“first visit”

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Was nice hotel although there were water problems when we checked in and the pool was closed staff seemed friendly. They did have a lack of staff on Saturday morning for the breakfast buffet which was surprising since they knew they had several events going on that weekend and I would have expected them to be prepared I actually waited about 25 minutes and the bill never came so I had to tell the hostess to put the charge on my room. The bell staff was Great that was the best of the trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your business! I apologize that your stay did conincide with the time we were working on the hotel plumbing and staffing levels in the restaurant were lower than scheduled. We strive to provide all our guests an excellent experience, and I am very sorry that we were unable to do that in your case. I sincerely hope that you will have an opportunity to try us again so that we can provide our usual outstanding service. I was very please to see that you had a positive experience with our bell staff and will certainly pass on your compliments to the team!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Don't get me wrong. The Marriott is a great hotel, a fabulous place to have a convention. There are enough places around the downtown area that you can find something to eat and you don't have to drive very far, if you want something different. I enjoyed hanging out at the bar, nice and open, and you have to be blind if you can't find it. The conference-level rooms were perfect. Our room was pretty nice, too. The beds were very comfortable, sort of like those $2000 mattresses that Macy's sells. We had to stay in a handicapped bathroom because they had run out of doubles. That was fine...until we found a visitor crawling on the bathroom wall. Now it looked like a roach to me or at least a member of the roach family. Either way, I didn't care. That quickly brought this hotel down to three stars for me. Anything that's not paying for the room and not invited, shouldn't be breathing the same air I breathe in there. Sorry, but bugs are a huge no. I'd like to say what I really feel about that, but I don't want TripAdvisor to ban me from the site. And if that wasn't enough, the following night, I guess, Mrs. Roach decided to go find her husband because her creepy-crawly behind was found in the shower. I was on the alert for the rest of the Roach family in case they mounted a search and rescue for their beloved family members. Most hotels would've been downgraded to a two, if not less stars after that. The only reason why I leave it at three is because the Marriott is a really snazzy hotel. Starbucks is a sky-walk away. The pool was really nice because it had great sky lighting and it wasn't diving-school deep. Overall, I would stay there again, but not without a can of bug spray that the hotel staff had better be providing. Oh, and before I forget, there's another reason why this hotel isn't losing a star. His name is Bobby. If you want to feel welcomed, ask for him. His attitude was infectious and exactly what I needed after what felt like a long drive to Winston Salem. Overall, the Marriott staff was very friendly, but Bobby was exceptional! He has a lot of pride in his work and it shows. I bet if I had mentioned the roach incident to him, he would've gone out of his way to find us a can of bug spray, if not more. If the Marriott is looking for nominees as Employee of the Year, you might want to put his name in the running.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 505 unless you don't mind eight-legged friends.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write TripAdvisor about your recent stay and for your many positive comments about our hotel and the staff--I will certainly pass on your comments to our team.

I was very distressed to learn of your unfortunate experience of finding insects in the room. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take this issue very serious and have taken the appropriate actions to eliminate these pests.

In the rare instance where insects are detected, our protocols call for, among other steps, the immediate removal of the guest room from inventory and all adjoining rooms and the engaging of a pest elimination expert. The rooms are not returned to inventory until the pest elimination expert and hotel management are confident the problem has been eliminated. We are under a national contract with a well-known pest elimination company who services and inspects our hotel on a monthly and as needed schedule. Marriott has one of the most comprehensive training programs for employees including how to perform routine inspections and actions plans to undertake once a pest is identified.

Again, thank you for your business. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent several days at the downtown Marriott. The staff is very friendly; if someone sees you, they usually say hello. The rooms are very comfortable, and the breakfast buffet at the restaurant is quite good (about $17 with tax). The front desk offered me a free upgrade, with complimentary access to the concierge lounge on the 17th floor (the breakfast and dessert offerings hit the spot). The hotel is close to a number of great restaurants, with a lot of people. If you're staying in Winston-Salem, the downtown Marriott is the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BertDC
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your very kind comments! As you mentioned, our location is one of the best in the city--only steps from Fourth Street (Restaurant Row) which offers everything from seafood, continental cuisine, subs, pizza and micro breweries! If you didn't get a chance to visit Trade Street (just behind the Marriott), please take the opportunity during your next visit--fantastic galleries offer unique shopping opportunities can be found all along the street.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

So, the good: friendly front desk and valet staff, plentiful and good breakfasts, reasonably comfortable rooms, and the ability to accommodate last minute Marriott certificates. The bad, rooms not as promised, only two of three lifts work, no real recognition of status, concierge lounge not open on weekends at all and not early on week days, pool unventilated so hot and pool has far too much chlorine. I would not say to avoid, but know what you're getting into. If nothing else, you will get a friendly goodbye from the bell staff - the only real highlight of our stay,

