This hotel needs help in a bad way. We were with a large group and were required to stay here. It took us two and a half hours to check in. Yes, two and a half hours. They were woefully unprepared for a large group check in...one that they knew were coming. After waiting in line for almost an hour, the first set of keys they gave us was for a room that had NO LOCK on it, just an open hole in the door where the lock was supposed to be. Back down to the desk to try and explain to the very harried staff (perhaps they could have added some additional staff?!?!) what was wrong and another wait ensued. Many things were broken in the hotel. There were doors with parts and pieces hanging off of them, our keys stopped working countless times throughout the day and if we were lucky there was someone at the front desk to remagnetize them, the arm of the couch in our room was torn, the carpet was stained, hope you like cold showers because hot water was almost impossible to find. After the debacle of check in we decided we weren't going to try and take advantage of the free continental breakfast (didn't want to start off every morning frustrated) so we bought breakfast food at the store to put in the room fridge. Bad idea. The fridge FROZE all our milk and fruit and soda. Sigh. The walls are thin and we could hear yipping dogs (I'm not a fan of pet friendly hotels, sorry) at all hours of the day and night. By the time it was time for us to leave we were beyond ready to go.
As for positives, the staff that we did deal with were apologetic for the check in mess. The room was clean-ish and bug free. And while we were waiting in endless lines we were offered brownies and ice water. There was also ample free parking. Red Hot and Blue is walking distance about a block away if you're looking for some good BBQ, and right next to that is a great place called Meltworks. Gourmet grilled cheese and delish burgers.
Word to the wise, if you're stuck staying here with a group or conference I'd recommend either showing up really early or really late to avoid check in headaches and also set your expectations low. It is an old hotel in desperate need of some TLC and a facelift.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax and leave the details to us at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, minutes from Interstate 40 and walking distance from Wake Forest University, the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum Complex, the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds, Ernie Shore Field, shopping and dining. Our lovely boutique-style Inn is pet-friendly and close to cultural attractions such as the Reynolda House Museum of American Art, as well as hiking, fishing and local wineries. The Winston Salem Hotel & Spa features a refreshing day spa and onsite restaurant and lounge as well as free Wi-Fi Internet throughout the hotel and free continental breakfast. Our spacious guest rooms include Microwave, Mini Refrigerator, Coffee Maker, Hairdryer, 32 inch flat panel TV, and free high-speed Wi-Fi. Soak up the sun in the outdoor pool and work out in the fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Winston Salem Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundance Plaza Hotel And Suites
- Sundance Plaza Hotel Winston Salem
- Clarion Winston Salem