All reviews bed and breakfast old salem b bs tavern restaurant overnight getaway yogurt breakfast was delicious historic area cookies quiche like coming home a ground floor room two story perfect place to stay thoroughly enjoyed our stay each morning wake forest
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed July 3, 2013. Excellent place to stay. Beatuifuly decorated period house with 12 rooms. Clean, friendly, comfortable and excellent location. Our Queen room was $125 including tax. Room had everything we needed including alarm clock and hair dryer. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend. Our experience was nothing like April 21 "too hot on 3rd floor"comments. Just saying...

Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a short get-a-way, spur of the moment. The B&B is located right in the middle of Old Salem which was so convenient. We were greeted by Sherry when we arrived, she was very friendly and very knowledgeable about the history. We were given a tour of the B&B and she explained the breakfast set up and times. We went out that evening and upon returning we found baked chocolate chip cookies and brownies available...yum! The room was nice and the outside deck area with rocking chairs was wonderful. For breakfast we enjoyed home-made french toast, sausage, muffins, etc. which was placed as a buffet style. Very nice and would stay again.

Date of stay: June 2013
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We recently stayed a few nights at the Augustus Zevely while visiting Old Salem and surrounding area. The innkeepers were attentive, the location was perfect -- nestled among the streets of Old Salem -- and the inn was quaint and quiet. We stayed in a room that had its own exterior entrance which led out onto a porch. We loved sitting there in the evenings or mornings enjoying the quiet and the breeze. One night we even heard the clip-clop of horses hooves and sure enough, a carriage was rolling down the street! Our room had a queen-sized bed and it slept very comfortably. Breakfast during the week was said to be lighter than on weekends, but we had more than enough variety to satisfy: boiled egg, sausage biscuit, fruit, juice, assorted sweet breads, yogurt, homemade granola, cereal. Very nice.

A few things to note: this is an old historic home and old homes have their eccentricities such as uneven temperatures; however, we had extra blankets at night and opened the windows one afternoon to get a little extra air so we made out fine. The queen bedroom was small and the bathroom was very small so those who travel with a lot of cosmetics, meds, etc. may have some space issues. (See photos). If we were to stay for more than a night or two, we would most likely ask to see a larger room.

We rated our stay as a "4" only because there were a few things that we have experienced at other places that were not present here: the common rooms were rather small for the number of bedrooms and didn't feel particularly inviting for mingling with other guests; I was surprised that there was not some type of refreshments (tea, lemonade, coffee, etc) available during the afternoons/evening (there is an ice bucket and glasses in the guest room if you bring your own cold drinks ). However I am sure had we specifically asked, the innkeeper would have found something for us.

The Old Salem area is lovely, as is the August Zevely Inn and its inkeepers. All in all, we had a very enjoyable visit and would visit again.

Room tip: No elevators. Quite a few stairs to first floor rooms and twice that to second floor. I wouldn't even think of floor 3 unless I was in pretty good shape. :-) Porches on first and second floors are worth getting outdoor-access rooms.
Date of stay: May 2013
1  Thank bwodom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I love historical homes and staying at B&B's, so when I needed to stay overnight in Winston-Salem recently, this was my top choice, but...

First the positives:

Location: Close to downtown Winston-Salem, UNC-School of the Arts & Salem College is right down the block, plus you are in the middle of historic Old Salem.

Breakfast/Service: The morning hostess / chef was very pleasant and helpful, showing me to a table and explaining the morning breakfast offerings and where to find drinks. I enjoyed the breakfast and had plenty to eat as it was served buffet style.

Now the negatives:

Room Temperature: It was TOO HOT on the 3rd floor all evening, night, morning long --- maybe it was just the weekend I was there, but who knows!

My room was # 302 or the Henry Petticord Room. It was early in April, but the weather had warmed up that weekend. Downstairs the temperature was fine, but upstairs on the 3rd floor it was extremely hot. I tried opening both windows and turning on the small portable fan, but nothing really helped. I turned the thermostat in the room down, but only warm air came out. Needless to say, I pretty much sweltered upstairs. I would not recommend staying on the 3rd floor unless you verify first that there is air conditioning and that it is actually working on the 3rd floor.

Service: Sorry, but although the a.m. Hostess/chef was extremely nice & helpful, I was not provided with a gracious welcome & tour when I arrived that others mention in their reviews. Perhaps she was tired or just too hot from being up on the 3rd floor getting my room ready!

Room: the room could use a little updating, especially the bathroom (looks 1960-1970's) and the TV is flat screen, but very tiny. Definitely need to splurge on air conditioning that works and a larger fan!

NOTE: The stairs leading to the 3rd floor are steep

Room tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor unless you get a written guarantee that you will not swelter during the spring & summer!!!
Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Charming old house in old Salem and ideally located to walk and explore the area. There is off-street parking available in a small lot around the corner. Our room (The Gunpowder Magazine Room) was charming and nicely furnished. The staff is friendly, attentive, and helpful with information about resturants and attractions in Old Salem. The breakfast is self-serve with good coffee, fresh biscuits, and an assortment of granola and freshly-baked breads and muffins. A really nice place to stay in a quiet, historic setting.

Room tip: Some rooms such as the Gunpowder Magazine Room have their own outside seating areas where it's nice to relax and read or just have a quiet moment.
Date of stay: April 2013