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Theron T
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We sincerely appriecate your comments. I'm very happy to see that we were able to accommodate your Marriott certificates at the last minute and that you found our breakfast a positive experience. Our breakfast buffet is unsurpassed and we consistantly receive rave reviews for our omelet chef! As you mentioned, our elevators are undergoing renovation and one cab currently is down for refurbishment--this project should be complete soon. I'll certainly mention your concern regarding the pool's chlorine levels to our engineering team to insure we're compliant. Again, thank you for your business.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I'm a very dissatisfied customer. When we checked in the A/C was broken in our room. An engineer was sent up and we were told the problem was fixed. After getting ready for a rehearsal dinner in the heat we left under the impression that the air was fixed. When we returned late that evening we found out quickly it was not. And so the nightmare begins...

The night manager, Kedrick Sprinkle, did give me extra points but refused to find us another room or call an engineer out in the middle of the night. He was EXTREMELY rude and not interested in helping. The front desk agent, Sean Grady, overhearing the conversation found us a room and helped us move our stuff against orders from his boss. Apparently he actually got in trouble for helping us! This night manager should be relieved of his position immediately. On top of this, the following night we were refused service at the hotel bar after the wedding we attended. Once again this was done very rudely by the bartender named Tripp.

The property itself was ok other than the A/C. The rooms were clean and reasonably well appointed. Parking was a little steep for a town this size at $26 per day. Not a bad option other than the service, however, If I'm ever back in Winston Salem my money will not be going to this arrogant, incompetent, and rude property management staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Benjamin E
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I was very disappointed to hear of your recent experience. Our goal is to provide excellent accommodations and service for every guest--unfortunately, we failed to meet our goal with your stay. Please accept my sincere apology. We will certainly use this review as a training opportunity with our team.

I should mention that our standard valet charge is $15 per day, rather than the $26 that you mention in your comments. Please contact me through the hotel's direct number if you were charged incorrectly.

I sincerely hope that if your travels include Winston-Salem in the future, you'll give us an opportunity to show that your recent stay was an exception and not our usual standard of service. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel has completed a huge renovation and it shows. The staff was very nice particularly the valet/bellmen. Room is spacious and beds are divine! Shower was good, really like the new shower heads.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We are so glad that you like our renovation. We've tried to make the hotel more like home for everyone, and it seems that we've succeeded. I hope that you also tried our new restaurant--GRAZE. We're receiving great reviews on the new concept and the new menus.

Thank you for your business! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed for two nights as of June 20th. I must say we were treated like royalty. All the staff we encountered were extremely and over the top nice and attentive. You could tell the staff enjoy the job (if not, they are really good actors). The rooms were clean and there was enough room in a 2 queen bed room for four people (2 adults and 2 children). If you need to apply makeup in the room, the lighting is horrendous. There is a fridge in the room, but no microwave. But there is a microwave in the lobby. The pool is on the 3rd floor and it only goes up to 4 feet, which is perfect for kids. Nothing spectacular about the pool, just a square water hole, but there was plenty of seating around and it was clean. There is a small sun deck off from the pool. Surprisingly, as packed as the hotel was, the elevators were pretty quick and we had no issues with slow elevators at the hotel.

The only thing I didn’t like about the hotel is the parking and loading/unloading. If you don’t want valet, the 5 level parking garage is across the street and it was under construction and it was little cumbersome and time consuming. The parking garage was free. The elevator in the parking garage is slow and hot! The unloading in front of the hotel is EXTREMELY tight. There are bell-hops there to assistance unpack your car and take it to your room, so be prepared to tip. I wanted to unload myself, but you can’t have a cart the bell-hops have to do it. It was difficult to find someone with a cart, but it was a little busy.

There are plenty of restaurants within the area that are walking distance. There is a restaurant in the hotel, but we didn’t try it. If you are into night-life, there is plenty of clubs to walk to from the hotel.

I’m not sure if I would stay at the hotel again simply because it isn’t in a family friendly location – perfect for adults. It’s a great place for business trips, girls weekend, weddings, etc.

One more complaint - the pillows are horrible and lumpy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted that our team made you feel special. Hopefully during your next visit you'll have time to visit GRAZE, our new signature restaurant. We're getting rave reviews on the food and service from everyone who has tried it.

I'd also mention that we do have microwaves that you can request for your room should you have a need for one during your next visit. When you return, please let us know and we'll make certain to have pillows for you that are more your preference.

Again, thank you for your business!