“Never Stay Here Again”

Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
North Carolina
“Never Stay Here Again”
Reviewed 22 December 2008

This hotel was old, dirty, and falling apart. We were afraid to get into the bed. We will NEVER stay here again! It was disgusting.

• Liked — Checking out!
  • Disliked — The dilapidated building.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2009
Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We are always upgrading our product to ensure that our customers are 100% satisfied.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Easton, MA
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We have stayed at Sundance several times when visiting our son at Wake Forest. The location is great if you are visiting the campus. It is an easy 5 minute walk to either the football stadium or basketball arena, and a 5-minute drive to the campus. The hotel itself is a good value compared with other nearby hotels. However, the hotel itself is just OK, nothing special. The breakfast that is included is pretty sparse. This could be improved upon. The bistro is hardly what you could call a restaurant. My husband and I tried to get a glass of wine at the bar around 9:15 one Thursday night, but they had already closed for the evening. But if you are looking for value for a short stay, then Sundance is a good choice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast, bistro
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2009
Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We have improved our breakfast menu with many healthy foods to chose from. WFU is right next door. We do have the Spa, Sanctuary Gardens, Live Jazz on Fridays.
Southwest Virginia
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I had traveled to Winston-Salem to attend the Wake Forest – Clemson Football game and chose this hotel because of its location. It is within walking distance to both Grove Stadium and the Lawrence Joel Coliseum. Arriving at the Sundance in the middle of the afternoon, I found that a large number of football fans were trying to check in and was prepared for what I expected to a slow process based on the sheer number of people ahead of me. To give management credit, they were prepared and had an ample number of employees on handle the large number of guests and my check in was very quick and easy. This is an older hotel and in some places it does show its age but the common areas and my room have been recently upgraded and were quite sufficient for my needs. My room was clean, and well attended, and it was equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave. Parking was sufficient and we were able to walk to the game and leave our car in the parking lot. The morning breakfast was good, and in addition to featuring the usual Pastries, cereal, muffins coffee, milk and juice, it also had scrambled egg, waffles, and biscuits and gravy. Check out was just as quick and easy as the management once again was prepared for a large number of guests. I found the entire staff to be quite accommodating and able to attend to their guest in a very efficient manner. The only thing that may have been an issue to some guest was that a couple of elevators were out of order which required guest to walk the length of long hallways to their rooms. Also I found the elevators that were in service were quite small and could not accommodate more than two or three people with luggage. Over all I was quite satisfied with my first stay at the Sundance and plan on returning when I am in Winston-Salem especially attending Wake Forest Sports Events.

• Liked — Quick Check In and Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — Small Elevators
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2009
Thank you for sharing your positive comments and posting your comments where all customers can review the wonderful experience that you had with us. We are always striving to meet our customers needs and making sure that each customer has a terrific stay that they can talk about to others.
Mass
Reviewed 21 July 2008

A Western Film Festival I was attending had booked this location for our event. Some previous reviews left me a little nervous.
I found the prior reviews to be completely unfounded. While this is an older hotel, it has been mostly all renovated & upgraded to include most all modern ammenities. The rooms were clean & comfortable & well appointed. Parking was much better than the previous Hilton we were at. The layout of the hotel was very well suited to our needs, and I found that the staff was always very willing and helpful. The only negative was that some of the desk staff, while willing, need some more experience to take care of multiple situations at once.
They provided an excellant continental breakfast, and a luncheon bar which all seemed to enjoy.
I am glad to hear that the groups organizers have already signed a contract to have our event there again next year also.

• Liked — Staff helpfullness
  • Disliked — A little difficult to locate
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am looking forward to the Western Film Fair in 2009. All of the staff had a wonderful time with the customers, supporting the event with their cowboy/cowgirl hats and bandanas. 1/3 of our guest rooms have local / regional artwork. We allocated 6 of our guest rooms to honor the Western Film Fair Festival that is held here. If you get the opportunity, ask to stay in one of the six rooms and I am sure you will enjoy it.
CA
Reviewed 20 May 2008

If the Marriots are booked up and you just need a place to stay for a night or two, this is fine. It's your basic motel, decent and somewhat clean but nothing special. Bathrooms are a little dingy and less clean and could use some updating, walls are paper thin but beds are acceptable and location is good if you're visiting the university. Not a first choice by any means but not the worst motel in the world either.

• Liked — Location near the university
  • Disliked — Dated and dingy.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We are a upscale property with a Spa, Wellness Center Atmosphere, a Fitness Center, and our gorgeous Sanctuary Gardens to relax in. We have over 10,000 square footage of banquet facility to hold any type of function. The property was renovated in 2005-2007 and we are continuously upgrading.

