“Reasonable Rate and Clean”

Baymont Inn & Suites Winston Salem
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Southwest Virginia
“Reasonable Rate and Clean”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I chose this hotel because it is located on the north side of town and close to Wake Forest University and Highway 52. I made my reservation through the Choice Website and upon arrival I was promptly greeted by a very professional and friendly front desk clerk. This appears to be an older Choice Property and it is somewhat dated with older box TV’s rather than flat screens. I must say that older and dated does NOT bother me as long as the staff is professional and the rooms are clean. This hotel met those requirements. My room was very clean and larger than some other Comfort Inn’s. The room was quiet spacious even with a small sofa, chair, work desk and office chair. My room also featured a small microwave and refrigerator. The breakfast area was very well attended throughout the advertised time and featured the usual pastries, cereal, waffles, juice and coffee. The breakfast area also is large enough that I did not feel crowded or hurried. The staff I encountered were friendly and professional and I was very pleased with the very reasonable rate that this hotel features. The only very minor issue is there can be some traffic noise from Highway 52. This was not a problem for me but my be an issue to for others. You might consider requesting a room that does not face the Highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Highway 52 to eliminate traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SneakinDeacon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2012

On our way thru Winston Salem we stayed @ the Comfort Inn. Nice hotel, friendly, clean. Pleasant stay.

What sets them apart from others is the way they went out of their way to try and locate a laptop charger we thought we left there. Several phone calls later, we located it at another hotel. Tristin and Debbie handled our several phone calls with patience and professionalism. Give these two a raise.

Thanks for your efforts.

Jim & Sherry (Canada)

Room Tip: Clean, convenient, good beds, friendly & honest, hardworking staff!!
1 Thank Sherry A
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Check in was very quick, and the clerk was very friendly. The room for the most part was clean, but there was urine around the base of the toilet yet. That is why I am only giving the hotel an average rating. As far as noise complaints from other reviews, I have to agree with them. Someone on our floor, just loved to have their door bang shut every time they went in and out. It started around 5:00 AM, and continued for at least an hour. Very irritating. Also, not sure where the loud music was coming from, but listened to that all night long. It was not anywhere in the hotel, but the area. We had three adults in our room, so it was quite cozy. Wished the vanity area for the bathroom, had been separate from the shower/toilet area. Took a lot longer for everyone to get ready the next morning. Breakfast was good with waffles, hard boiled eggs in a bag, sausage and biscuits in a bag (warmed up in the microwave). Quite tasty. Some fresh fruit would have been nice. If ever in the area, would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Janice14
Maryland
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Friendly helpful staff. Clean room. Good price. Get to breakfast early as there's not much room to move or sit. Breakfast was very good, and there was plenty of everything right up to the end, they just need to maybe rearrange thins a little. The walls are a little thin, and the door closers on all the rooms make the door slam if you don't hold it, which can be a little aggravating at 5:30 AM. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Get an end room if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JohnnyPopper
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is a great place to stop for the night. We went there with a coupon and otherwise might not have noticed it. The hotel and room were nice and clean, breakfast was the usual and we had no complaints. We certainly did not encounter noise concerns. Recommended.

Willoughby, OH
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I hope that everything in my room will be in working order, if not I expect the hotel to take care of it promptly. When the owner/manager Mr. Patel is present, that is certainly true; when he isn't on premises the employees don't seem to be able to handle simple requests. I called the front desk soon after check-in to report that the floor lamp didn't work and ask for a new bulb. "They're locked up." I suggested she swap our lamp with one in an unoccupied room. "I'm not allowed to do that." Her only solution was to have us wait until Mr. Patel came in the next morning -- and at that time he expressed surprise at the front desk's answers (and the wake-up call we didn't get)and promptly went up to our room to correct it. I was willing to wipe the slate clean and start over, except that on our way out of the room to do sightseeing about 10:30 am we passed the housekeeper and said we were now out of her way. She commented that we didn't want "service." We said yes, we did. She said we had our "do not disturb" out. We replied, it's off now. It seemed difficult to convince her that we did want our room done. We were puzzled -- were the housekeepers already winding up their duties at 10:30 am? Third customer service issue: our keys stopped working after 2 nights and we had to return to the desk, even though the original front desk clerk had assured us we were checked-in for the entire stay. Fourth customer service issue occurred when we decided to checkout early so we could travel before a storm came in. We had booked our stay on paid nights + points + paid night, and had 3 separate reservation #'s, so we needed a cancellation # for the last night. The front desk clerk was on the phone trying to book a reservation for another customer and suggested we just wait 'til morning and talk with Mr. Patel. In order to handle things at my convenience, I had to call the 800# for Choice Hotels. You would think they would be grateful I was giving them more notice than the by 6pm which is required!

I also quibble with calling what is offered a "hot breakfast". To me, this implies that there are hot items already cooked and ready to eat. I would call this an extended continental breafast with make-your-own waffles, refrigerated saugsage & biscuit sandwiches and hard boiled eggs available to nuke.

The hotel itself is fine, better than average looking lobby and hallways. Our room was a comfortable king suite with sofa bed, coffee table, microfridge, double chest of drawers and extra table handy for placing one of our suitcases. We travel with abundant luggage and it fit.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I would stay at this property again. This was the cleanest hotel room that I have had in a very long time. The bathroom was spotless! The woman at the front desk was very friendly and also very helpful with any questions that we had about the area. We did not have any noise at night and had a very restful stay there on our way to Myrtle Beach. We did not stay for breakfast there but that area also looked very clean. Did not use the pool during this stay. I can't say enough good things about this hotel.Very close getting on and off our route. Plenty of food choices near by.

Room Tip: Large room on the 3rd floor. Very quiet. Elevator worked well.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family