“Stuck here for a month”

Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd.
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Let me sum up my stay here for you with the first complaint: I found potato chips in my bed sheets, right after they'd been changed. I hadn't eaten any potato chips.

The breakfast: instant grits and oatmeal, packaged muffins, granola bars, and coffee or tea. No place to sit, you have to carry it all to your room, which is a challenge! You try carrying a cup of hot coffee, another cup of hot water for the oatmeal, and a muffin, then getting the key to your room out! But there's no lobby to eat in. Breakfast promptly shuts down at 9:30am, even on weekends. My carpet was full of pet hair, which was getting all over my clothes, until I begged the maid to vacuum. Not something they normally do. The plastic faux wood floor was coming up in the bathroom, the divider separating the kitchen floor (same faux wood) from the carpet was coming off, making a mess with its glue. And the "most idiotic" award goes to whoever put in the fridge. It's against the left wall. The door opens from that wall, with the table also in the way directly in front of the fridge. So, when it's open, everything in the fridge door is facing the wall, and you can't see inside it, because you're blocked by the door and the table. Bare minimum pots & pans, cups, plates and flatware. Like 2 each. Tiny packets of dish washing detergent that you have to ask for. This place is brilliantly creative only in how to skimp! Don't even get me started on the free WiFi! Dial up speed. Don't even bother! I laughed out loud when it offered to double my speed for $4 a day--that would make it 30kb/sec instead of 15!!!! Great! And I love hotels that put in HDTVs and then offer only standard def channels, which look worse than on an old tv.
Sorry to rant but this place really deserves it! A poorly conceived and poorly run hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Loweryourvoice
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room. Please know, I am working with our entire staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast and free Wi-Fi will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, wsh@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a comfortable stay in the future.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

my bf works in road construction so we stay at alot of different hotels. When I found out we were staying here I was excited because it had a kitchen and the ones back home are really nice. When we got there I wasn't excited anymore. I personally thought it was a dump the picture on the site didn't look like our room. It's a pain is you have A lot of luggage to bring up when your 3rd floor because they don't have an elevator so you have to carry or drag everything upstairs. Also our room had an ant problem we were getting ants on nightstand then we started noticing that they were on fridge and counter obviously they didn't clean the room very well because I looked on top of fridge and there was sugar on it and a bunch of ants. We told desk on a Thursday and they put a note in let's just say we lefted on a Monday and nothing was done about it. Also I had to kill 2 stink bugs on the wall and when we were leaving I was checking the drawers to make sure we got everything and there was a stink bug in there. I understand that when you walk out your door your outside but I don't wanna go somewhere and have to kill stink bugs and kill ants everyday. I personally wouldn't stay there unless they did some upgrade and fixed their bug problem. One positive thing was the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Awolfe09
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I was disheartened to read that there was ant problem in your room. Please accept our apologies. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again, my team is checking each room thoroughly after treatment from our pest control vendor to ensure the bug issue is rectified. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I would like to offer you a "Be Our Guest" certificate to say at any of our 684 properties.

Please contact me directly, at wsh2@extendedstay.com to discuss this situation further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I agree with UtahMarty. Staff was pleasant until I went back to the office after entering my room and showed them pictures I had just taken on my phone of the nasty carpet, the hair and spots all on the sheets, the peeling of the walls and floor in the bathroom, the unwiped counters in the kitchenette. But to top things off it was pair of pants in the bottom drawer of the dresser. After seeing all the pictures the young man got quite nasty and said they couldn't do nothing about all that I needed to call customer service. So I did and they offered me a free night of stay that I never recieved.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank S_collins35
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I was disheartened to read that your room was not up to par with our hotel standards. Please accept our apologies. To ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again; my team will ensure that each room is inspected again before being assigned to a guest. I would like to offer you a 'Be Our Guest' certificate for a one night stay at any Extended Stay America in the US.

We continually work to improve our hotel; I truly appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at wsh2@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

The customer service was excellent! Friendly and helpful front desk staff. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Great deal for the money. Good location, close to the mall and several nice restaurants, however having a kitchen and full size fridge made it easy to eat in as well. Free WiFi was a bonus! The room was big and it was obvious it had just been renovated. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone that doesn't require a "high end" hotel, although it is alot nicer than many of the other hotel chains I have stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you had such a great experience during your stay and that you found the room to be clean, comfortable and quiet.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Extended Stay America in Winston Salem, NC is an outstanding value for the money. It is all one needs for a comfortable, relaxing and economical stay. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The free breakfast and coffee is simple and plain, but very good. The coffee is very good.

Room Tip: All rooms in my experience are good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
WSH0370, Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

"I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a ""home away from home"" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

The location was very convenient to shopping at Hanes Mall and nearby stores. And there are some excellent restaurants close by as well which almost made up for the room. Not that it was that bad, just disappointing. I expected a bigger room for some reason, but it did have a kitchenette area for cooking or heating leftovers plus a dining table as well. But the bathroom and sleeping area felt a little cramped. Service was fine and they did have a laundry room for guest's use. But like some other reviews mentioned, there just something about thte building that's a turnoff. It just seems dingy and dirty no matter what.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
WSH0370, Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience here at our property. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest that walks through our doors, which is why we value the honest feedback from our guests. We strive to provide a “home away from home” experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. Again, I would like to thank you for you honest feedback so we can focus our efforts where they are needed.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I really liked the service given to me here at the extended stay. Lisa, especially, is very nice and will make sure your stay is enjoyable. I was able to sleep well, and the TV is better than expected, although the channel lineup isn't that great. The kitchenette is everything you need when you need to stay here for quite a long time. Here is the bad thing...the first few days of my stay, I received a lot of bug bites. I did let them know and they took care of it right away. After that, I did not get anymore bites. If it wasn't for the pleasant service, this rating would have been lower. I was on a budget and this was the best deal I got at the time.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Jamie B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd., responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

"I recently received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

In response to your comments about the pests, we have inspected all rooms and completed any necessary services to ensure that we don't have a repeat of your particular incident in the future. I can assure you that we will continue to maintain strict quality control measures, and would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.