“Average room, questionable service, lock your belongings!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Winston-Salem Marriott

Winston-Salem Marriott
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
New York
“Average room, questionable service, lock your belongings!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

As a business guest and Marriott rewards member, I have happily stayed here before however this trip felt like I was entering the twilight zone. Although the check-in process was excellent and the room was very comfortable, there were multiple incidents that led to my 2 star review. First of all, I am convinced a member of the staff had a hay-day in my closet! Coming back from my client site, to find my dresses rearranged and my favorite pair of dress sandals had been STRETCHED OUT to the point that they're now falling off my feet! That, coupled with some bad math on a dry cleaning bill that had two staff members scratching their heads for a couple of minutes, but not offering 'on-the-spot' correcting at the front desk (ie 14+7=21, not $29), to the final straw - sitting in the bar, facing/watching two bar staff for 15min, before having to approach the bar for service! The icing on the cake - they had acknowledged that I was the person on the ESPN-logo'd laptop thus proving my point that they saw me but decided not to provide me service. This lack of service was only validated during a business breakfast, where it took our waitress 25min to bring my clients two fruit platters. Completely unacceptable. I hope management works on the service provided in their facility as everything else is pretty top-notch (room service staff are great!) As for your belongings, ladies - keep them locked up! Clothes/shoes included.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BizTraveler789

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Union, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I just stayed here this past weekend and were very impressed with the service we received and the cleanliness of the entire hotel. As smokers what we really enjoyed was the patio furniture out front to allow guests to sit and socialize and smoke if you are a smoker. This hotel was right downtown within easy walking distance to the arts venues. Each saturday night from 5pm - 11pm the streets are turned into a music and arts show which is all close by.We highly recommend this hotel and will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Get a high room, the views are awesome of downtown.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your comments! As you mentioned, the Marriott's location is very convenient to shopping and dining. We're just steps away from Winston-Salem's "Restaurant Row", located on Fourth Street, and just behind the hotel is the Trade Street Gallery area--which offers a unique shopping venue.

Thank you for your business! We hope you'll be back with us soon.
Kernersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Marriott Winston-Salem excels in customer service. Upon entering the lobby, I was greeted SEVEN (yes 7) times before I reached the elevator. The valet service is professional, the registration was seamless, I cannot say enough about the welcoming, Southern hospitality that this hotel exemplifies. The food in the restaurant was excellent. They had recently changed to a bkfst/lunch service. I was disappointed that there was no dinner, but there are many nice bars and bistros, and upscale restaurants within a couple of blocks. The area is very vibrant, and I felt safe walking along Fourth street (single female), as there were lots of people enjoying the evening. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so happy that we were able to "WOW" you with our customer service! I'll make certain to pass on your comments to each of the departments you mentioned. We do offer dinner in Graze, the Marriott's new signature restaurant, and I hope during your next visit you'll have an opportunity to try us--Chef Richard and his team are receiving rave reviews!

Thank you again for your kind comments and your business!
Granite Falls, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Arrived with my mobility chair in tow. Was greeted by "Zac" he immediately unloaded my chair for me. Those working with him were gracious and courteous. "James" took my luggage and helped get my and my granddaughter settled in our room...he was extremely nice. All the staff were considerate of my needs! Check out was a breeze. "Zac" and his co-workers once again exhibited excellent customer service as they loaded and secured my mobility chair. Thank you Marriott staff for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments! I will make sure to pass on your comments to both Zac and James! Our goal is to provide excellent customer service for every guest and I am so happy to hear that we achieved our goal in your case!

We sincerely appreciate your business and hope to serve you again soon.
SW Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

A business trip sent me to this hotel in Winston-Salem, NC, which was the first time for both.

Public parking garage is across the street from the hotel. A skywalk attaches the hotel to the garage. I thought it was affordable for 2 nights.

The staff was welcoming and friendly when I arrived. I met the general manager and he was friendly, polite and most of all - genuine. The room was in excellent condition. No chipped paint or dings in the walls. Bathroom easily passed my "bare feet" test. (Are you comfortable in this bathroom with bare feet?)

The bed was comfortable. Just fine. Air conditioning did make a hum, but I didn't think it was annoying. But, I'm the kind of person who can fall asleep to light, constant noises like that. No other noises heard during the nights.

