“You got to be kidding--I am not sure what the other reviewers were staying!”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in Winston Salem
DarienJim
“You got to be kidding--I am not sure what the other reviewers were staying!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Ok, first about my rating. I stay all over so when I rate something a five star hotel, it is world class.

Hence, the ratings contained by my fellow reviewers confound logic. I stayed here recently for Wake Forest graduation. We had two rooms both with double beds, but when I asked to bring a cot in since my third son would not sleep in one of the beds with his brothers, I was told they had no cots and it was a fire hazard.

The hotel itself is in state of disrepair and needs upgrading. We stayed in third floor and the hallways stank of an ashtray, all the hotel rooms are non smoking. One of our two rooms reeked of cigs.

Beds are very soft. Bathrooms are small. Eventhough we were away for five hours, housekeeping never came, and then the one hour we were in the room, they knocked and said they would not come back. Front desk service was snooty. There is breakfast included but it was pretty poor.

This hotel is convenient near campus but that's its only redeeming quality.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DarienJim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I enjoyed many weeks with the wonderful staff at the Sundance Clarion hotel.

Their staff and facilities are second to none. Walking distance to downtown, and convenience of all of Winston-Salem's greatest.

Keep this one on your list for value and style.

Keep it up Sundance!

Pat the Happy Traveler

Room Tip: All good rooms but I like the North side toward Wake Forest University and golf course.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I had a conference to attend at Wake Forest and this hotel was booked for me by my company. It is the most outdated hotel I have stayed at in many years. Hallway carpet in bad shape. My room was clean which is always good, but in need of an update in many areas. The fridge in the room froze all the drinks overnight. Took clothes with me so I could work out while I was there but the workout facility was closed. The staff was friendly. Did not go to the Bistro so cannot comment on the food there or the spa. I think that $119.00 a night is extremely high for the quality of this hotel. I would think $79.00 a night would be more accurate.

Room Tip: I would book a room on the first floor if possible. One of the elevators was down and it is a long w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2013

This Clarion Collection Hotel in Winston Salem is one of kind. I will tell you the front desk staff is amazing friendly and always going out of their way for us. My wife loves their spa. It is first rate. She loves to get a massage while I relax at their beautiful pool. I enjoy the made to order omelets and Starbucks coffee which is included in the price of the room. The beds are super comfortable. I would suggest this property to anyone I know! It is a very central location because it is near the mall and Wake Forest Campus. It will always be my room of choice while in Winston Salem.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to their jaccuzzi suite. It is well worth it!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 April 2013

There was a mix up in reservations with my elderly father. The mix up was not the fault of the hotel, however they did everything possible and more to help my father and resolved the issue. The customer service he received was above and beyond any I have seen before. I highly recommend the clarion collection hotel sundance plaza in winston salem nc. Their customer service will restore your faith in people!!!

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We we're in town for a special assembly in the area so we decided to stay here since it was right across the street from the venue and reasonably priced. The hotel front desk staff was pleasant and checked us in promptly. The actual hotel looks like it underwent some sort of remodel, but still needs a lot more work. We stayed in a king room. It was an average king bed room, with a pull out bed and desk... very typical. The room did have a microwave and fridge, but I think they have been there since the 1960s. We placed some fruit in the fridge and it really didn't keep them cold. The room was ok clean wise, but many upgrades are in order. The bathroom was tiny, even for a hotel, and the mirror on the bathroom door was about to fall off...It was flapping all over the place. We did not use the spa or try the breakfast, but I was told it was a hot one, so that's a perk, but can't really comment on it. Overall it was an ok stay, but but as my title states, glad it was only for a night. I will not be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Wasn't expecting much (know the area of Winston-Salem) but the hotel was very convenient to the convention center and the staff was very friendly and nice. Room was clean, but older. Some updates have been made in interesting ways (trying to make the hotel more artsy?) but the new additions just seemed to create a greater contrast with the parts that are old and out of date. Breakfast was decent, coffee was good. We were on the first floor and could hear conversations in the hallway, and our neighbor's TV in the next room.

Room Tip: First floor was noisy - but our friends on higher floors did not have the same experience.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple