“Terrific Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winston Salem
Augustus T. Zevely Inn
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Terrific Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2005

If you want to be treated like you were at your best friends house come here. My sisters and I spent a night celebrating our birthdays. Dave and Larry went out of their way to make the dining room look special with silver, candlelabras, china and crystal surrounding the homemade cake. They both were so friendly. The room we chose was the winter kitchen which accommodated us three very well. Love the furnishings and the cleanliness. Our only regret is that we didn't have another night to spend. We were able to enjoy the company of all the guest who shared in the celebration. Great experience.The weather was perfect. The color of the leaves breath taking. Can't wait to go to Old Salem again. LOVED the city. The Salem Inn is a must. We ate there twice. Also rock till your hearts content on the porch. Lovely Inn. Parking is great too. Count me in for another stay.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank mcculloughs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2005

I stayed here for two days recently and was quite pleased with it. The innkeeper was very friendly and courteous, and though our room was on the ground floor directly across from the housekeeper/janitor room they didn't bother us a bit and were helpful when we needed them. The room itself was very clean, and had all the standard hotel variety amenities including cable tv. As the other reviews noted they serve wine and cheese in the evenings, and the breakfast on both days was delicious as prepared by the innkeeper himself. This bed and breakfast is also right in Old Salem making all the sights right within walking distance, and it is directly across from the Salem Tavern. The only complaints I can muster is the noise from the upper floors caused by people stepping on the old wooden floors, and our room's lock was difficult to open at times. But, all in all I was satisfied so I do recommend this place for your stay.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank TheDragon1
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2005

Ever been to a conference for work and wish you had a cozier place to stay than the hosting hotel? With this in mind, I booked a room at the August T. Zevely Inn, complete with fireplace. I lured my husband away from his business for an overnight getaway.
I guess I should have suspected a lack of professionalism when I did not receive a response to my email and it took the innkeeper two days to return my follow-up telephone call.
However, I reserved judgment because I know we all get swamped and the inn looked so quaint on the website. Who hasn't been misled by selective photography on the Web?
From a bed and breakfast, one generally expects little extras, fluffy pillows, nice towels, gracious hosts, etc. That's why we go to B&B's right?
Here was our experience:
1. First floor room meant basement, entrance under a soggy stairway complete with cobwebs. Inside dank and not quite clean, bugs, and plenty of mildew. Stinky.
2. Thin, scratchy towels and a bathroom sink that leaked on your foot.
3. Breakfast: Bags of bagels and economy-sized Folgers
4. The maid, after smoking a cigarette outside of our doorway and yelling at the innkeeper, barged into our room without knocking and wanted to know if we were ready to leave yet. It was 10:15 am.
5. Did I mention the fireplace? Oh yes, it was filthy and inoperable.

So much for romance.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

We were only able to stay in Old Salem for one night. We booked ahead of time and were very pleased with our choice. The 3 people we met were extremely helpful and wonderful to talk to. Our room was clean and comfortable and we were surprised it had a TV with remote which was nice. There are several areas to sit -either outside in rocking chairs or in the front parlor. (we played checkers there until dinner across the street) They served wine and cheese in the evening and had a light breakfast in the morning which was very nice. I would recommend this B&B to anyone who is visiting Old Salem and wants to immerse themselves in the village and historical context.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank PhxtoNC
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2004

We stayed here one night on our honeymoon in mid-september. It was nice, clean. Wine was available in the evening. The lady who checked us in was very friendly. We ate across the street which was good and then felt safe walking around the area at night (near campus). Doors are a little sticky and we felt the whole world would wake up when we opened it.

2 Thank legolaceration
Palm Bay, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2003

We recently stayed at the Zeverly House and found it very comfortable.
It was not the best B&B that we've stayed at however. The breakfast was good but there were not enough tables in the dining room for everyone to sit. Luckily it was a beautiful day and we sat out on the porch and ate. The owner said usually everyone does not come to breakfast at the same time and this is not a problem. The young lady who checked us in was inexperienced and had to redo our bill but it did get straighteded out. The location is great if you are going to sitesee in Old Salem. If you have a student at Salem college it is also a very good location.
You will not have to drive, you are right next to the campus. The "housekeeper" was a little rough around the edges.

6 Thank MommamurphyFlorida
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2003

I grew up in W-S, and was excited to take my husband up there on our one year anniversary. I called and made reservations, but when we arrived, they had overbooked and we didn't have a room. Luckily, the Brookstown Inn was able to accomodate us on the short notice, and we had a very enjoyable stay there.

That was three years ago. When we week back this past Labor Day weekend (2003), I decided to give the Zevely another chance. This time, we had a room! However, the staff seemed inexperienced and was unprepared to check in guests, though they did let us in our room. When we mentioned what happened to us last time we tried to stay there, we got a "that's too bad" response.

We stayed there four nights. Only one day was our bed made up. The shower curtain was mildewed. And to top it all off, our last night there, the *faulty* fire alarm went off at 3:30 AM. We were the only guests there that night other than an older woman. The three of us tried to get a hold of someone via phone, as the innkeeper was not there. After 30 minutes or so, a lady who was there to watch the place for the night, finally emerges from her room and cuts off the alarm about 10 minutes later. I understand that these things happen, however, at least extend an apology. When we checked out the next day, not-so-much as a word was said about the incident. Finally, my husband brought it up...and still no apology. I find this unacceptable for anyone in the customer-service industry. I will not stay there again.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member