“Wonderfully Ecclectic Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winston Salem
Summit Street Bed and Breakfast Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Wonderfully Ecclectic Inn”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have stayed in the same room (222) twice at the 420 location and love it. It's delightfully weird, with antiques ranging in styles and eras, but conveniently modernized with apple TV/radio - including hundreds of free movies. The owner, Ken, was very accommodating and sends updates, directions that we needed to local attractions, etc. via text, which makes things super easy. Last year, I left a comment card that it would have been nice to have had tea instead of or in addition to the coffee provided in the room, and this year, he made sure to point out that he had left some on hand for me, and even told me where to find more if I needed it - now that's service! Breakfast consists of quiche, fruit, pastries and oj, all of which is in a mini-fridge in your room (with a microwave for nuking it if you want it warmed), so you can lounge around in the bathrobes provided and eat when it's convenient for you. The oversized Jacuzzi tub is wonderful, especially when you can relax to a range of music channels provided through the tv and speakers placed throughout the suite. The bathroom is on the older side, so don't expect granite countertops and marble floors, but do expect lots of character, comfy beds, and friendly service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emily P

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Morrisville, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I've stayed at Ken's B&B probably a dozen times over the past 7-8 years, always in the 420 Summit Str house - I think I've been in almost every room now. It's unlike any other place I've ever stayed! It's a truly romantic, retro experience. The decor is fantastic... every room is filled top to bottom with a wonderful eclectic mix of old-timey artwork and artifacts. I love the ancient type writers and art deco pieces. And yet, all the furnishings are very comfortable. The beds are big and comfy, and the jacuzzi tubs are massive! And despite the retro styling, the rooms are packed with modern amenities - as a techie, I really appreciate having them. Every room has a flat panel TV with an Apple TV (filled with movies and music, and allowing AirPlay!), a CD stereo system with aux input and speakers in the bedroom and tub room, a stocked mini fridge and a microwave, and more (see his web site). He also has a Nest thermostat in every room (Ken actually asked what temp I would like my room when I arrived) and wifi throughout the house. As if that weren't enough, he has a nice little parlor on the main floor with a full size pool table, a chess board, and other games. I love that every room has a real fireplace, too - very romantic for the winter months. Ken is a wonderful, friendly host, and has never failed to treat me well.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures and floor plans on his web site. I think all the rooms are good, it just depend...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Carey P
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Fantastic service by Ken Land. Amazing house with lots of history and amenities. Great location.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Jpschwartz99
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed here recently. The inside is very nice and tastefully decorated. Our room was wonderful, and had a very large bedroom, bathroom and breakfast area. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. There were wooden shutters on the windows to let you sleep as late as you want. (In Winston-Salem, regardless of where you stay -- on Sundays, beware, as the church bells go off at 8:00 a.m.) It was a good, safe location and we were able to walk everywhere. The only partking is on street, but there was plenty of it. I deducted a star because it does look kind of run down on the outside. I wish the owner took as much care of the outside of the building as he obviously puts on the inside. We stayed two nights and had broccoli and cheese quiche each day (just as previous writers had warned). It was very good, and don't let the fact that you'll get the same thing each day deter you, as there is a ton of food --yogurt, fresh fruit, muffins, croissants, and other pastries.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Christie M
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2010

3rd visit for my wife and I in the last several years. First two trips were perfect. Third one not so good. When we checked in on Friday our room was 80 degrees When I asked the inn keeper about it he told me to turn the fan on and the room would cool down. He also told me to not turn thr tempeture below 70 as the ac unit would freeze up. This should have been a red flag for us but we went ahead and took the room. It did get down to 75 that night and with the fan it was ok. The second night was a nighmare. When we returned to the room after being out all day it was 80 again. When we woke up (after sweating all night it was 85) We left an hour later and left the host a note. We also left him a text as he communicated this way and still no response. We loved this place the first 3 times and thought the host would respond to our complaint. We will not return Skip Francis

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank francisint20
Connecticut
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We've stayed at this B&B several times. It's legitimately funky and charming, with the ramshackle exterior appearance of the two separate Inn buildings (reminiscent of the Addams family!) more than offset by the excellent bedding, big Jacuzzis and state-of-the-art electronics within.

The in-room. microwavable breakfast includes good coffee, fresh-squeezed orange juice, fruit and and tasty quiches and muffins. We happen to like the ability to eat when we want at a set table within our suite -- but others may have different preferences.

However, the innkeeper's response to difficult economic conditions seems to have been to increase room rates and decrease service -- which as others have pointed out is not delivered with a smile. Once one begins to get a bad taste in one's mouth during a stay, the shortcomings of the establishment become more evident. In the case of the Summit Street Inns, these include worn and soiled carpet, taped-up plastic in the shower, public areas that seem increasingly dank every time we visit, and signage that verges on the hostile.

We'll likely seek out other alternatives the next time we're in the area -- assuming that they will be more eager for our business.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank HBStore
Williamsburg, VA
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We stayed here twice in September 2009; room 222 both times. The room was immaculate and beautifully furnished with many Victorian antiques. The innkeeper was friendly and helpful, and not “in your face”. Much has been said in the other reviews about the breakfast, so let me address that here. Breakfast is pre-made (coffee, juice, bagel, fruit cup, broccoli quiche) and waiting in the refrigerator; there is a microwave, coffee-maker, and small table and chairs. At the time of your choice, you just heat up the quiche according to the instructions and breakfast is served! I like the traditional communal B&B breakfasts too, but this suited us just fine, and we could eat on our own time schedule.

The Inn is located in the West End neighborhood with architecturally interesting homes and a lovely little park nearby. Just 2 blocks away were several nice restaurants; we ate at the 4th Street Filling Station and West End Café; both were very good! I imagine this Inn would be popular with business travelers who want something different from the usual cookie-cutter hotel room: it’s close to downtown, within easy walking distance of restaurants, and doesn’t have the “house party” feel that some B&Bs do.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple