“Dreamy Castle”

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Winston Salem
Bellingham, Washington
“Dreamy Castle”
Reviewed 4 September 2010

been traveling around the world, i have a taste for hotel. this hotel remind me of France. the service was excellent, the history of this castle was interesting. i just love this place, too bad i'm already did my wedding, or else i would have a destination wedding here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Athens, Ga
Reviewed 2 July 2010

This hotel has a lot of old world charm and friendly staff, but that is where the good experience ended for me. The room is outdated. That should have been part of the charm, but my shower played a tune the whole time it was on and my bed was lumpy. I could have overlooked these factors and given a good rating, however what really put me over the edge was having the alarm clock in the room next to mine go off at 5:25 AM the first night. I wasn't sure it was an alarm at first because it just kept beeping and I have never had an alarm that didn't shut itself off after 2 minutes. I attempted to call the front desk and my phone, which worked earlier that day, was no longer functioning. I used my cell phone and got a very friendly, but unapologetic staff member. They came in and shut it off. I decided why try to sleep any longer and got up. After my shower, not one but two other alarms on the third floor were beeping! I just put my ipod in and got ready. I must have been alone on the floor because 30 minutes later they were still both going off! After breakfast, which I will admit was nice, I told the front desk about the alarms. Again, no apologies. Well what really sealed the deal is the fact that on the second day I got another rude awakening at the same time from the same room. I again tried to use the room phone, but it was still dead. I called and an unapologetic staff member, the same from the day before, stated that he thought they had unplugged it yesterday. I waited and someone came and shut it off. Not 15 minutes later the thing went off again! I called and the person at the front desk seemed exasperated, but still no apology. It is not yet 6 AM on this floor and I am still waiting for the next round of alarm bells. To the Graylyn- Invest in alarm clocks that automatically shut off and have your staff apologize, especially when something unavoidable happens two nights in a row! Thank goodness this trip was not on my bill and the university covered the cost.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank AthensNative
Georgia
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Graylyn is a beautiful estate in a great location across from Reynolda village and very close to Wake Forest. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is friendly, and the breakfast was nice. However, the room was not even average. We were in the Mews building and the room was musty and very humid. Our carpet was wet and our bedding was damp. The shower squeaked the entire time and there were hairs on the counter in the bathroom. There were also mosquitos in our room which was probably from someone leaving the door open. Our room opened directly to the outside. We were far enough away from the Manor House that we had to drive to breakfast. The Mews has a hospitality room with coffee, tea, and ice cream bars. The room was full of dirty dishes left there by other guests when I went to get tea. I really wanted to like Graylyn, but our room was terrible. I may try again if I got a room in the main house. The staff was friendly, but never offered to change our room or make ammends.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank TaylorwestGeorgia
Virginia
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at Graylyn while in town for a Wake Forest basketball game. They were offering a Valentine's rate of $139 which included a wonderful breakfast. We couldn't resist the offer and have always admired this gorgeous facility that is very close to the Wake Forest campus. Our room was in the Mews building, which is a short distance from the main house. The room was very comfortable and extremely quiet. In the morning we went for an hour walk over the grounds. The staff were lovely, breakfast wonderful and the facility very charming and quaint. If you are looking for a very quiet, beautiful setting away from the congestion of downtown, then you should definitely give Graylyn a try!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Spent 2 nights here for a work retreat.

General
Graylyn is a historic residence converted to a hotel. So all the rooms are unique. Because it was on old mansion, some of the modern comforts were retrofitted. So the bathrooms seem a bit out of place. The rooms are old (some people call it charming) but well maintained. Common areas (inside and out) are well kept.

You really need a vehicle if you plan to leave the property. They do provide a shuttle to nearby restaurants.

Staff is very friendly. When I drove up, the valet took me to the front desk, helped me check in, then took my bag and walked me to my room.

Stayed in the main building. Neat stone stairway. Bed was slightly lumpy but comfortable enough. Floors squeaked but I guess that is part of the charm. Wired Internet access was free. Water flow was sub-par. Just down the hall was the "ice cream" room where you can get coffee and eat all the ice cream you want (which I did not do).

Meals were all delicious and well prepared. Not sure how much it cost because things were covered by work.

Summary
Nice place for a meeting. Not really a place to take kids.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Orinda, CA
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Convenient place to stay for a visit to Wake Forest University. We were appointed a room (602) in the Gardener's Cottage and it was a spacious room with 2 king beds. The cottage is set up with 3 or 4 guest rooms that open to a common living area but there were no other guests there at the time so we had the living area to ourselves. We needed it because the air conditioning in our room was malfunctioning and the room was like a swamp. The carpeting was damp, the sheets were damp, the chair fabrics were damp and unfortunately we didn't realize that until late evening.....not much sleep that night and some of us ended up on the sofa in the liv room. Not much sympathy from the management at check out. The breakfast at the main lodge the next morning was terrific and of course the historic lodge itself was an architectural beauty. Rcommended with reservations.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 13 October 2008

As a prospective student, Wake Forest suggested I stay at Graylyn while I was taking a look at the school. I'm glad I did! When I called for directions to their facility, I was more than pleased to find myself talking to a VERY helpful gentleman at their guest services department. When I arrived, they knew my name and treated me warmly, the way an old acquaintance does. The lady at front desk was always available to answer even the most ridiculous questions I had (and believe me, being from out of town, I had a lot of those). I especially appreciated the fact that Graylyn was across the street from Reynolda house and down the street from SECCA and Wake Forest.
As far as the food is concerned, everything is AMAZING! I happen to be very fond of cheese grits, but their cheese grits were better than I had expected. They also had a wonderful selection of fresh fruit and herbal tea.
To be completely honest, I have read the reviews posted before mine, and I have to say, I didn't experience any of their problems. To all the reviewers who thought that housekeeping was making too much noise: They're just trying to do their job! Stop being such a baby. It's a historic site, people. The pipes are going to clank, and the furniture is not outdated, it's true to its period.
So to the chronic complainers, get a grip. This hotel is superb, and you know it.

• Liked — Historic house
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)