappointment. The hotel is clearly in decline, both in facility and service.

Sounds from other rooms, especially footsteps from above, have always been a problem at this hotel. On my last visit, however, this was the least of my concerns. My room was never serviced in the course of a three-day weekend. When I complained to the desk, I was told, "We're an extended stay facility. We don't clean the rooms daily." Later, someone else at the front desk confirmed that this is untrue, as I already knew. In addition, amenities were not working properly, including the tv remote (inoperable) and room card key (worked occasionally, and only with repeated attempts). Complaints to the front desk were either ignored or inadequately addressed. I was given a $10 discount on my room rate, I assumed per night, but when I received my bill, the discount was a total of $10. Another call to the front desk resulted in an additional $10 discount. Even so, I consider this minimal compensation for the inconveniences.

I will not stay in this hotel again. The shabby facility, lack of service, poor response from the management, and problematic amenities far outweigh the good location and spacious rooms. A major renovation of both the facility and attitude of the staff is needed to live up to the Marriott name.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank travelereda
I would like to thank you for spending the time to communicate with us about your recent visit. Honest and open feedback allows us to celebrate when we have success and compels us to focus upon areas where we can improve. I am sorry you experienced a number of issues during your last stay and that this placed a negative impression of our hotel compared to over visits in the past.

Certainly we value and appreciate our returning guests. It is our goal to ensure every guest has a positive stay. Unfortunately, we did not accomplish this in your case. Your comments have been shared with the staff as a training tool to improve communication. As stated in the email I sent to your account, I would like the opportunity of another chance to show you the great service I know we can offer.

Janelle Richard
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stay here recently for a dog show. There were 4 of us sharing the room and for a group this is a perfect setup. The bedrooms are separate with two complete bathrooms (we stayed in the 2 level, 2 bed suite). One person slept on the sofa bed, and honestly, that was barely a step up from sleeping on the floor! It was old and saggy and awful. It wasn't even a comfortable couch to sit on when not a bed. The place is older, an in the need of a renovation, but our room was clean. The kitchen was well stocked and had everything we needed. It's a bit tired, but the room setup is great for groups, and clean.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank tobandals
GAnnie H, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this review, 30 September 2015
Good Afternoon Tobandals - I apologize for your experience, and it has been addressed with the relevant department. Thank you for giving us your feedback and we invite you back to our property when visiting the Winston-Salem area.