“We couldn't spend the night”

Motel 6 Winston-Salem
Ranked #36 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We often stay at a Motel 6 when traveling, so I understand what they are. I could not spend the night in this one. We reserved a non-smoking room and when we opened the door there had obviously been a heavy smoker in the room before us. This wasn't an old lingering smell from the distant past, this was a recent smoker. On top of that the room was filthy (even for an old Motel 6). We went back to the front desk to get a different room. The clerk explained that they were fully booked but we could have a non-smoking room that wasn't being rented because it required maintenance - the light over the sink wasn't working. We went into room #2 and it also had a strong smell of smoke. Also filthy; the bottom of the shower stall was brown. We left to have dinner and brought our bags with us as we didn't want them to stay in the smokey room any longer than necessary. In the end we drove several towns away and found a room in a different hotel. We never went back to the Motel 6. The motel deserves zero stars, but the clerk at the front desk was very apologetic and honestly tried to be helpful. The star is for her. She did try.

Room Tip: See the room before paying.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Amy R

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Mid afternoon of the third day of a quiet and otherwise peacefull day I found myself out of change for the dryer.. I returned to my room and was almost immedieately confronted by the Maintenance person who had come to repair the damage I had caused kicking in my door... This is ridiculous.... I, no had anyone else kicked in the door.. It was in no way damaged.. I questioned the gentleman,, got absolutely nowhere and decided to gather my things and leave..My belonging were scattered about the room,, primary concern was my wallet that was no beneath the tools he dropped on the dresser.. I retrieved my wallet,, went into the bathroom to collect my things and the maintenance man was on his way out the door.. so was my cell phone and charger!... I went to the front desk and rather than finding an open ear, the general manager denied sending anyone to my room for any reason.. he did offer to allow me to confront the employee which I chose not to do... I was refunded the prepayment made for another night stay and sent on my way... ?? ... I honestly believe the general manager is behind this and sent the employee into my room while I was distracted with my laundry... sadly I will never know, but you should... NEVER stay in a motel 6,, sleep in your car if you must...travelling I need that phone for work.. looking around for quarters and a payhone,, (do they exist anymore).. my blood is boiling and they are no doubt yukking it up back at the motel 6

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank p d
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Winston-Salem, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear p d - We sincerely apologize for the very unpleasant experience you encountered during your recent stay. Please kindly contact our guest relations department at your earliest convenience so they can have a record of your experience and address this issue to serve you better in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

This property is located within the cigarette capital of the world, which may explain why the non smoking room smelled like cigarette smoke and very few items in the room were not cigarette burned. This must be a way to get visitors to feel the true history of the Winston Salem area. Seriously though, for $43 what do you expect. It passes as a place to sleep. We also found 15 cents jammed into the top of the nightstand. SCORE!. It's not horrible, but could use some updates, paint and a replacement of the yellowed, cigarette burned sink,shower and television. Also a word of caution, there is an adult store across the parking lot, it's patrons have an issue where they feel the need to drive by very slowly and stare people down. Not the motel's fault, just creepy.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank AAirhart
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This motel is not indicative of the chain itself, but after staying here multiple times (a total of 5), if it weren't for the dirt cheap price, I wouldn't dare give this place a review.

If the fact that an adult-themed toy store doesn't tip you off to the type of place this is, then the cigarette burns (or meth pipe burns, your choice) on the bathroom sinks and filthy carpets will give it away. Non-smoking rooms still reek of smoke and contain ashtrays with a "No smoking" stickers affixed to them.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed here overnight on a Saturday night in July. Total room cost with tax was just under $40, but if you want to use the Internet wi-fi, it's an extra $3.50.

The room was small but entirely adequate for a single. Furnishings were sparse; there was a large table with the TV and a smaller work table and chair by the ac/heating unit. It did have a fold-up suitcase holder, and that's about all. No dorm fridge or microwave, nor an alarm clock. The office probably does wake-up calls, but a frugal traveler should have their own clock, just in case. The bathroom had a shower only, and no complimentary shampoo, so make sure you have your own of that as well. There is likewise no coffee maker nor hair dryer, so plan accordingly. Due to electrical outlet placement, I would also recommend bringing an extension cord if you want to use a computer on the work table. The TV and wi-fi worked fine.

The bed, as well as the towels, were clean and in good shape- I didn't have any problems at all with the bed. I would also recommend bringing your own pillow as I do on my travels, as these micro-pillows are getting ridiculous, not just at this motel.

There has obviously been some work and renovation done on the room, but there are still some rough spots, but most of these were cosmetic issues that really didn't affect the basic functionality. There was some debris on the floor corners, but the floors didn't seem dirty overall.

The motel itself is in a great location, convenient to nearby roads and shopping centers, and a few miles from downtown Winston-Salem. One concern is that there is an adult establishment in one corner of the lot, and there were a fair number of shady characters staying at the motel. None of them caused me any problems, however. The walls are rather thin and I did hear the people upstairs bumping around a few times, but nothing excessive, and there weren't any of the loud pool parties or loud music that other people experienced. Perhaps the staff has cracked down on that- they were nice and very helpful to me.

Before you stay, it might be helpful to drive around the lot to get a feel of what the "party" situation might be like, and if you hear anything, keep going. Otherwise, this could be a cheap place to stay, that is about about average for this type of motel.

Room Tip: Things you might need: clock, hair dryer, shampoo, extension cord for computer or other appliances.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed at the Motle 6 on Patterson Av in Winston-Salem and found it to be a good, clean, secure,comfortable, basic room. No frills like candy on the pillow, hair dryer (or even shampoo), fridg, or coffee maker, but there was soap, towels, hot water, TV, air/heat, ice and even excellent morning coffee in the office.The excellent location was about 3 miles from town center and near a mall. And of course the price was an excellent bargain as with other Motel 6's. I found all of the staff at this particular Motel 6 to be very friendly and helpful. My only slight complaint was that my wake-up calls were 10 minutes late. I would stay there again and recommend it to other frugle people.

Room Tip: Get the senior rate if elgible. Bring your own shampoo.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pperrin
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Room smelled like smoke, holes in curtains, part of curtains off the hook, cigarette burns in bathroom, paint on sink, nasty carpet, thug like clientelle, adult toy store next door, crud on bathroom floor.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
#30 of 38 in Winston Salem
Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
Winston Salem Hotel & Spa
#29 of 38 in Winston Salem
Extended Stay America - Winston-Salem - Hanes Mall Blvd.
Extended Stay America - Winston-...
#22 of 38 in Winston Salem
Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall
Quality Inn & Suites Hanes Mall
#25 of 38 in Winston Salem
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Winston Salem
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 6 in Kernersville

Been to Motel 6 Winston-Salem? Share your experiences!