“Great place and staff are really fantastic”

Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is an older hotel that has been very remodeled. I cannot say enough good things about our stay there. The place was pretty full due to a number of things going on in the city, but they got us in at the last minute due to a death in the family. The rooms were clean and quiet, as was the hotel. It is a few blocks from downtown (4th, 5th and 6th streets) dining and entertainment, which were pretty lively during the 4 days we were there. It is also a few blocks (very short walk) from Old Salem, which is also great if you are simply in town on tourism or want a good dose of colonial history.

The staff were incredibly attentive and compassionate. I honestly cannot say enough nice things about them, Karyn the desk manager was so, so nice, I would have given her a hug at the end of our stay if I could have (she wasnt working).

Premises wise, the lobby was very clean, and the parking was well lit, and ample. We didnt use the gym or the pool while there, we didnt have time, but both seemed nice. The lobby hooks into what seemed to be a nice restaurant which we also didnt get to try, but seemed popular enough with those staying there. I didnt try the wifi but it is available. All the plugs and AC worked well in our room, and the bathroom was modern and clean. I would definitely stay here again and recommend anyone considering a sojourn in Winston-Salem think about staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I recently visited Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. My hosts put me up in the Hawthorne Inn for two nights. The hotel was clean and comfortable and was adequate for my needs. However, this is not a "high-end" hotel. The room was a standard twin double format with the typical layout. The bathroom was meager and the supplies were substandard, including towels that were thin and limited complimentary soap and shampoo. The TV did not get many channels and was not Hi-Def. The coffee in the room was not very good, but the complimentary breakfast was nice with decent coffee and a buffet with a variety (but not a wide variety) of items. My other complaint was that the sleeping rooms were only accessible by walking down a long corridor, down a flight of stairs, and then up an elevator that was at the very end. It was quite a number of steps to get to and from my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator, but not too near to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank yajiprof
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Our power was out and most local hotels were filling up fast. I called Hawthorne Inn because I knew they had an onsite restaurant and they had a King room and a King suite. I booked the 2-room suite for my family of 3 and we were not disappointed. The room was very clean and a perfect escape from our cold - and getting colder - house. The hotel appeared to be booked solid and I have never seen such a patient and pleasant staff. We had to wait for housekeeping to finish the cleaning the room but it was well worth it. The complimentary breakfast was good. I liked the fact that the staff provided waffles upon request because I didn't have to look at the mess that comes with the do-it-yourself waffle makers that most hotels provide. Pleasant one-night stay.

Room Tip: The king suites have two rooms. The sitting area has a sofa bed and a kitchen area with a dorm size...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We did not come for a fun trip. My husband had a medical procedure at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital. I have to tell you that you have a gem in Deborah, who first took my reservations and then when we got to the hotel and we met her, she was wonderful. Answered all our questions and remembered our names when we left. She was just awesome!
The shuttles to and from the hospital were a godsend to us, since we have never been to Winston-Salem.
The staff in the dining room were also A+. Even though this trip was not for enjoyment, it exceeded our expectations. I did stop by the executive offices and told the woman in there what a great hotel and staff they have.
Please give our best to Deborah at the front desk.

Anne & Angelo Lorusso

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights snowed in and was very happy with the room although the heat was not as hot as I would have liked it. Sink stopped didn't work but once reported maintenance was quick to repair. Enjoyed a club sandwich and wings one night at their onsite restaurant second night I enjoyed one of the best grilled shrimp Cesar salads I have ever had

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have been staying at the Hawthorne Inn since the mid 1990's and have always found the staff and accomodations do be relaxing. The Hawthorne Inn is a great place to stay at a very reasonable price in the downtown W-S area. All of the staff are great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 February 2014

If you ever find yourself snowbound in Winston-Salem as I did during the recent heavy snow storm blanketing North Carolina, The Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center is the perfect place to be. Not only was my guest room exceptionally clean, comfortable and reasonably priced, I was blessed with a selection of very delectable meals conveniently served in their onsite Bayberry Bistro. This was a special bonus as all other eating establishments in the area were closed due to the inclement weather. Most impressive was the friendly atmosphere. Even though the Inn was slam packed with stranded motorists and people in need of a place to stay, the staff provided impeccable service! They remained calm and were extremely attentive to each guest's needs. Due to some of the Inn's staff members inability to make it in to work, the Bayberry Bistro wait staff worked double shifts and still managed to maintain their composure and positive attitudes. In addition, snow removal on steps, sidewalks and parking lot were immediately addressed. Needless to say, I enjoyed my time spent at the Hawthorne Inn.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo