“Everything a night away from home should be and then some”
Review of Graylyn Estate

Graylyn Estate
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My wife stays here a couple of times a year for board meetings and has been bugging me to take time off to come enjoy it with her . All I can say is WOW. A private mansion converted to a semi private hotel. If you want a sense of living in the gilded age, this is the place to do it. The rooms are large and well appointed. (The linens are remarkable and our bath was done entirely in hand painted tile). The staff is large, knowledgeable and goes out of their way to accommodate. This is a place that is way beyond people merely saying "my pleasure". You can sense that they really enjoy providing a level of care that is above and beyond.

On top of this, the gardens and estate grounds are amazing.

You will probably not get a room here unless you are with a group, as they don't generally do individual reservations. But if you are planning a meeting, a wedding or some similar event, you cannot do better than this. For entertainment there is tennis, swimming, and I highly recommend taking to walk over to Reynolda Village to look in the shops for the afternoon.
The only negatives are the lack of Individual (non-function oriented) dining options, and the wine list, which is geared more towards corporate dinners and wedding receptions rather than fine food, ((although the new beverage manager is seeking to turn over his cellar to have room to upgrade) Also, If you are seeking a local off property dinner option, let one of the numerous hotel drivers take you to a local place, as driving after dinner on local back roads is not advised.

If you are looking to host an event, a wedding, a meeting or a retreat, this is simply the best you can do in the Carolinas.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed here one night for business and am very glad that this wasn't my financial waste. I was certainly expecting more based on the website, history and rate.

Likes: grounds, historic architecture, icecream room on floor, plenty of service help (although not too competent).

Dislikes: poor check-in, stuffy atmosphere, very small room, single bed (I'm 6'5"!), hairs in bathroom, tiny bathroom, low shower head (barely reached my neck), low water pressure.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Yes, when you pull into Graylyn, it is spectacular, both grounds and main house. However, we were in a Mews room -- and the room itself was like a typical mid-range hotel. Ok, but not worth the $230 plus per night cost. What sent me over the edge when paying the bill was the extra $15 "activity fee" tacked on to an already expensive hotel room. Since it was a March visit, we were not using any activity like the outdoor pool. A hotel like this shouldn't charge an activity fee anyway. The one thing we hoped to use was the fitness center, but it is really non-existent (like two machines). This was suppose to be our treat hotel on our college tour trip, and I was happy to splurge, but I felt very ripped off. We could have driven through the grounds and gotten the highlight -- it's not actually staying here. A real disappointment.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WAStraveler
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Nothing succeeds like excess, as the man said, and Graylyn succeeds in every way. It is a manor, with outlying mews and bungalows. The service is very agreeable, as is the buffet breakfast. With a conference rate, it doesn't even cost that much. The center also provides transportation back and forth to Wake Forest University. There's a well stocked freezer with ice cream etc, for the sweet teeth, and an efficient business desk with computer and printer in the same lounge.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I normally read all reviews before I ever book a hotel room. Why I didn't in this case, I don't know, and I could kick myself. Our room was fine, but we were on the second floor above the service entry. At 5:15 a.m. I heard every delivery truck and the back up alarms. This went on for 45 minutes. The slamming of the doors and the noise from other guests is definitely bothersome. The hotel is lovely and I found the staff to be very friendly. Carol apologized for the noise when I mentioned it the next morning, but that didn't help considering that I had a 5 hour drive ahead of me. The breakfast was average at best.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2010

been traveling around the world, i have a taste for hotel. this hotel remind me of France. the service was excellent, the history of this castle was interesting. i just love this place, too bad i'm already did my wedding, or else i would have a destination wedding here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2010

This hotel has a lot of old world charm and friendly staff, but that is where the good experience ended for me. The room is outdated. That should have been part of the charm, but my shower played a tune the whole time it was on and my bed was lumpy. I could have overlooked these factors and given a good rating, however what really put me over the edge was having the alarm clock in the room next to mine go off at 5:25 AM the first night. I wasn't sure it was an alarm at first because it just kept beeping and I have never had an alarm that didn't shut itself off after 2 minutes. I attempted to call the front desk and my phone, which worked earlier that day, was no longer functioning. I used my cell phone and got a very friendly, but unapologetic staff member. They came in and shut it off. I decided why try to sleep any longer and got up. After my shower, not one but two other alarms on the third floor were beeping! I just put my ipod in and got ready. I must have been alone on the floor because 30 minutes later they were still both going off! After breakfast, which I will admit was nice, I told the front desk about the alarms. Again, no apologies. Well what really sealed the deal is the fact that on the second day I got another rude awakening at the same time from the same room. I again tried to use the room phone, but it was still dead. I called and an unapologetic staff member, the same from the day before, stated that he thought they had unplugged it yesterday. I waited and someone came and shut it off. Not 15 minutes later the thing went off again! I called and the person at the front desk seemed exasperated, but still no apology. It is not yet 6 AM on this floor and I am still waiting for the next round of alarm bells. To the Graylyn- Invest in alarm clocks that automatically shut off and have your staff apologize, especially when something unavoidable happens two nights in a row! Thank goodness this trip was not on my bill and the university covered the cost.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business