“Resort and Spa it is not!”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
Apex, North Carolina
“Resort and Spa it is not!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

So, of course when booking the hotel I was suckered in by some of the pictures and the name. Unfortunately, I had not looked at this site first for reviews, which I will be sure to do next time. I just needed a room for one night for my husband, myself and my mom. So, I booked the extra large King room with Sofa Bed. Ummmm not sure how it was extra large, I would like to see a small one. I had to ask several times to get extra blankets and sheets for the sofa bed. The bathroom was dirty and lots of somebody else's hair on the floor. The sheets were threadbare and the couches, chairs, etc. had stains on them. Woke up in the middle of the night freezing because of a draft coming in from the outside through the heat/ac unit. You could literally look through the unit and see a big gap in the wall and the parking lot outside. It looks like the tried to update/upgrade the hotel with a cheap contractor, they have gone through and put crown molding everywhere and some other nice touches, but it looks like a 5 year old installed it. Oh, the other reason why I booked it was they had advertised a Deluxe continental breakfast, which was NOT deluxe. I might as well have been staying at a Days Inn, it was prepackaged pastries, and some cereal. Well, I guess that is what I get for spending $79 or whatever I paid.

• Liked — quiet room at end of hall
  • Disliked — dirty feeling of room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2009
We are with the Choice Hotels Franchise. We are a Clarion Collection because we are unique and we do have a boutique (Spa). We thank you for sharing your comments and you are always welcome to stop in and see the improvements that have been made over the past year+.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2007

1. Requested no adjoining room - got TWO adjoining. Moved.
2. Room by slow elevator so people chatted loudly outside our door while waiting. Moved.
3. Room with one adjoining door was all that was still available - clerk had no clue.
4. Huge bug on desk greeted us.
5. TINY bathroom with no exhaust.
6. Sheets wouldn't stay 'tucked' so wadded up all night (I'm not a 'busy' sleeper.
7. Air conditioner was either HIGH or OFF.
8. Might as well not have had a door between rooms. Sounded like we were rooming with next door neighbors.
9. Complimentary part of breakfast (except for excellent Starbucks coffee) was ridiculous. Had to beg for a cereal other than Fruit Loops of Apple Jacks. Only had whole milk which they poured for you lest you take too much. Sign admonishing you to only take one portion.
10. Friend's room wasn't made up when he returned for 2nd night.
11. We spent 2nd night across the street at the Marriott Courtyard!

• Liked — Starbucks coffee
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tipatina
I apologize for the not so favorable stay that you encountered with us. We always want to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied in every area of our property. Unfortunately, sometimes we fall short of our goals. Management was brand new at this time. Please come back to us and see all of the wonderful changes that have been made. Our customers love staying with us and brag about their experiences.

Travellers are raving about these Winston Salem hotels

Triangle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2007

I've given this hotel a 2 of 5 only because the hotel operator/sales clerk gave me the Internet rate via phone because I didn't want to use my credit card on the Internet to book.

Other wise, I would have given this hotel a 1 of 5, here's why:
- the 2 ladies at check-in didn't appear to have a clue regarding their job

- one of the counter/clerks had no sense of courtesy, a simple "one moment please" to me would have been excepted, instead right in the middle of check-in she picked up the phone [in mid sentence] without excusing herself

- then, when I was checked in, I had another questions - - nothing profounded or anything, but I realized I didn't know where the room was or where to park. I must have stood there, for what seem more than I should have, to get her attention to ask - -since I was directed there any the beginning

- that same clerks since of security was lacking to say the least. I had her make a room key for hubby when he arrived and I stood there waiting on her to put the key, that was placed in an envelope, in a secure place. Not only did the envelope have hubby's name, but it also had the room number on it. Instead, I watched as she left the envelope on top of the counter, which was so messy, and tend to other things. I stood there to see how long she would notice that she left the key on the counter with all of the other mess - - she didn't even notice that I was still standing there. Finally, I said to the other clerk, "That room key is for my hubby who will be showing up later, can you pls find a secure place for it?". How simply was that. Oh did I mentioned the room key didn't even work when hubby tried to get in the room.

- lastly, I'm not saying the hotel could have prevented this, but the occupants in the "next" room, 1) decided to view their movie at the highest possible volume setting 2) after 1:00AM those same occupants decided that that was the optum moment to argue, fortunately, the children are very sound sleepers, hubby however couldn't take it and rapped on the dividing door from within our room - - didn't help.

