“Wonderful Weekend Away”

Augustus T. Zevely Inn
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is our third visit to the Augustus T. Zevely Inn in Old Salem NC. We are thrilled to be back in this comfortable Moravian Inn. It is close to Wake Forest U, which is our reason to visit. On this last visit we had my mother who is 87 years old share the Winter Kitchen suite with us. Our room had a king size bed , electric fireplace and private bath. Attached was a sitting room, another bedroom and bath. It is on the same level as breakfast so there were no stairs to climb. The room was large enough to accomodate us and we were very comfortable there. The breakfast are delicious served in a warm eatting area to mingle with other guess. Two other friends joined us overnight and they were able to set us up for breakfast in the formal dining room which is able to accomodate a larger group. There is a large multi level deck, in the back of the house which was perfect even in Feb to sit outside on the rockers and watch the squirrels play while having our early evening wine. Across the street is the local Tavern/ resturant which you just walk to. Food is served in a old fashion setting and is a nice way to finish the day. Old Salem has pleasant shops and historic tours also. I plan on going back , several more times , and you should too!!

Room Tip: winter or summer kitchen our the best
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jtantum

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have lost count of the number of times my wife and I have had the unforgettable pleasure of immersion into the luxurious history and hospitality of the Augustus T. Zevely Inn at Old Salem in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. One could not imagine a more authentic experience of Moravian life brought forward to the 21st century. The Innkeepers are genuine, compassionate, and professional people who go out of their way to accommodate their guests with quality and comfort. We just spent a glorious weekend in the Lucinda Blum Zevely room. In early December, 2013, we shared the Winter Kitchen Suite with our son and his wife. The fireplace is heavenly! Every breakfast is a culinary delight -- the old world ambiance of the breakfast room insures its memory. After the meal, we savor hot drinks in rocking chairs on the three-story veranda before beginning our stroll through Old Salem to the C. Winkler Bakery at the top of the hill.

I'm dumfounded by the negative review I read below. All I can say is, beware of error-ridden comments replete with bad grammar. In our many visits, we have found housekeeping to be meticulous and the rooms to be as fresh and clean as could possibly be.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Errol A
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I've stayed at the Zevely three times, and I love it! The rooms are beautiful, spotless, and comfortable. The food is fabulous! Best of all, the people are gracious and welcoming. The location is ideal. The furnishings are perfect. It may be time to update a sink, but everything was better than home beautiful. I adore the little breakfast room with the half door that can open outside.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Carolyn W
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My sister and I spent a 2nd Christmas weekend at the Augustus Zevely Inn. If it's possible, we enjoyed our 2nd stay even more than our 1st. It is right in the heart of Old Salem. The caretaker is so warm and welcoming. We've stayed in the Summer Kitchen and the Copper Smithy rooms - both are excellent, both on ground level. Our room was 'period' appointed, charming and very clean. The food was so good - both across the street at the Tavern for dinner, and at the Inn for breakfast. We come away relaxed and happy. No worries...worth every penny.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Cleanliness: I was skeptical because the house is old and I am allergic to dust and animal dander. I noticed when we booked that small pets could stay at an additional cost. This made me nervous so we only booked 1 of our 3 nights at the inn. Once we arrived, we fell in love. We rested in our room for the afternoon and I could tell that the inn was very clean as my allergies were not bothering me at all. This is rare! I am very sensitive to dust and especially cat dander but the inn was so clean that it didn't bother me at all. We went ahead and booked the next 2 nights and loved it.

Location: We were visiting Winston Salem for an interview so we didn't know about Old Salem. I felt like we hit the jackpot when we pulled up to the village and the inn. Old Salem is a beautiful old village with tours and shops. Staying here makes you feel like you're on a true vacation. It is so much more sweet and personal than staying at a hotel. We also ate out every night and loved how close the inn is to the restaurants downtown. We didn't have a bad meal for our entire 3 days

The Inn: The food was incredible! The staff was overly hospitable. The location was great.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I just read through all the glowing reviews --- did we stay at the same place? Tripadvisor is my go to for vacation plans so even though I loved the Zeverly Inn and it was a perfect location for my needs in W/S, it was dirty, dirty, dirty. I do realize it is a real live 1700's house, but there is no excuse for dirty. First, the location is so marvelous -- right smack in the middle of Old Salem, across the street from The Tavern ( heaven on earth) . ( Pleae note Old Salem is closed on Monday, I arrived on Sunday so I lost a whole day not realizing everything was closed). I stayed on the 3rd floor, so be aware that makes 3 very long flights of stairs from the back, with no help from the staff if you are staying for any length of time. It was miserably hot with the heat on in the room. ( The main rooms were miserably hot as well, so you won't want to spend any time downstairs). I turned my heat completely off and piled on all the blankets in the armoire. My room was badly in need of a coat of paint ( greasy handprints-- has to be YEARS since it was painted) the throw rugs have not been cleaned in years as well. The windows were covered in spider webs and stuff(inside and out). I went around to the far side of the bed( the one that had the nightstand) and just happened to have on black socks-- they were covered in dust and hair and grossness-- just gross. You really can't tell if the bathroom is clean because everthing is so old, but the moldings and doors were covered in inches of dust and hair. The breakfast was excellent. The cookies at night were excellent. I'm sure the porches in summer are wonderful. I would stay here again, but my husband would not because of the dirty, and the heat. The towels were good. There are rooms on the bottom floor if you can't take all the stairs.

Room Tip: lots of stairs to the third floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SVtravelagent
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My sister, a friend and myself got to the Inn to be meet by Linda, who took us to the Winter Kitchen Suite, which was perfect for us. We had a blast. It was so nice to have a place to stay in the middle of W-S so we could walk as much as we wanted and take a break when we wanted. Linda took great care of us, made sure there was hot water for tea and that we knew where everything was and/or how it worked. She was taking care of us before we got there. My sister had booked a room on the 3rd floor online, Linda called to let us know that the stairs to the third floor were not for the faint of heart or week of knee and found us a different room. While there was a continental breakfast they included additional touches that kept it from being the standard fare. When we were there, they had homemade sausage biscuits and a wonderful mixed fruit, and on Saturday they had two types of french toast, two types of sausages, and more fruit. Let me tell you the french bread french toast was soooo good! Keeping to the food theme the Tavern next door is wonderful. It was so good we went back the second night!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends