“I wish I could say better things....” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
virginia
“I wish I could say better things....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This hotel needs help in a bad way. We were with a large group and were required to stay here. It took us two and a half hours to check in. Yes, two and a half hours. They were woefully unprepared for a large group check in...one that they knew were coming. After waiting in line for almost an hour, the first set of keys they gave us was for a room that had NO LOCK on it, just an open hole in the door where the lock was supposed to be. Back down to the desk to try and explain to the very harried staff (perhaps they could have added some additional staff?!?!) what was wrong and another wait ensued. Many things were broken in the hotel. There were doors with parts and pieces hanging off of them, our keys stopped working countless times throughout the day and if we were lucky there was someone at the front desk to remagnetize them, the arm of the couch in our room was torn, the carpet was stained, hope you like cold showers because hot water was almost impossible to find. After the debacle of check in we decided we weren't going to try and take advantage of the free continental breakfast (didn't want to start off every morning frustrated) so we bought breakfast food at the store to put in the room fridge. Bad idea. The fridge FROZE all our milk and fruit and soda. Sigh. The walls are thin and we could hear yipping dogs (I'm not a fan of pet friendly hotels, sorry) at all hours of the day and night. By the time it was time for us to leave we were beyond ready to go.
As for positives, the staff that we did deal with were apologetic for the check in mess. The room was clean-ish and bug free. And while we were waiting in endless lines we were offered brownies and ice water. There was also ample free parking. Red Hot and Blue is walking distance about a block away if you're looking for some good BBQ, and right next to that is a great place called Meltworks. Gourmet grilled cheese and delish burgers.
Word to the wise, if you're stuck staying here with a group or conference I'd recommend either showing up really early or really late to avoid check in headaches and also set your expectations low. It is an old hotel in desperate need of some TLC and a facelift.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators and ice machines. You'll be awake all night.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear Guest:
I reviewed your comment. Thank you for taking your time and share your feedback with me / us. Your comments have been shared with our staff and is being used to train our staff in the areas of deficiencies as well as include items on our action list for capital replacement expenditures.
While we strive to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests it is clear that we have failed to achieve our goal with you. I am truly sorry for that.
I remember the day very well and I remember that it took very long to check your group in.
The following week we had a big meeting about that.
Since your stay we have made many changes including upgrading many of our guest rooms with furniture, linen, mattresses, televisions and meeting / ballroom.
We added maintenance staff and hired additional support staff.
I would love to have another opportunity to welcome you back in person at our hotel and high light the changes we have made.
Again, thank you thank you for your comments!
Respectfully yours,
Sundance Plaza Hotel Spa & Wellness center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Don't know where to begin...the staff is very friendly and helpful. They are doing the best they can with an awful situation. The staff was quick to try and help with any request - they went above and beyond. But the owners of this place should be ashamed. The entire facility is in a state of disrepair. Broken doors, furniture that has seen much better days, carpets that are soiled... The computers were down causing unbelievably long check-in wait, the keys had to be reworked every day because they became erased, the walls in the rooms are paper thin so you can hear every noise... No hot water (if you wake up very very early and beat the crowd you can get a warm shower), wi-fi that worked sometimes and most times not...There is so much more, but I think you get the picture. Why did we stay? We had no choice. Were with a group and had to attend a function at the hotel. Would we stay again? Never in a million years. They could not pay me to stay here. The spa by the way looks clean and bright. I did not have a treatment, but it looked good - although a bit out of place in this hotel. Housekeeping did the best job they could under the circumstances. I commend the staff for working in such an atmosphere. This place really needs help.

Room Tip: FIrst Floor - elevators take forever.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank katieG212
FamilyManBahama, Owner at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Guest:
First of all – thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking time in writing your review. We love to hear from you, our guest, because it provides us with an opportunity to find out where we have met or exceeded your expectations and where we need to improve. Every review will be shared with the relevant staff including me, the owner and management. Your comments will be used to prepare a corrective action plan. I assure you we all listen carefully. This is the only way to reach our goal of meeting and exceeding your expectations.
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Please call me to when making arrangements for a future trip and I will make it my business to point out the corrective action we have taken.
Again – thank you for your review

Travellers are raving about these Winston Salem hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Front desk staff- Renee was very courteous and well mannered. Room's clean only wish matresses were a bit firmer.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank KCKWashDC
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking your time and share your feedback with us. Our goal is ti meet or exceed your expectation and I am glad to hear that we achived our goal.

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Another great stay at the Sundance. Arrived a couple of hours early and still checked in with no problem. The room was immaculate as usual. The breakfast was terrific each day as well. The staff couldn't have been more accommodating. They always make us feel at home. Many thanks to Larry, Edith, Merriam, Beatrice, Edith and the whole staff.