Okay, that's enough - - we'll never stay at Sundance again, nor recommend it.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
Charlottesville, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2007

This was one of the worst hotels I ever stayed in. There were 3 of us - myself, my husband and son. I had booked a room with a king size bed and a pull out double sofa. When we were ready for bed and pulled out the sofa there were no sheets or blankets. We searched the closet and drawers and found nothing. We called the front desk and no one would pick up the phone. We went down to the front desk and reported the problem. She said she would call housekeeping and they would bring the bed linens right away. They never came and my son ended up sleeping in his clothes.

They advertised a free continental breakfast with bagels, english muffins, muffins, cereals, etc. What they had was prepackaged muffins and a few sugary unhealthy cereals and were actually yelling at people if they took more than one muffin.

The room had wires hanging from the ceiling, the sheets were threadbare and the bathroom toilet seat was disgusting.

I would sleep in my car before staying here again.

Stayed November 2007
I apologize for the not so favorable stay that you encountered with us. We always want to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied in every area of our property. Unfortunately, sometimes we fall short of our goals. Management was brand new at this time. Our breakfast has many healthy items such as yogurt, apples, bananas, oatmeal. We are always striving to put in place what the customer is asking for. Please come back to us and see all of the wonderful changes that have been made. Our customers love staying with us and brag about their experiences
Bowling Green
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2007

I had the unfortunate experience of staying here on business because everything else was booked up due to a local event that was occuring. It was myself and several other colleages. We started cracking up before we even got inside this hotel because of the run down look of the place. They had replaced every other section of a wrought iron fence with sagging pieces of wood and they were using these cheap bamboo shades as an awning.
Once inside, the people were nice so I felt a little better. When I got off the hotel on the 3rd floor the smell of reeking stale smoke was almost overwhelming. It permeates everything. The carpet in the rooms has no padding underneath and looks very old. My sheets and blankets had cigarette burns in them. And then I saw an enormous cockroach on the wall. I called the front desk who offered no apology but send they'd send up maitenence. Turns out my window was open so we figured it crawled in through there and we shut the window. Over the course of the next few days several other people would find cockroaches in their rooms too, as well as the elevator.
The beds are absolutely terrible. Every morning when I woke up I felt like I had been beaten in my sleep. I would bet that the mattresses are 15 years old at least. The springs jabbed me all night.
Sundance is trying to be a nice hotel by having a spa and fitness center and all that stuff but what they really need to do is go back to basics. Nobody is going to go to their spa if they have to sleep with the cockroaches on an old matress under burnt sheets to do it.

• Liked — Continental Breakfast includes Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Biscuits and Gravy
  • Disliked — Cockroaches
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear Guest:
First of all – thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time in writing your review. We love to hear from you, our guest, because it provides us with an opportunity to find out where we have met or exceeded your expectations and where we need to improve. It is clear that we failed our goal with you. However, every review will be shared with the relevant staff, management and myself. Your comments will be used to prepare a corrective action plan. I assure you we all listen carefully. This is the only way to reach our goal of meeting and exceeding your expectations.
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Please call me to when making arrangements for a future trip to our city and I will make it my business to point out the corrective action we have taken.
Jacksonville, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2007

I stayed at the Sundance Plaza because the company I was interviewing with put me up there. My FIRST room was musty and dirty and the air conditioning could not work. It could not work because, although there was a cord attached to the air conditioner, there was no where to plug it in. They did move me to another room, although they were not happy about it as if not having an electrical outlet for the air conditioning unit was somehow my fault. Keep in mind this is North Carolina in August. It's warm to put it mildly. The second room had air conditioning that worked, but it was dirty. I felt filither after I used the shower than before I used it and I slept fully clothed because I wasn't sure when the sheets had been changed last. There is no internet capability, nor is there really a place to plug your computer in on the desk. For business travelers, this is problematic. The vending machine took my money and I was again grudgingly given a refund. I couldn't wait to leave. Please don't make a mistake in booking here. There is a nice Marriott Courtyard right across the street. Go with a name you know!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — The pool party at 2am that management didn't want to interrupt when I called to complain.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2007

In town Sept. 7 for a football game so the location was great, within walking distance of Groves Stadium but other than that the hotel is definitely lacking. Room wasn't clean, vending machines on our floor didn't work, loud music in the ballroom. This must be the only Clarion hotel in NC that doesn't accept Choice Hotel gift cards. On a positive note, the employees were very friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Close to Groves Stadium
  • Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family