“Great place especially if you're at the wfubmc (hospital)”

Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
North Carolina
“Great place especially if you're at the wfubmc (hospital)”
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Our room was large and spotless with comfortable beds and climate control. Room service was just average and overpriced but that's to be expected w/room service. The big complaint I have is that you don't really enter the hotel through the "entrance". After pulling up to the front and registering you pull around to the back and bring luggage into what I can't describe as a lobby but a plain elevator landing. It feels like they merged two adjacent buildings to form an ungainly whole. Still, I'd still recommend it as long as you can deal with the peculiar logistics.

Some reviews have complained about cleanliness but ours was great. We had a handicapped room and since we were going to the hospital we may have gotten a preferred accommodation but I'm not sure. I believe it is owned by the hospital.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank dmaxdmax

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Rockville, VA
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Stayed here while visiting the Dixie Classic Fair and suited my needs perfectly. Close to fair as well as close to highway. Clean rooms and friendly staff. They offered a special rate for fairgoers which was very reasonable. Restaurant in hotel was convenient and food was good.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank sawyerfan_rockville
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I was not pleased with my recent visit to the Hawthorne Inn. The towels and linens are thin and cheap. They did not clean our room on Saturday (DND was not left on the door) and when I called them to complain late that evening the man was unapolegetic and actually tried to blame it on me! He sent someone up with two towels and a set of sheets. When I called back and said I needed another set and some TP he got even more of an attitude with me. I will not be staying there again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank wal27
Upstate N.Y.
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Stayed 3 nights here due it's proximity to the hospital where my niece was being attended to. Room was small, but clean. In room safe in the closet was the weight of a breadbasket, could have easily been removed under an arm- was not attached to anything. Continental breakfast wasn't bad, more offerings than some, and the person in charge ensured it remained clean and well-stocked. The main restaurant was awful. The alfredo pasta bowl had less flavor than the canned mac and cheeze I ate as a kid, and was even more mushy. The burger was overcooked because they only cook burgers well done. The chef, I use the term lightly, yelled at the server, who was actually pleasant, for relaying my request for avacado, which they didn't have. The slaw was finely ground. I didn't know you could screw up cole slaw. If you need to stay close to the hospital, this place will serve a purpose. But bring a sandwich, and leave your valuables.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We stayed for two nights for a discounted wedding rate. For that rate it wasn't bad, but I would not pay full price for what we got. Despite some nice artwork in the lobby, other parts of the hotel seemed to be showing its age. Thin walls and doors mean you hear what's going on in other rooms and in the hallway. The elevators were tiny. I was okay on our bed but my wife couldn't stand it and ended up first in a chair and then on the floor with a comforter. The complimentary hot breakfast is nice but the room was packed. Some extra seating nearby would have been nice. Keep in mind also that if you're traveling here from I-40 the turnoff is really quick -- blink or try to adjust to other merging vehicles and you might miss it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We used the Hawthorne Inn for our daughters wedding and reception. We booked the hospitality suite which accomodated all of our needs. There was 6 that stayed in the room and it was plenty of room for all. The room was clean and very spacious.

We were allowed to decorate the night before and the staff was very accomodating and very friendly and meet all of our needs.

The day of the wedding, the staff was great. We had a sit down luncheon and the food was great. All of our guests complimented the food, coffee and tea. The only thing I would not spent the extra on is the punch. Everything else was exceptional. It was a perfect place for the private cermony and then the extened luncheon. We use the Sycamore I and II rooms which were great. I would recommend this hotel for all events.

• Stayed April 2010
NC
Reviewed 13 January 2010

My family and I stayed at Hawthorne January 11, 2010 to take my mother to a surgery consult at Baptist Medical Center. I read reviews here and almost did not stay at Hawthorne. I called and talked to an employee and told them how horrible the reviews were here. They suggested I try other travel sites for reviews where customers had to pay for their room and there was actual proof they had been there. I did, and the reviews are much better on two other sites (don't know if I can mention names here). So, we took a chance, and we had a good experience. Staff is friendly and very helpful. The hotel is older but the rooms have been updated somewhat. It is basically a clean, comfortable place to stay for a reasonable rate, which is all we asked for. The free breakfast in the morning is awesome! Bacon and eggs, waffles, toast, bagels, hot or cold cereal, juices, fruit. We may have to be back in Winston-Salem again in March and we will definitely stay at Hawthorne.

Another plus for me is that I had work to do while I traveled, and the room we were given had a separate bedroom, living area with a nice large workstation, and wireless Internet access was easy and gave a reliable connection.

I would suggest that if you have any desire to stay at Hawthorne, but have read the awful reviews here, call them. Check other review sites, also. If you need a clean place to stay for a very reasonable rate, this will do nicely.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family