I did not use the pool or exercise room. I did not use the restaurant. The hostesses at the entrance always said hi, though. There is something about Southern hospitality.

The hotel is a short walk from a variety of bars, restaurants and night life.

My entire stay was wonderful. If I'm back in Winston-Salem, and I hope I am some day, I will stay here. Great place!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your business! Our team's goal is to provide an excellent experience for every guest--I am delighted to hear that we accomplished our goal! As you mentioned, the hotel's location is just a short distance from Winston-Salem's "Restaurant Row" downtown. We consistantly receive great comments regarding the variety and quality of food found downtown.

I sincerely hope that if when your travel plans include Winston-Salem, you'll give us the opportunity to host you again--and please give Graze, our new signature restaurant a try. Chef Richard is getting rave reviews!
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Was nice hotel although there were water problems when we checked in and the pool was closed staff seemed friendly. They did have a lack of staff on Saturday morning for the breakfast buffet which was surprising since they knew they had several events going on that weekend and I would have expected them to be prepared I actually waited about 25 minutes and the bill never came so I had to tell the hostess to put the charge on my room. The bell staff was Great that was the best of the trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your business! I apologize that your stay did conincide with the time we were working on the hotel plumbing and staffing levels in the restaurant were lower than scheduled. We strive to provide all our guests an excellent experience, and I am very sorry that we were unable to do that in your case. I sincerely hope that you will have an opportunity to try us again so that we can provide our usual outstanding service. I was very please to see that you had a positive experience with our bell staff and will certainly pass on your compliments to the team!
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Don't get me wrong. The Marriott is a great hotel, a fabulous place to have a convention. There are enough places around the downtown area that you can find something to eat and you don't have to drive very far, if you want something different. I enjoyed hanging out at the bar, nice and open, and you have to be blind if you can't find it. The conference-level rooms were perfect. Our room was pretty nice, too. The beds were very comfortable, sort of like those $2000 mattresses that Macy's sells. We had to stay in a handicapped bathroom because they had run out of doubles. That was fine...until we found a visitor crawling on the bathroom wall. Now it looked like a roach to me or at least a member of the roach family. Either way, I didn't care. That quickly brought this hotel down to three stars for me. Anything that's not paying for the room and not invited, shouldn't be breathing the same air I breathe in there. Sorry, but bugs are a huge no. I'd like to say what I really feel about that, but I don't want TripAdvisor to ban me from the site. And if that wasn't enough, the following night, I guess, Mrs. Roach decided to go find her husband because her creepy-crawly behind was found in the shower. I was on the alert for the rest of the Roach family in case they mounted a search and rescue for their beloved family members. Most hotels would've been downgraded to a two, if not less stars after that. The only reason why I leave it at three is because the Marriott is a really snazzy hotel. Starbucks is a sky-walk away. The pool was really nice because it had great sky lighting and it wasn't diving-school deep. Overall, I would stay there again, but not without a can of bug spray that the hotel staff had better be providing. Oh, and before I forget, there's another reason why this hotel isn't losing a star. His name is Bobby. If you want to feel welcomed, ask for him. His attitude was infectious and exactly what I needed after what felt like a long drive to Winston Salem. Overall, the Marriott staff was very friendly, but Bobby was exceptional! He has a lot of pride in his work and it shows. I bet if I had mentioned the roach incident to him, he would've gone out of his way to find us a can of bug spray, if not more. If the Marriott is looking for nominees as Employee of the Year, you might want to put his name in the running.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 505 unless you don't mind eight-legged friends.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ron S, Director of Sales at Winston-Salem Marriott, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write TripAdvisor about your recent stay and for your many positive comments about our hotel and the staff--I will certainly pass on your comments to our team.

I was very distressed to learn of your unfortunate experience of finding insects in the room. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take this issue very serious and have taken the appropriate actions to eliminate these pests.

In the rare instance where insects are detected, our protocols call for, among other steps, the immediate removal of the guest room from inventory and all adjoining rooms and the engaging of a pest elimination expert. The rooms are not returned to inventory until the pest elimination expert and hotel management are confident the problem has been eliminated. We are under a national contract with a well-known pest elimination company who services and inspects our hotel on a monthly and as needed schedule. Marriott has one of the most comprehensive training programs for employees including how to perform routine inspections and actions plans to undertake once a pest is identified.

Again, thank you for your business. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.