Travellers are raving about these Winston Salem hotels

Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed 22 April 2008

We stay at this hotel frequently, for two reasons- its proximity to the events we attend and the unavailability of other, near-by hotels. The latter reason alone should be revealing about this hotel.

I have stayed at this hotel on and off for over 12 years, albeit under different ownership at times. Somehow, it just never seems to get any better overall.

The fixtures in the room are usually poorly assembled or installed. Things from disjointed crown molding to remote controls with dead batteries to chairs with loose legs are minor items at best. However non-working HVAC units; uncaulked shower tubs; stained shower tubs; drinking glasses with lipstick; mattresses with stains; ripped phone books- those items are more than bothersome. This is not to say you'll encounter all of this in the same room at the same time. But you can at least bet on one of those items per stay.

This past weekend, we had to move from a room because the HVAC unit (both A/C and heat) did not work. At all. After moving from a king to a two double-bed room, we discovered that the stairwell doors (our room was adjacent to the elevator lobby) are not oiled or maintained as from approximately 11pm until 4 am, they routinely squeaked and slammed, with a loud metallic clang echoing through the building structure. After walking around (since I could not sleep) I discovered that every single stairwell door in this "hotel" had some form of problem- enough to be disruptive of the rooms in the immediate vicinity.

Later that sleepless night (as we found out in the morning) a local high school prom began to fill the hotel and we were treated to loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate and unsupervised kids who filled the halls with noise and smoke (on non-smoking floors). The haze of smoke was thick enough as to obscure the far end of the hall and the stench was overpowering.

Then we were treated to rap music being blasted from room 201- an entire floor below us and on the other side of the lobby from us. This is the most fortuitous aspect of our stay as the room we had initially been given (with the non-working HVAC) was room 301: directly above the new dance club room.

I saw no hotel security or any other personnel other than the woman at the front desk whose only recourse was to call the Winston-Salem Police Department... four separate times. And they came out... four separate times. For a while during my sleepless roamings of the hallways, I listened to this beleaguered woman take call after call from angry hotel guests and respond with little more than, "I've called the police, sir." Great customer service to be sure.

After not sleeping, we had to catch a flight in Greensboro at 7:30 so we left at 6am. The woman at the front desk, when asked about the night's revelry, said that the hotel policy was no rooms may be booked by anyone under 21. After an evening of not sleeping, I found that amusing enough to laugh out loud. When I inquired how she was going to make the situation right by us, she responded with that corporately fatal term which is basically suicide for customer service: I don't have the authority to do anything. You might as well just spit at a customer and call him an idiot for patronizing your company.

Frankly, the only thing that popped into my mind was the familiar blue and white logo of the Ritz Carlton and their superlative, do-whatever-it-takes customer service. But we're not paying Ritz rates at the Sundace, are we? Well, it cost me almost $100 for a night of not-sleeping, smoke, noise and an education in how not to structurally maintain a customer-friendly hotel. $100 won't get you much at the Ritz but I would've slept better in my car in a Ritz parking lot.

As I've said before- I've stayed at this hotel many times. I've never been compelled to write a review as I find myself very forgiving and understanding about things that happen in a hotel.

To be fair and clear, this hotel has certainly made some improvements. But I fear they are less substantive and more superficial.

So in exchange for "I don't have the authority to do anything," I will take my 6-8 weekends a year I spend at this hotel and stay at another hotel in Winston. I will also not spare anyone else I know my story. I might normally bring my problems to the attention of higher-ups in the Clarion chain but if their front-line people are taught to say "I can't do anything," I can only imagine the pre-packaged response I'd get from upper-management. Frankly, it's easier to take my business elsewhere than to remind a purported hotel chain about the basics of hospitality.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise, cleanliness, lack of maintenance
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelDeacon
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We welcome all feedback, negative and positive. If you would like to come back, ask to see the General Manager and I will make sure that everything goes well with your stay.
Cherokee, NC
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I can see some major improvements. I stayed here a while ago and things look much better. Staff is friendly and cordial. Rooms look cleaner and improved still not a five star property, but I think sometime they will be there or very close. I would recommend this for the average travelor who is looking for a good value, and frinedly people.

• Liked — The staff service
  • Disliked — Everything was very nice
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for recognizing that our team is doing a great job. We spend every day ensuring that our customer is taken care of and the quality of their stay is exceptional.