“Great food…Great Stay…Not so nice Sofabed!”

Residence Inn Winston-Salem University Area
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
“Great food…Great Stay…Not so nice Sofabed!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My family and I arrived at this hotel on our way to the girls Deep South Basketball tournament by way of Michigan. To our surprise, this hotel is located just a few miles away from Wake Forest. The hotel was very nice and clean. The staff was very pleasant. I had more interaction with the friendly staff at the front desk and "The Breakfast Ladies". The breakfast was absolutely AMAZING! My daughter is on a travel basketball team, so we are on the road every other weekend to NC, Chicago, TN, OH, and more from Mar-Jul and we even have a trip to Vegas to play. We KNOW hotels! This place has an outdoor rim that we were able to use just to get some shots up. The weight room was a little small but, we were able to accomplish what we needed to. Some things I did NOT like were the fact that Yellow-jacket bees were EVERYWHERE!!! And the sofa bed was horrid! We usually sleep with my husband and I in the bed and 2 on the sofa bed if we have a single room. This time, three people slept in the bed. I am 6'2, my husband is 6'3 and my daughter is 6'4. My other daughter opted to take one for the team and sleep on the dreadful sofa bed. All in all, GREAT stay and MAJOR KUDOS TO THE BREAKFAST LADIES: THERESA, WANDA AND BETTY! Belgian Waffles with strawberries/blueberries and whip cream, excellent turkey sausage and eggs, red potatoes, parfaits, and much much more!!! Enjoy your stay! There are probably some spelling and grammar mistakes, which i apologize for. We just left breakfast and are now packing to make our way to Raleigh! Wish us luck!

1 Thank Tylar B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We traveled to WS for a special Easter Weekend at Olde Salem, God's Acre and Home Church. Everything at Residence Inn was wonderful. The only problem I noticed, being a hotel employee myself, was our keys expired after one day of a two day stay. We were not asked for positive ID upon reissuing our new keys. This was not a big issue and everything else was excellent. The Breakfast Ladies, Ms Wanda, Ms Theresa and Ms Betty, were truly special. Their upbeat positive service always started out our day perfectly. Thank you for a wonderful and memorable stay. I look forward to our next stay. Thank you.

1 Thank Lowrey F
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at the Residence Inn to attend the Moravian Easter Great Sabbath and Sunrise service in Old Salem. The room was clean and accommodating as one would expect but what made the stay most memorable was the genuine welcome and accommodation from "The Breakfast Ladies", Ms Wanda, Ms Theresa, & Ms Betty. From the moment we went upstairs to the breakfast area and were greeted enthusiastically. We were encouraged to enjoy a substantial breakfast including Ms Betty's home made biscuits and sausage gravy. Ms Wanda offered to make the waffles and bring them to the table and stopped by throughout breakfast to ask if we needed anything. Ms. Theresa made sure no one was neglected as the room filled up. Overall a great example of personal hospitality.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2014

2nd Great trip here. Staff great. Breakfast with Betty an Wanda. Was Excellent. I highly recommend .A must stay.A friendly atmosphere. House keeping speaks while getting out of car. They go the extra mile. I will come back.

• Stayed April 2014
New York, NY, USA
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for just one night while in the area for business. I was by myself and didn't need a large room with kitchen but I wanted to see what the Trip Advisor #1 rated hotel in Winston-Salem looked like. Very nice, as it turns out.

The rooms are in two story buildings arranged on the property like an apartment complex. In the center is a small "sports court" like a small tennis court, for basketball or badminton. A pool is nearby, behind the lobby building. Thk

My room was basically a spacious studio with a full kitchen. I could easily see using it for a long term stay.

A free full breakfast with a hot buffet is served in the main building. The room isn't large but seating capacity seemed to be fine. A real feature of the meal were the ladies who greeted the guests, kept the buffet stocked, and cleaned up. They were very friendly and I saw several guests converse with them as if they were old friends. I could easily see how this hotel could be a home away from home.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
blacksburg, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My family traveled to Winston Salem for a dance competition. I saw the reviews online and everyone spoke of the 'breakfast ladies'. The hotel was set up more as clusters of town homes/suites and we stayed in the penthouse. Very comfortable, very well priced and all the staff we encountered seemed to go out of their way to ensure our comfort or to just say hello. And just like most of the other reviews, the breakfast ladies are truly the BEST!! And the food was delicious!!! Saturday morning was very busy but these angels took it all in stride and kept yummy hot food coming, attended to our needs and they were very engaging to talk with. They certainly started our day out on a very good foot!! Hang on to these ladies...they are your biggest assets!!! Thanks again for a wonderful comfortable restful stay!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the penthouse suite so be prepared for terraced steps.