“A destination dinner” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fabian's
Ranked #58 of 656 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“A destination dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've been wanting to go back to Fabian's, since we had not been there since the "old Fabian's", and so glad we did. We went to celebrate our anniversary, and had read the reviews, so knew it was a one seating, price fixed meal. Exactly what I was looking for. Intimate, cozy setting, with lots of candles and votives.
For us, the 5 courses began with a wild mushroom risotto. I was concerned about such a heavy 1st course, but for a 2-3 hour meal, and to balance our wine, it really was ok. And delicious! Next was the carrot, ginger soup. Yum. Followed by a mixed green salad. Bill (the chef and owner) came out early in the evening to welcome us (just 2 other couples in our room, and a small group in the other room) and to explain the entrée and dessert choices for the evening. I choose the scallops and my husband got the NC flounder topped with shrimp. Both were fabulous with wonderful sauces. We were asked several times about food allergies, etc. so everything is prepared exactly as you desire.
For dessert hubby had the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, and I had the strawberry shortcake. We were so full, but ate every morsel, because it was so wonderful. He completed his meal with a glass of port. Our servers were personal without being overbearing. One was Bill's wife, so you know they care about you really enjoying your evening.
We look forward to going back to the #1 restaurant in W/S soon.

• Visited July 2014

“An Experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This was just awesome to say the least. The personal service was impeccable. The food was so good my wife and I both cleaned our plates during all five courses. That carrot soup was to die for. I am so glad I found this place. This is a must visit. Local food from people who really love what they do. So impressed. .

“Outstanding Reboot of old Fabian's, Excellent Local Sourced Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you are a high end gourmet locavore interested in high quality food prepared meticulously with an excellent presentation then this is the place for you!

This is a prix-fixe meal (except for the wine).
The chef will come out and introduce you to the three or so choices for entrees. People often give him a round of applause after his descriptions of the choices for the night.

If you have any food limitations / allergies / etc, you can mention them and the chef will build you a custom alternative and you will love it.

I've been here for friends, business dinner, recruiting dinners, anniversaries, and romantic dinners. All excellent!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Dudarro
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Totally different in a Good way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Fabian's is #1on tripadvisor for a reason . Dining here is an experience that should not be missed . If you are strictly a steak and potato type go to Ryan's, if you want a true culinary experience go to Fabian's . Yes , some of the courses will be different from any other place in Winston so go with an open mind . A perfect place for a romantic dinner but you better book Valentines Day six months in advance .

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Wes C
“Such a treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Dined at Fabian's for the first time for my birthday with my husband. Small, cozy atmosphere (very romantic, dark decorations, candles, chandelier) with only about 10 tables total. Staff was ultra friendly (although I can see how others have commented where they may have gotten stuck chatting for too long with the staff - this didn't happen to us). Chef Bill came out and described the menu and recognized those of us celebrating special occasions.

The whole experience wasn't rushed at all, such a nice change of pace from most restaurants. We were there over three hours. Food is simple and straightforward, traditionally prepared (don't expect any modern twists or trendy touches) but absolutely done right. The crispy duck was divine and all the small bites of different sides with our entrees were delicious. Dessert was a little lackluster (plain white chocolate creme brulee and praline lava cake) but I'm not a big dessert fan anyway. My husband was worried he would leave hungry as he is somewhat a picky eater - this did not happen! Bill did a nice job of preparing items that were tasty and flavorful but accessible to most palates.

If I had to point out any improvement opportunity, I would suggest to the staff is to start cleaning up breadcrumbs from the white tablecloths. The homemade crusty bread was served warm and tasted great, but I was a little annoyed to have to stare at the crumbs on our table the whole night. This is the only "fine dining" touch that I missed. Otherwise, an excellent restaurant experience that we will definitely do again!

• Visited June 2014