“Fantastic!!”

Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed there with my boyfriend for a long weekend a few weeks back and had a WONDERFUL experience!! The property is just adorable, I love the way the buildings are arranged. It's quiet and peaceful and gives off a real neighbor feel. There is a baseball court for a fun workout and a great pool for a swim. We were disappointed that it wasn't open yet but are looking forward going down in a few months and taking a dip. The staff was wonderful, so friendly and helpful. The general manager was so sweet and accommodating, she went above and beyond. I highly recommend this place! :-)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferRenee

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Residence Inn was a great location for a visit to Wake Forest University. The room was listed as a studio, was extremely large and very comfortable for two people. The kitchen was more than adequate, the bathroom area quite large and had all the amenities needed. The bed was very comfortable. Plenty of closet and drawer space. The living area included a large TV and a fireplace. My only complaint was that I could hear the guests in the room above our studio walking around at night and in the morning. Thankfully, they didn't stay up late or wake up too early. Outside in the center of the property is a pool, a BBQ grill and eating area, and a basketball court which was being used for a game of pick up when we checked in. Despite being on the very busy North Point Blvd, traffic noise was not an issue. There are plenty of fast food restaurants in the area - this is a college community! - and there was a large mall across the street and down a block for any shopping needs. But, I have to tip my hat to the front desk staff. After checking out and arriving at our next location about 200 miles away, I realized I'd left some clothes hanging in the closet. I called the front desk which located the items and immediately fedex'd them to my hotel for next day delivery. Much appreciated. If back in the area visiting Wake Forest University or elsewhere, I'll return to the Residence Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a inside facing room, though noise shouldn't be a problem if you face the street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Not a bad hotel but a little old and outdated rooms keys would not work most of the time,they told us we just had to pull hard on the door for them to work. Looked to be in a run down section of town so I guess it fit in. Breakfast was good front desk was so so they tried to help but were normaly busy in the office. Rooms were clean ,noisy air con. units on patio,unlocked door to hot water heater. Overall ok but this property is in desperit need of a remodel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I got a good deal on Priceline on this hotel and had stayed in a nice Residence Inn in Northern VA but this one is not on the same level. Our air conditioning is not working, there are fleas in the room, and they only gave us one bar of soap for the sink and shower. We had to drag our suitcases up several sets of stairs to get to our room. I would not stay here again. Marriott should make sure that all their Residence Inn's have the same level of excellence.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Save yourself...stay somewhere else. I am not sure how I ended up here, but I won't let it happen again! I was attempting to stay near Wake Forest University, and went for location over other details. This property should not be a Marriott. It is tired, dated, and my room smells like a dog (and as evidenced by the previous dog show), I understand why. Yuck!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Janelle R, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Thank you for spending the time to write a review. I do appreciate the feedback. We will do our best to address the comments that were provided in this review so that we can continue to improve our service to our customers.

Residence Inn Winston Salem is one of the original styles of the Residence Inn brand, leading to positives as well as potential drawbacks to the design of the hotel. We strive as a hotel to provide a positive experience for every one of our guests and make them feel at home. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.

As stated in my message to your account, I would like to learn more about your stay and how we could improve such variables in the future. I would like to make things right.

Janelle Richard

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 6-10 times over the past several years. Although the property is dated and somewhat shabby, the rooms are spacious, the facility has a pet-friendly policy, and the location is convenient. My last stay, however, was a huge disappointment. The hotel is clearly in decline, both in facility and service.

Sounds from other rooms, especially footsteps from above, have always been a problem at this hotel. On my last visit, however, this was the least of my concerns. My room was never serviced in the course of a three-day weekend. When I complained to the desk, I was told, "We're an extended stay facility. We don't clean the rooms daily." Later, someone else at the front desk confirmed that this is untrue, as I already knew. In addition, amenities were not working properly, including the tv remote (inoperable) and room card key (worked occasionally, and only with repeated attempts). Complaints to the front desk were either ignored or inadequately addressed. I was given a $10 discount on my room rate, I assumed per night, but when I received my bill, the discount was a total of $10. Another call to the front desk resulted in an additional $10 discount. Even so, I consider this minimal compensation for the inconveniences.

I will not stay in this hotel again. The shabby facility, lack of service, poor response from the management, and problematic amenities far outweigh the good location and spacious rooms. A major renovation of both the facility and attitude of the staff is needed to live up to the Marriott name.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank travelereda

I would like to thank you for spending the time to communicate with us about your recent visit. Honest and open feedback allows us to celebrate when we have success and compels us to focus upon areas where we can improve. I am sorry you experienced a number of issues during your last stay and that this placed a negative impression of our hotel compared to over visits in the past.

Certainly we value and appreciate our returning guests. It is our goal to ensure every guest has a positive stay. Unfortunately, we did not accomplish this in your case. Your comments have been shared with the staff as a training tool to improve communication. As stated in the email I sent to your account, I would like the opportunity of another chance to show you the great service I know we can offer.

Janelle Richard

Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stay here recently for a dog show. There were 4 of us sharing the room and for a group this is a perfect setup. The bedrooms are separate with two complete bathrooms (we stayed in the 2 level, 2 bed suite). One person slept on the sofa bed, and honestly, that was barely a step up from sleeping on the floor! It was old and saggy and awful. It wasn't even a comfortable couch to sit on when not a bed. The place is older, an in the need of a renovation, but our room was clean. The kitchen was well stocked and had everything we needed. It's a bit tired, but the room setup is great for groups, and clean.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank tobandals
GAnnie H, General Manager at Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2015

Good Afternoon Tobandals - I apologize for your experience, and it has been addressed with the relevant department. Thank you for giving us your feedback and we invite you back to our property when visiting the Winston-Salem area.