“Liked central location, easy access to downtown”

Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We arrived early evening. Check in was fast and simple, our reservation information was online and easily accessed. The room with a king bed was very comfortable, spacious but not huge, arrangement worked very well. All was clean, lots of towles and pillows. Had a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. We only stayed one night so we didn't get to try out the other amenities but the bar looked nice with a nice jazz band playing. The contential breakfast was more robust that the usual fare and included scrambled eggs and grits, stay away from the bacon and sausage though. All in all very nice.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
FreebirdNewYork, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2009

Thank you for complimenting our property. We strive to meet 100% guest satisfaction. We look forward in having you back again.

Reviewed 23 December 2008

Hello All,

I made my reservation through Choice Hotels and it was a smooth transaction. Upon arrival my reservation for a first floor room was problematic but the staff was able to accommodate me. This hotel is about 1/2 mile from the Convention center in Winston Salem.

1) The room I was finally assigned to was artistically appointed, neat, clean, decorated, well stocked and well thought out, homey in one word.

3) The lobby and other common areas were clean , organized, well cared for, nicely decorated with lots of art. They have marble floors and a Spa facility that is more suited for the female guests and a very nice, and very clean exercise facility.

4) Staff was very accommodating even through the check in problem

5) Continental breakfast was complimentary, a wonderful presentation, that presented fresh high quality bakery, cooked to order waffles, fruits,and cereals, The food quality was very high, good choices and reasonably priced cooked to order eggs and omelets for those who chose them.

6) Happy hour had complementary finger food as well. Items foods were well planed and catered quality, a very good expirence.

7) The exterior side doors leading to the parking area by the BP, could be replaced with something newer—it looks like a left over from before a remodel ? What was there was in good working order and locked every time used.

8) The exterior of the building was clean but I must say I would have had a better feeling if a little more effort went into security but the staff was right on any request. It was too cold to check out the pool facilities. They do have banquet facilities here, I did walk by during a wedding and from what I saw it was very nice.
Also they have a nice cocktail lounge on site.

9) Checkout was accurate and expeditious.

The overall experience at this hotel was exceptional and this hotel is a wonderful value, I would like to and will stay at this hotel again . You will not be disappointed. I would classify this hotel as a bargain.

Vince C.
Wilmington, NC

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2009

Wow. Outstanding comments. Thank you so very much for taking the time out to let us know that the little things we do definitely make a difference with our customers.

Reviewed 22 December 2008

This hotel was old, dirty, and falling apart. We were afraid to get into the bed. We will NEVER stay here again! It was disgusting.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2009

Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We are always upgrading our product to ensure that our customers are 100% satisfied.

Reviewed 24 November 2008

We have stayed at Sundance several times when visiting our son at Wake Forest. The location is great if you are visiting the campus. It is an easy 5 minute walk to either the football stadium or basketball arena, and a 5-minute drive to the campus. The hotel itself is a good value compared with other nearby hotels. However, the hotel itself is just OK, nothing special. The breakfast that is included is pretty sparse. This could be improved upon. The bistro is hardly what you could call a restaurant. My husband and I tried to get a glass of wine at the bar around 9:15 one Thursday night, but they had already closed for the evening. But if you are looking for value for a short stay, then Sundance is a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
PARTNERNC, General Manager at Winston Salem Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2009

Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We have improved our breakfast menu with many healthy foods to chose from. WFU is right next door. We do have the Spa, Sanctuary Gardens, Live Jazz on Fridays.

Reviewed 10 October 2008

I had traveled to Winston-Salem to attend the Wake Forest – Clemson Football game and chose this hotel because of its location. It is within walking distance to both Grove Stadium and the Lawrence Joel Coliseum. Arriving at the Sundance in the middle of the afternoon, I found that a large number of football fans were trying to check in and was prepared for what I expected to a slow process based on the sheer number of people ahead of me. To give management credit, they were prepared and had an ample number of employees on handle the large number of guests and my check in was very quick and easy. This is an older hotel and in some places it does show its age but the common areas and my room have been recently upgraded and were quite sufficient for my needs. My room was clean, and well attended, and it was equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave. Parking was sufficient and we were able to walk to the game and leave our car in the parking lot. The morning breakfast was good, and in addition to featuring the usual Pastries, cereal, muffins coffee, milk and juice, it also had scrambled egg, waffles, and biscuits and gravy. Check out was just as quick and easy as the management once again was prepared for a large number of guests. I found the entire staff to be quite accommodating and able to attend to their guest in a very efficient manner. The only thing that may have been an issue to some guest was that a couple of elevators were out of order which required guest to walk the length of long hallways to their rooms. Also I found the elevators that were in service were quite small and could not accommodate more than two or three people with luggage. Over all I was quite satisfied with my first stay at the Sundance and plan on returning when I am in Winston-Salem especially attending Wake Forest Sports Events.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for sharing your positive comments and posting your comments where all customers can review the wonderful experience that you had with us. We are always striving to meet our customers needs and making sure that each customer has a terrific stay that they can talk about to others.

Reviewed 21 July 2008

A Western Film Festival I was attending had booked this location for our event. Some previous reviews left me a little nervous.
I found the prior reviews to be completely unfounded. While this is an older hotel, it has been mostly all renovated & upgraded to include most all modern ammenities. The rooms were clean & comfortable & well appointed. Parking was much better than the previous Hilton we were at. The layout of the hotel was very well suited to our needs, and I found that the staff was always very willing and helpful. The only negative was that some of the desk staff, while willing, need some more experience to take care of multiple situations at once.
They provided an excellant continental breakfast, and a luncheon bar which all seemed to enjoy.
I am glad to hear that the groups organizers have already signed a contract to have our event there again next year also.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am looking forward to the Western Film Fair in 2009. All of the staff had a wonderful time with the customers, supporting the event with their cowboy/cowgirl hats and bandanas. 1/3 of our guest rooms have local / regional artwork. We allocated 6 of our guest rooms to honor the Western Film Fair Festival that is held here. If you get the opportunity, ask to stay in one of the six rooms and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Reviewed 20 May 2008

If the Marriots are booked up and you just need a place to stay for a night or two, this is fine. It's your basic motel, decent and somewhat clean but nothing special. Bathrooms are a little dingy and less clean and could use some updating, walls are paper thin but beds are acceptable and location is good if you're visiting the university. Not a first choice by any means but not the worst motel in the world either.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for responding regarding your stay with us. I do appreciate all feedback, negative and positive. We are a upscale property with a Spa, Wellness Center Atmosphere, a Fitness Center, and our gorgeous Sanctuary Gardens to relax in. We have over 10,000 square footage of banquet facility to hold any type of function. The property was renovated in 2005-2007 and we are continuously upgrading.