“Perfect location makes this a great choice”

Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Perfect location makes this a great choice”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Like Justin C, I was here for the vintage BMW show and primarily stayed here for the convenience of staying in the "host" hotel. I checked in a bit before check in time and found that my room was not ready, but the staff remedied that little glitch quickly by moving me down the hall. The staff was very friendly and accommodating during my entire stay and genuinely interested in ensuring that everything was right for the weekend. The continental breakfast turned out to be a full American hot buffet and while not the best I've ever had, it was certainly good enough. A huge plus for the Hawthorne is that it's an easy walk to downtown and very convenient to old Salem where the car show was held. All in all, a very good choice for WS.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in town for Wake Forest graduation and needed a nice central location to stay. The Hawthorne fit the bill. Although this may not be the most modern facility, it was certainly not lacking in anything that we needed for this long 4-day 3-night weekend. We stayed in a suite to accommodate our son who was traveling with us. This allowed all of us to have our privacy and plenty of space. The refrigerators came in handy. The beds were extremely comfortable and we all felt rested upon awakening each morning. The location is perfect for travel to Wake Forest, and for sightseeing in Old Salem and the downtown area. The breakfast buffet was not huge by any stretch - eggs, breakfast meat (changed by the day), fresh fruit, pastries and cereal - along with coffee and juices. It was a quick in-and-out, self-serve breakfast which is perfect when you are on the go. The eggs were especially tasty! Parking was no issue and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The on-site laundromat came in handy - this is not a feature that I normally do not need to use when traveling, but was very grateful that it was there when I needed it. This was a pleasant trip with no issues or complications.
A heads-up for Wake Forest parents - we booked this in January through Expedia before we were aware that WF had reserved a block of rooms for graduation. By doing this, we missed out on the discounted rate that the Hawthorne offered for graduation guests.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Knoxvill
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Came to Winston-Salem for the Vintage 2014 BMW car show over the weekend. Rooms had been updated, quite, and comfy and I slept very well. Staff was very polite and attentive. The location is a few blocks away from Fourth Street as well as close to Old Salem where the show was being held. The pool was clean and had been opened early for our stay. Since I ended up booking late, the BMW block rate for the second night of our stay was all taken up and was going to pay full price for the room. Not a big deal at all, but the fantastic part was when I received my bill, the rate was included and had been deducted from my final bill without ever inquiring if I could have the rate for the second night. Will be staying here again for next years show!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have a need for recurring medical care at North Carolina Baptist Wake Forest Medical Center and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else but the Hawthorne Inn. It's owned by Wake Forest but operated as a commercial hotel. The location is right off I-40 and a 7 minute free shuttle ride to and from the Medical Center. It seems it's been renovated and updated since my last visit and is in excellent and tasteful condition. My room and the common areas were immaculate - hospital standards. I had dinner in the restaurant and would rate it as good. Perhaps a tad pricey for the fare but certainly OK. There are alternatives as it's right in Winston-Salem. Be sure to tell them you're a Wake Forest patient and get the deeply discounted rate on rooms. But it's an excellent choice even if you pay the full fare when in the Winston area. It's also ajacent to Old Salem if you have some free time. BTW the included breakfast is superb.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed one night at The Hawthorne and was impressed with the staff, cleanliness and rooms for the price. Decided to come back and stay another, what a delight to see the same staff on duty who also remembered us and gave us an upgrade! Love this place and would recommend highly. The free breakfast in the morning was great since we did not need to go somewhere else and it had waffles made fresh, eggs, bagels, coffee, tea, juice, etc.AND the bed was so comfortable I slept soundly and did not awaken to any noise.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
NEW WINDSOR
Reviewed 4 May 2014

For a hotel owned by a hospital I might have expected a better thought out plan for Handicapped Folks. To start with there is a very small (make that one parking space) area in the rear of the hotel for on-the-level unloading and loading of cars. Next to the unloading area are only 4 handicapped parking spaces. If the loading area is blocked and parked you at the mercy of dozen steps up from the rear parking lot. Now it that is not bad enough there is a long hallway from the Guest Room Tower to the part of the hotel with the meeting rooms and dining room. In the middle of the hallway is another set of 7 steps. Now to be fair there is a wheel chair lift, but one has to push a button and wait for someone to operated the lift. I wonder if the management has any idea how humiliating that procedure is?
When I made my reservation for my Navy Ship Reunion I made it plain to the clerk I am handicapped. My room was the farthest away from the lobby. #227. So, I got to walk. Now I can use the exercise but. Also, if you care to take a swim in their outdoor pool. There are at least 2 dozen steps down to the pool.
I did enjoy the reunion. the facilities are nice, clean and so was the room quiet and a nice nights sleep. I was tired from all the extra walking and steps.
Just a word about the complimentary breakfast. Folks. Cold Coffee and powdered eggs just don't cut it, but thanks for the fresh fruit and yogurt. This was our 13th Navy Ship reunion and I guess that made it an unlucky number and selection.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking or use a wheel chair. look elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JAMES L
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I was in town for a medical procedure, and was booked into this hotel for two days. The front desk had helpful, friendly people, and a very pretty lobby. The room was almost homey it was so comfortable. The bed. Ooooooh the super comfy bed!!!! Best sleep ever! Even with the discomfort in my hips after donating marrow, The comfy mattress did not put any pressure on my wound sites, and I slept well. I wish I knew what kind of a mattress it is because I would run out and buy one today! The food from the bistro was amazing!!! Fresh, and with good service. The only thing I can pick at is that my baked potato was hard, the way it gets when it is reheated. That was so minor that it didn't ruin a thing! We have decided that we will be staying there when we take our boys to a baseball game!

Stayed April 2014