“Gets the Job Done”

Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 20 February 2014

A simple, easy hotel with a nice breakfast and friendly staff. The hotel is nothing special; it is merely a Holiday Inn Express, but the beds were comfortable and the location was good for shopping and eating.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MissJetSetter88
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to comment about our hotel. We appreciate the positive feedback.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were very impressed with the quality and responsiveness of the staff. The breakfast was hot and was very tasty. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. My family loved the area, and this was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Choose odd numbered room to be on the quiet side of the hotel, away from the highway.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MountainFam2016
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

I am always pleased to read Excellent reviews from our guests. I share this feedback with the team members to encourage and reinforce the impact of their service and hard work.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have stayed in this Holiday Inn Express multiple times. We keep coming back for a reason! The staff is wonderful and helpful. The public areas are always clean. The security is good. The rooms are large and well appointed. They also have one feature that you very rarely find! In these days of laptops and tablets and cell phones and many, many charger cords, in most hotels, you're lucky if you find 1 electrical outlet that you must use to plug everything you have into. Not so at this hotel....there are many, many outlets and they are all over the room. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom is spacious. The complimentary breakfast is always a good way to start the day. Though small, the workout room is nicely equipped. The hotel is located centrally with easy access to the highway and anything else you'd like to do in the Winston Salem area!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the side opposite the interstate because we've stayed in rooms on the intersta...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tmt57
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. We strive to make your stay as comfortable and hassle free as possible. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My experience at this hotel was mostly positive. The room was clean, spacious, nicely maintained and accessorized, and the CC feature on the TV worked great. I have a hearing loss so if there was traffic noise outside, I didn't notice it. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of foods including, among other things, make-your-own waffles, a meat, biscuits and gravy. Two attendants were constantly on duty making sure that items were well stocked and the area kept clean.

My only complaint, and I really wasn't happy that night, was the geographically-challenged person at the desk--Kourtland. The directions on the website weren't very specific, and I called for directions from I-77 when I felt I was near the hotel. Kourtland had little idea where the hotel was located beyond the street address. He didn't know if it was east or west off of I-40 from I-77. Then he wanted to know my home address, and gave me some unusual sounding directions that resulted in my getting pretty lost. When I finally made it to the hotel, Kourtland even had trouble telling me the location of my room, then looked for a map that took longer than one might think. A nice enough guy, just geographically challenged.

I'd like to recommend this hotel with one caveat. Call for directions while it is still daylight and you are not traveling at 70 mph. And by all means, if Kourtland answers the phone, ask for someone else!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RRichardson
jorgekoster, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

I am glad to read that your overall experience, outside of directions was pleasant. That is what we strive for! I have shared your comments with the team members, especially the housekeepers and breakfast attendants with regards to their due diligence in their effort to maintain the standard! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

As mentioned in other reviews, this property is located next to I-40 and is very loud. I approached the front desk at midnight to ask why I had been put on the loud side if there were rooms on the quiet side and was told there were rarely any complaints about the noise. Now, I could have moved to the quiet side but one member of my group was asleep so I would have had to pay for another room. I do not think much of a hotel that charged my such a high price for such poor accommodations and the employees lie to my face. There is no plan in place to insulate this hotel properly against the noise. Do not take a room on the even number side unless you want to be awoken by semis all night long. Better yet, find a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Pretty much any other hotel would probably have been a better choice. I would not recommend any roo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank xkal123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear xkal123,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience the outside club noise had caused you and regret that you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I'm relatively new to Holiday Inn Express and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality in several different cities. I had a good experience here. This was was a slightly lower quality than I've experienced at other HIEs. For example, the wallpaper in many areas is peeling slightly where it meets the ceiling. Both the treadmills in the gym made horribly loud sounds when in use. The plumbing in the bathroom was exposed under the sink. But, like I've said, none of this really impacted my stay. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was good as usual, the room was very clean and modern, the bathroom was roomy with a large sink area. When I come back in two weeks I'll probably stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Taylor Z
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This property is located along side an interstate and the traffic noise is inescapable. At times the traffic noise actually vibrated off our window. We honestly keep the TV on all night to try to drown out the of the traffic. In fairness the hotel is clean and the staff is pleasant but if sleeping soundly is your goal, select a different hotel in Winston-Salem.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear ZPACK52,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise from the road prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were happy to see you were pleased with the staff as well as your perfect score for Cleanliness. We take all of the reviews we received very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D