Ps. Make sure you buy a newspaper from Greg ('The Pointer')...he's the guy in the middle of the road selling newspapers who 'blesses' everybody speeding by. Take a minute to stop or slow down and help him out.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob1313

Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sundance in Winston-Salem the weekend before Valentine's Day, as a romantic weekend away. We heard about the hotel through a Groupon, and we were looking forward to spending a nice weekend away together. I checked Tripadvisor after making the reservations, and was a little put off by the negative reviews, but we were game and wanted to give it a try.

We are so glad we did! We got the "Heaven" package, which includes a spa treatment (facial or massage or body wrap) and one night's stay. Other niceties of the package include a bottle of champagne on ice when we arrived, and a surprise second bottle in the fridge (no additional charge), as well as chocolates on the bed and a very nice arrangement of (silk, but still nice) rose petals on the bedspread. The package also includes room service breakfast in bed. We arrived two hours before check in due to my bad planning and were still able to check in, with the room in perfect order.

Our spa treatment was the body wrap, which consisted of a mud rub followed by being wrapped up for a half hour. We both immediately fell asleep for the half hour! After the mud, we each had a shower to get the mud off. The showers were private, adjacent to our mud rooms, and very well appointed: rainshower head, two wall nozzles, and a shower massage! We each had a glass of complimentary wine while they set up the mud treatments for us. Our spa staff members were very nice and professional, so much so that we went ahead and booked a manicure for my wife (not included in the package) for later that evening. Tip is not included in the package, so be sure to tip the spa staff, they earn it!

The room was very nice and spacious. There was a standard hotel safe in the closet, as well as iron and ironing board, a wall mounted hair dryer, medium size refrigerator, coffee maker with coffee fixins, and a quality television. Each room has a "theme" or is decorated by a local artist. Ours was a "western film" theme, which meant the decorations on the wall were autographed pictures of singing cowboys of whom we'd not heard, as well as two old reels of film which appear to be from an actual projector. The decor was tasteful and really made the room feel unique without feeling kitschy. The bed was soft and the pillows were fresh and fluffy.

Breakfast in bed via room service was a really nice touch, and we're not talking just a coffee and a bagel, either. We called down for the breakfast and the desk clerk said he'd take care of it. "You want the whole nine yards?" We did. Breakfast included scrambled eggs, hash browns, biscuits, toast, orange AND cranberry juice, bacon, and sausage, not to mention a carafe of fresh coffee.

I did not see nearly the problems other reviewers have had with this hotel. The location is not great, and our view was "the Pizza Hut across the street," but it's downtown Winston Salem and that's kind of what Winston looks like all over. The room smelled fresh and clean, the linens were immaculate, and the heater and hot water worked flawlessly. We did not sample the in-room coffee, but we didn't need to: the only time we wanted coffee it was brought to us by room service. The halls were quiet, even on a Saturday before Valentine's Day, and the maid service respected the "Privacy" sign we hung on the door in the morning. We were able to check in early and we checked out about ten minutes late, with no complaint from the staff. We really enjoyed our stay here and would stay again without hesitation. Demetris, Tabitha, and Pam at the spa made our stay especially enjoyable. My wife and I can be demanding guests (we stormed out of a restaurant for making us wait too long on this same trip), but we were really charmed by the Sundance. It is a renovated hotel, and you can tell it's not a brand new establishment, but that is not in any way to its detriment.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bzkarasek

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

I recently stayed at the Sundance Plaza Hotel because I had a business meeting at Wake Forest University. I found the Sundance on WFU's website and figured it would be a good place to stay since it was listed as a place to stay and it was close by.

I was wrong about my assumptions. The first issue was that they didn't have my reservation (because they hadn't checked the fax machine) and the desk clerk exclaimed, "I didn't know anyone was checking in tonight." The second issue was that the keycard system was not working so the front desk clerk had to let you in any time you left your room. Third, the room was old, tired, and worst of all, it was dirty.

Because of the key card issue, I didn't go to my room before going to find something to eat. By the time I returned, I was very tired. I got into bed and decided it was cold so I went to turn on the heat and it didn't work. Being too tired to move, I decided to bundle up and deal with it.

The next morning when I check out, I explained that the heat was broken and they apologized. That was it, they just apologized; no room discount, nothing.

The final issue was related to the full-service breakfast. I was invited to eat breakfast in the dining room so I thought I would. I went into the dining room and it was emply. I waited 10 minutes, no one ever entered the room, no wait staff to take my order, no other customers.

I'm not sure how this hotel stays in business. I do know that I will never recommend it and I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank meinbmnc
Dear Guest:
For the issues and areas where we failed I am truly sorry and I apologize.
Again – thank you for your review
chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed at The Sundance Plaza the first weekend of November over a busy football weekend. Overall, the hotel was nice...clean room, decent hot breakfast, walking distance to the game and friendly staff. Things that could use improvement...the coffee pot in the room was broken and the hot water in the showers. I did not use the spa facilities so I can't comment on that. If you are headed to a Wake Forest football game and unfamiliar with the area, stay here-it's a short walk to the stadium.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends