“2nd Time Around, and Twice the Charm!”

Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I swear, this hotel has the best service I have ever, ever seen! Once again, the manager, Chris Owen saw me as I arrived, and made sure my room was ready before check in time. He recognized my family and I from last time, like it was just yesterday.

We came back for my Husbands follow up appt with the Dr over at Wake Forest Baptist, and while I was sad to see some of FD people I come to care for gone, they have some new bright people! Blessing, what a person. He is the most sharp witted person I have ever met, and I cant get over his accent. Very enchanting person!

Managers reception on Wednesday was from Mr Barbecue, and my family and I loved it. It being free is nice of the hotel too! They say they do it ewvery wed to appreciate their guests. I have not seen any other hotel do this, so this quite impresses me!

Thanks again for great stay, and keep up the good work!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West

Reviewed 10 October 2010

My major complaint about this hotel is the back door not opening especially at night. I attempted to use my room key several times and with no luck the door did not open. On top of that he entrance to get to the back door is spooky!!!! I have teenage daughters and safety is my main concern. If someone were to follow them to the door they would have no way to run away. This is really concerns me. We had to walk all the way around the building to get inside with very little lighting. If you have kids I would not recommend staying here

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
OwenC2, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

To our Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for sharing your comments on this site. We are always looking to make our hotel better and safe. We take great pride in our excellent service, and award winning product. I am very concerned about your comments, and I will look further into this. We certainly want to make sure everything is working properly, and our building is properly alluminated.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention

Reviewed 10 October 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for a wedding in Winston-Salem. The staff was great when I I checked in and the room seem to be fine. I soon realized thta the room did not have a smoke alarm and mold was all on the wall. I spoke with the front desk manager about the rooms issues. She quickly took action and offered me another room. But before I could change rooms, I rudely was approached my the General Manager- Chris Owen. He told me I could not move rooms because he needed to sell the other. He did not care he sold me a room with mold growing all on the bathroom walls nor if I had a smoke alarm. He was very unprofessional. I do not know the owners of the hotel but they need a new general manager. Needless to say, I checked out and will never stay there again. The hotel need a new General Manager that cares about their guest not just a dollar.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your recent stay with us, and thank you for expressing your comments here on this site. I am very saddened to hear that I personally let you down during your stay. We were not able to move you to another room, as we were booked to capacity, there was simply not a room to move you to. I did give you other options, but you said you would stay where you are

Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel needs a face-lift. Bed was noisy with every move. Some of the staff - was aloof and rude - others were accommodating,,, weird.

Breakfast staff were pleasant.

Front desk - needs improvement. Managers business cards are hidden - watch a place that does that - in my platinum opinion.

2 days out of 4 - no refreshment of soap / shampoos / etc...

Sometimes things are not quite the Blessing you think they can be!

Trash over flowing outside the front entrance - trash on the driveway entrace - daily.

I give this property 5 out of 10.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
OwenC2, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2010

Mr. David,

I personally would like to thank you on 2 accounts. #1 for your recent stay with us, and secondly, for posting review on tripadvisor. We welcome all reviews, and thank you on both accounts.

I was saddened to hear about your experience with us, and I was disappointed you did not ask for me while you were hear to share your experience. I do not want any guest walking away feeling that they did not enjoy their stay, and if there was something wrong, and we did not fix it, we certainly do not expect you to pay. That simple

You had mentioned about my business cards. Holiday Inns proudly promotes a clutter free counters, and special dynamic appearing Guest Reception counter, as part of our incredible IHG Relaunch of all of our hotels. It is certainly not meant to hide my cards, but simply leaving it on the side..

I only hope you give us a 2nd chance next time your in Winston Salem, I know by our excellence rating on our brand web site, 3 star AAA approved, and many wonderful reviews on this site, you cannot go wrong

Thanks,

Reviewed 30 September 2010

Each year, our company travels to Winston-Salem. For many years, we booked rooms at a different hotel. For the past three years, we have booked rooms at this hotel - and we are extremely pleased. The hotel is clean, rooms are comfortable and upgraded, staff is helpful. It is conveniently located with grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, and shopping nearby. Chris Owen continues to be the most accomodating person I have ever worked with!!! They have a manager's reception nightly with light food from local restaurants, beer, and wine - good way to unwind. Breakfast is plentiful with multiple nutritional options available. Very safe hotel for female travelers!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Christine, the breakfast host went above & beyond the call of duty. She was very efficient and personable. She is an asset to your establishment.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
OwenC2, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

I would like to thank you for your kind comments, and posting it on this site, and as well as thank you for your recent stay with us. At our hotel, we realize a complimentary hot breakfast is an important part of your stay, and we are truly lucky to have such a great breakfast hostess and great food to start off your stay

Thanks again,
Chris owen

Reviewed 9 September 2010

This is our 4th or 5th stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The rooms are well appointed, clean, and a good value for the money. We love the breakfast buffet because it has something for everyone. The staff is very courteous and pleasant. Christine, who works in the buffet breakfast area, actually came up and helped us clear our table, wanting to know if we needed anything else. Such a surprise coming from a hotel with limited staff. The maid service was also very good. They actually all came across as ones who really enjoyed doing their job. We will come back, we always do.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple