“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #73 of 730 Restaurants in Winston Salem
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Come and join us for great Thai food and Sushi and all your favorite cocktails, cold beer, and fine wine from our full service bar. Our sushi is Artisan-crafted to order from the freshest ingredients.
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Tried the Pad Thai with Chicken and Tofu. Pretty good and decent sized portions for lunch. Service was brisk and food came out freshly prepared. Good location in downtown area too. Would return if in the area.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 1 September 2018

We ate at Downtown Thai once this week and also ordered carryout from them (using Door Dash).

Food was consistently very good:

Thai Curries 9/10
The green curry was very flavorful

Chicken Satay 6/10
Good but would have been better grilled. Peanut sauce a little thin

Pad Thai 10/10
My Dad and Sister both loved the Pad Thai (and they are Pad Thai snobs. Loved it so much they had it for lunch and then ordered it again and had it delivered for dinner)

Shrimp spring rolls 9/10
Super fresh.

Rice 9/10
Loved their jasmine rice. Fresh. Wasn't sitting in a pot all day.

Service 8/10
Friendly. Very good service

Price 6/10
A little on the high side, but I'm happy to pay a little more for food of this quality.

Definitely reccomend

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 22 March 2018

It feels like my family visits here weekly, but it's likely twice a month over the course of the year. We live near downtown and can walk when the weather is nice. We get the craving for Pho and we have to go.

Disclaimer: this is my one and only experience with Pho. It's tasty and the restaurant atmosphere is one we like to be in so...we keep coming back.

Pho is served is a bowl that I would use as a medium/large mixing bowl at home. Broth, cilantro, green onions, rice noodles and the protein of your choice. You add your choice of fresh basil, jalapeños, bean sprouts, and limes, which is served separately. Also, a foursome of seasoning, including red chili, chili powder, pickled jalapeños, and ??? Also, Sriracha and Hoisin.

At lunch, small complementary fried rolls are served to each guest. They are typical but the dipping sauce makes them a treat.

My family has had the veggie, Seafood, Chicken, Beef, and mixed Beef versions of Pho. I prefer the straight up beef version which has thinly sliced beef that I think is actually cooked in the heat of the Pho/broth just prior to service. The chicken is good, and I loved the flavor, but I ultimately switched to the beef as my regular because the beef was more tender and I felt like the chicken was a bit dry.

The atmosphere here is cozy and comfortable. Even when the place is packed, it doesn't feel overly loud. Service is always excellent and attentive. I see the same people working here and they recognize us. I observe them and they are service oriented. They pay attention and are present, easy enough to flag if they are busy and you need something.

Sometimes we get the noodle dishes. I think the Pho is a better value, but the noodle dishes are yummy and decent portions for the price. We've ordered curry dishes, and while they were good, we ultimately thought that the portion wasn't worth the price.

At our most recent visit, there were signs saying that sushi was coming to the menu!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This place is perfect and delicious. They love their first responders! Definitely would recommend to anyone that love good food.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch during the work day. Very calm and quite. Ordered the pho and it was good....though they were out of bean sprouts (???). The serving looked big but really wasnt. For $10 I was a little like, "that's all". Best part was the complimentry spring rolls! The service was ok. I'll come back...maybe they'll have sprouts by then.

Date of visit: June 2017